Favourite Cartoon Cartoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toonyboy12

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 29, 2010, 07:03:31 PM
Yeah, it really depends on the views of the specific person. Some people I know just don't understand that cartoons have essentially been able to appeal to adults since the beginning of animation (in fact a lot of original cartoons were specifically designed to appeal to adults, including a lot of the earliest Looney Tunes shorts, as well as a lot of silent stuff even predating that), and that's fine because since they didn't grow up with cartoons as a heavy influence, its understandable that they just, well....don't understand that its more than just for kids.

I think that certain shows such as the Simpsons have managed to break that barrier for many people, but there are still some people who remain unconvinced, and personally I'm fine enough with that, as long as they don't look down on others who do get enjoyment out of cartoons and animated works in general.

i guess thats understandable

but alot of toons in the 90s had alot of adult jokes in them (ren and stimpy being the most infamous)

i mean i recently rewatched courage the cowardly dog and  i actualy got more of the references of the show as a teen than i would of as a kid (like how freeky fred is loosly based off of sweeny todd)

Avaitor

I'm not sure if this is really the right thread, since the show isn't technically considered a Cartoon Cartoon, but whatever, it's just a label and I don't think this fits in the worst CN originals thread. But to my point, I was able to experience Boomerang for a little today, and Foster's was on. While I still think that it's better than most of what the network was making at the time, I can safely say that my love affair is over with the show.

And it's sad too, since I appreciate that the show could go a long time without a joke. That's a trick from older sitcoms that you just don't see used as much, unless a show fancies itself as a dramedy, but at the same time, I don't think the characters are all that strong enough to hold that long without any big laughs. Mostly, it just meanders on and isn't all that fun to watch.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The only thing about the show I liked was the premiere movie, but the show ended up nothing like it.

It was probably doubly disappointing to me considering the pedigree behind it and the fact that I just didn't enjoy it. Of Craig McCracken's work, it's probably my least favorite by and far.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Funny, I'm still interested in seeing the show after the last time we talked about it and you know I fucking hated (ok, not that strong but still) that show.

I thought this thread was bumped so someone can post another list today so I might as well do it anyway:

5. Johnny Bravo
4. Powerpuff Girls
3. Courage
2. Ed, Edd 'n Eddy
1. Dexter

I haven't seen EEE in forever (thanks CN  :unimpressed:) but my taste in cartoons has barely changed so I doubt I'd move it down. I've seen Courage here and there on Boomerang a few years ago, I believe, but I watched the show more than Johnny Bravo and heck, maybe even more than PPG, back in the day. They seemed to play The Cowardly Dog a lot back than, so I think my placement is safe with that one as well. I will forever hate Cow & Chicken. Also, Billy & Mandy has always bored me. I only like on CC episode (the pilot with the giant cigarette) and two BM episodes..ok, 3. The DBZ one, the pilot (more irony) and the clown episode.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Y'all know that the Ed boys will always be my #1, but my second place usually ties between Dexter, Johnny, Powerpuff, and Sheep. I like them all a lot, but it depends on my mood. Right now, I probably couldn't pick one, though. After those, I'd probably either go with Courage or Billy & Mandy, but probably Courage for now since I've seen more of it recently. I still like Cow & Chicken and I Am Weasel pretty well, but I'm not sure if I'd watch them if they were made now, like I would if any of the others would. And my opinion on Time Squad has always stayed the same- there's some good things about it (mostly Mark Hamill as Larry 3000), but there isn't really enough about it that's special.

Of the other shows from that era, I don't really care. As for later CN originals, there are a solid handful that have good qualities about them (including Fosters), but I can't say that I care about any of them as much as the older shows.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, PPG, Courage, and the Eds, are my top five, I'd say. I probably couldn't pick an order for them, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

As far as Foster's go, I still think "Good Wilt Hunting" and "Destination: Imagination" were pretty great, and I love the Jackie Khones and Bloo Superdude episodes. Outside of those episodes, though, my mileage with the show varies these days. I re-watched it all on Boomerang, and I simply didn't enjoy it consistently enough to ever really do it again, not to mention there are an unfortunate number of episodes I really can't stand to watch these days too.

