Favourite Cartoon Cartoons

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomysterion X. Prime

It wouldn't hurt to bring this topic back as well.  :blush:

Here's some of mine! (I forgot what I originally wrote, since the old board died)

Dexter's Lab- Still with such classic trippy moments like the Tom & Jerry parody and that episode with Koosalagooplagoop (or however you say that guy's name).
Johnny Bravo- Heck, those guest star appearances of people like Adam West, Donny Osmond, and Farrah Fawcett actually worked extremely well in the first season.
Cow & Chicken- Just as memorable as Nick's Ren & Stimpy, only with less adult gags.
Powerpuff Girls- Still with a memorable set of evil villians, as the cute charm of the Powerpuffs themselves.  :swoon:
Ed, Edd 'n Eddy- One of those cartoons I thought I didn't like at first, until in 2005, when I found out how funny the series is. Those childish scams the Eds always pull off in every episode never fail to bore me.
Courage the Cowardly Dog- Over Scooby-Doo? Why yes, due to having more authentic scary cartoon monsters than the Scooby-Doo set.

Spark Of Spirit

Cow & Chicken is Ren & Stimpy done right, IMO. Same style of humor, but with much better execution.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Funny, I'm not a big fan of Ren and Stimpy, but having seen a lot of Cow and Chicken as a kid, it embodied a lot of the things that I personally hated about Ren and Stimpy, and less of the things that still made it entertaining for me. That's just me, though.

Anyways, my favorite Cartoon Cartoon has always been, and always shall be, Johnny Bravo. Sure, the seasons that came after the show's initial cancellation are complete ass, but those first 3 seasons were comedy gold. It didn't rely on stupidly cheap jokes or anything like that, but just had genuinely funny characters with genuinely funny dialogue thanks to some sharp writing.

Dexter's Laboratory would be a close second for me.

Avaitor

I posted this on FB, but no one noticed it.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite post-season 1 JB episodes. I really hope we get the rest of this show on DVD, but that's probably not going to happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

atm, if I had to rank the first 8 Cartoon Cartoons, it'd probably go like

EEnE
PPG
Dex
JB
C&C
Courage
Weasel
ML&O

PPG, Dexter's Lab, and Johnny are interchangeable at any given time. I haven't seen much of Weasel at all in years, but it was always about equal to Cow & Chicken. Maybe if I see some of it again, I can make a more firm decision.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I actually like all of those except ML&O. That one never really seemed to work like the others did.

Avaitor

I liked it as a kid, but watching it now, it's by far the weak link in the bunch.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe that's why it was always segregated from the rest of the CCs, and never really made any appearances on CC Fridays' like all of the other CCs.

Oh, BTW Avaitor, where does Sheep in the Big City rank on your list?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, and where does Billy and Mandy rank on your list, as well?

Avaitor

You want me to do a ranking of them all?

EEnE
Sheep
PPG
Dex
JB
B&M
C&C
Courage
Weasel
Time Squad
Evil CC
KND
Robot Jones
ML&O

Sheep has always struck a chord with me that most of the others couldn't. I could probably switch it up with Powerpuff, Dexter or Johnny, but it'll always be near the top for me.

If you want me to put Samurai Jack on there, it'd probably be between Grim and Cow & Chicken.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who really enjoyed KND for what it was. It was just a fun, entertaining show that was a secret agent organization of kids kind of show. At the very least I don't get what people disliked about it. I've always seen people saying stuff like "that show sucked" or "crap like KND," but have never once heard a convincing complaint about it. I get the feeling that its just one of "those shows," that somehow people decide needs to be that one show that needs to get ragged on since every other show gets praised too much, or something like that. Anyways, its not nearly one of my favorite CCs, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I do really need to re-watch EE n' E, though.

Oh, BTW, what did people think of PPG the movie, the only CC to get a theatrically released motion picture (I know that EE n' E got one for TV, which I still need to see, but I specifically mean this one as a theatrical release)? I myself haven't seen it in ages, but I plan on re-watching it soon.

Spark Of Spirit

KND is fine, and I watch it when it's on, but it's not really a favorite of mine.

I thought the PPG movie was fine, actually. But I can see why hardcore fans of the show might not like it. It is a bit too heavy on the serious side. But I am still surprised that it bombed so hard to this day.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 28, 2010, 08:53:30 PM
Oh, BTW, what did people think of PPG the movie, the only CC to get a theatrically released motion picture (I know that EE n' E got one for TV, which I still need to see, but I specifically mean this one as a theatrical release)? I myself haven't seen it in ages, but I plan on re-watching it soon.
It was okay. Took itself a little too seriously, but there was enough about the movie that worked to make it decent. I haven't seen it in ages myself however, so I need to fix that as well.

I think the movie took a toll for the worse on the series after that. Craig McCracken didn't like how serious it was, and started doing goofier plots on the show that didn't really fit in with the show. PPG had a great sense of humor, but there was enough heart and character development to balance the funny parts out, and the show lost it's balance after the movie.

And I think Craig completely lost that with Foster's, which was way too wacky for it's own good, a few episodes aside.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I really couldn't get into Fosters. The movie/premiere was a good start, but damn if I lost a ton of interest when the show actually started.