Hack n' Slash games

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, April 11, 2011, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 13, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
A Power Stone HD collection would be great. There is that PSP collection, but to me PS games aren't really meant to be played on handheld consoles, as I can't imagine playing it on such a small screen since the characters would end up looking like specs on a screen like that.

As for other HD collections which I would love, I can think of at least a few:

Jet Set Radio HD Collection
Resident Evil HD Collection (consisting of RE 0, 1, 2, and 3)
Oddworld HD Collection (both the PS1 and XBOX games)
Otogi HD Collection
KOTOR HD Collection
Soul Reaver HD Collection
TimeSplitters HD Collection
That's not the problem with the PSP games. The problem is the ONE PLAYER ONLY. I remember hearing that on I believe some G4 review. Ridonkulous.

TimeSplitters reminds me that I can't play 2 on my 360. Maybe I should try to get the Xbox my cousin is having me hold for him to work. Have you played 3? Is so, how good is it?

Also, I'd add REmake to that Resident Evil collection since you put 0 and all in it. And Code Veronica too since I hear it's supposed to be the real RE3.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I purposely didn't list Code Veronica and RE4 since both of those have already been portend to the HD consoles, even though neither of them have had the care put into them that most true HD ports get (they still have a lot of scenes that look like they were left in SD, but just rendered to fit on an HD TV screen, which makes them end up looking horrible due to the poor transition).

Spark Of Spirit

I have the Power Stone Collection and it's just as EK says. It's way too hard to play most of the time because of how small the screen is. Power Stone was made for the big screen.

IMO, Timesplitters 3 is the best one, multiplayer is a toss up between it and 2, but single player is by far better in 3. But it also doesn't work on the 360. The only current gen system that can play TS2 and 3 is the Wii of all things... or if you have one of those rare BC PS3s.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 13, 2012, 09:32:59 PM
I have the Power Stone Collection and it's just as EK says. It's way too hard to play most of the time because of how small the screen is. Power Stone was made for the big screen.

IMO, Timesplitters 3 is the best one, multiplayer is a toss up between it and 2, but single player is by far better in 3. But it also doesn't work on the 360. The only current gen system that can play TS2 and 3 is the Wii of all things... or if you have one of those rare BC PS3s.
Dammit! *runs to hook up Xbox*

Back on topic, is there any hack n slash games to look forward to? The genre is getting much less love this gen.

Rynnec

Metal Gear Rising and...that's about it. There's been talks of a Bayonetta 2, but I'm not sure if it's even in development yet.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 13, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
Also, I'd add REmake to that Resident Evil collection since you put 0 and all in it. And Code Veronica too since I hear it's supposed to be the real RE3.
Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee that REmake will never be ported to HD consoles since the game is locked at 4:3 resolution and tons of bitches will cry about that. The weird thing is that even the PS1 games, Code Veronica, and 0 (which is from the same console as the remake) scale up to 16:9 perfectly.

Anyway, fuck porting RE 2 and 3, we need straight-up remakes for them a la the first game. Most of the art assets are basically done due to the creation of the Chronicles games and Operation Raccoon City, so I don't see why they'd have any reason not to remake these classics.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on February 13, 2012, 10:16:17 PM
Metal Gear Rising and...that's about it. There's been talks of a Bayonetta 2, but I'm not sure if it's even in development yet.
That reminds me, I did say that MGR is the only hack n slash I'm looking forward to and of course I'd want to play Bayonetta 2.

gunswordfist

I prefer hack n slashes to have enemies/bosses that are close to human size and have a weapon. Basically, if you are taller than a ceiling, you are too big.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 26, 2012, 09:01:34 PM
I prefer hack n slashes to have enemies/bosses that are close to human size and have a weapon. Basically, if you are taller than a ceiling, you are too big.
YES. Best boss fights of all time:

Nelo Angelo
Vergil
Doku
Genshin
Jeanne
Henry
Azel (beat 'em up, not hack 'n slash, but still)

FACT.

Rynnec

Same here. While I don't genreally mind bigger bosses, there's just something about fighting someone who's roughly the same size as you as the final boss. For me, the final boss with Vergil in DMC3 is much more epic than any of those "epic" giant final bosses.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 26, 2012, 09:06:32 PM
For me, the final boss with Vergil in DMC3 is much more epic than any of those "epic" giant final bosses.
The final showdowns with Vergil in DMC 3 and Azel in God Hand are the greatest moments in gaming period.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 26, 2012, 09:02:53 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 26, 2012, 09:01:34 PM
YES. Best boss fights of all time:

Nelo Angelo
Vergil
Doku
Genshin
Jeanne
Henry
Azel (beat 'em up, not hack 'n slash, but still)

FACT.
I only know the first 5. The last boss fight with Jeanne is pretty crazy.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 26, 2012, 09:06:32 PM
Same here. While I don't genreally mind bigger bosses, there's just something about fighting someone who's roughly the same size as you as the final boss. For me, the final boss with Vergil in DMC3 is much more epic than any of those "epic" giant final bosses.
Amen. I like my boss fights without the annoying camera angle and having to wait to dodge the giant boss' slow attack.

Foggle

Henry is the final boss of No More Heroes and Azel is the evil counterpart to the player character in God Hand.

gunswordfist

Awww, I had a feeling Henry was a No More Heroes boss.