On the subject of favorite cartoon cartoons, for me Billy and Many is probably my favorite, and it's the one I enjoy rewatching the most. Ed, Edd, n'Eddy is close behind as second, and then after that is probably Sheep, then Dexter, then PPG, then Courage. C&C and JB as a whole are kind of hit and miss for me these days.

As far as later CN shows go, I'd say Flapjack, Regular Show, and Clarence (young, yes, but it's already won me over) are the only ones I'd consider favorites, but I'd say I like them as much or more than PPG.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, I have to say that I actually enjoyed Flapjack quite a bit. I think it kind of got thrown out by CN a bit too early and forgotten for Regular Show and Adventure Time much too easily.

Also, Billy & Mandy had some really clever writing. I'm not that big on the first season, but I really enjoyed the rest. It was also a shame that Underfist didn't get a spin-off, but it made for a great finale for the show.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 10:03:22 PM
Y'all know that the Ed boys will always be my #1, but my second place usually ties between Dexter, Johnny, Powerpuff, and Sheep. I like them all a lot, but it depends on my mood. Right now, I probably couldn't pick one, though. After those, I'd probably either go with Courage or Billy & Mandy, but probably Courage for now since I've seen more of it recently. I still like Cow & Chicken and I Am Weasel pretty well, but I'm not sure if I'd watch them if they were made now, like I would if any of the others would. And my opinion on Time Squad has always stayed the same- there's some good things about it (mostly Mark Hamill as Larry 3000), but there isn't really enough about it that's special.

Of the other shows from that era, I don't really care. As for later CN originals, there are a solid handful that have good qualities about them (including Fosters), but I can't say that I care about any of them as much as the older shows.
I've watched very very little of Sheep. I think I've just seen a commercial or something so I keep on forgetting its existence. :sweat: Johnny Bravo stays at the bottom out of my 5 due to its quality and vision being filmsy too often. Funny, I could watch it endlessly (excluding the last season) and probably more frequently than the other shows but I can't say a lot of it is anything special. It's pretty much just stupid fun for the most part to me.

As for other comedy originals, I like Regular Show, Duck Dodgers and MAD. I seem to be the only one here who likes the latter but I thought it was a funny half hour show. Also, Robot Chicken, since its basically the same thing.

LumRanmaYasha

I enjoyed MAD as well. Some of the segments could be hit or miss, but that's to be expected from sketch comedies, and they came up with a lot of really funny episodes overall. And I also like Robot Chicken too.

gunswordfist

I had a feeling you'd like it. :D You tend to like shows that I do but no one else does.

LumRanmaYasha

Since I posted my top favorite Nicktoons yesterday, I might as well do the same for Cartoon Network's stuff. I'm going to include the post-cartoon cartoons output too, since I might as well.

1. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy
2. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
3. Dexter's Laboratory
4. Courage the Cowardly Dog
5. The Powerpuff Girls
6. Regular Show
7. Sheep in the Big City
8. Megas XLR
9. Johnny Bravo
10. Cow & Chicken

Unlike with the Nicktoons list, I didn't really have to stretch to make a top ten, and there are still a couple shows besides these that I quite like. No surprise, since I always did prefer Cartoon Network's stuff to Nickelodeon's.

Spark Of Spirit

1. Dexter's Laboratory
2. Courage the Cowardly Dog
3. The Powerpuff Girls
4. Johnny Bravo
5. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy
6. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
7. Sheep in the Big City
8. The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
9. Megas XLR
10. Cow & Chicken

Yep, that was much easier.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

1. Megas
2. Courage
3. PPG
4. Johnny
5. Dexter
6. Ed
7. Sheep
8. Grim
9. 2SD (it may have not been a CN original, but shut up, I still watched it here)
10. Cow

Avaitor

1- Ed, Edd n' Eddy
2- Sheep in the Big City
3- Johnny Bravo
4- The Powerpuff Girls
5- Dexter's Laboratory
6- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
7- Courage the Cowardly Dog
8- Sym-Bionic Titan
9- Adventure Time
10- Samurai Jack

One of these days, I'll give Megas another chance, as well as go back into Flapjack. 2 Stupid Dogs and Space Ghost deserve honorable mentions.

New blog!