Which Game Series Are Dead To You?

Started by gunswordfist, April 14, 2011, 01:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Meaning, which ones have you completely given up on?

Me? Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Max Payne. They are deader than Elvis to me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Let's see, I half agree with GSF on Ninja Gaiden, as I have next to no faith in Hayashi's abilities to make a good NG game on his own (also, most of the so-called "better changes" that the guy claims will improve the series seems to be his way of saying that he wants to make it into a cheap God of War clone, or something even far worse than that). Still, a small part of me hopes that he can prove me wrong, but I've already learned my lesson from NGS2, and I won't expect much from NG3 when that comes out.

As for the DMC reboot, I haven't seen any gameplay so I can't be unfair and say that it will suck on those grounds, but just like everyone else I absolutely detest the new Dante and think that this whole "DMC needs to be more western" ideal is complete BS. I found the series to already be more than western enough, and don't see how making Dante look like an emo meth-addict really makes him more appealing at all. Also, DMC needs to have good combat, and I have yet to see a game made by Ninja Theory with a level of combat even close to that seen in DMC (or even freaking God of War, for that matter).

As for Max Payne, I don't even know anymore of MP3 is ever going to happen, and if it did I probably wouldn't like the new theme and story direction that its going in, but if the gameplay was still fun I would still play it. That said, since I haven't heard anything about the sequel in over 2 years, now, you could say that the series is pretty much dead in terms of the fact that it probably won't be ever getting a sequel, period.

As for other video game series, I can't really think of any off the top of my head. Well....I guess Halo is pretty dead, if you think about it. I know that they will make more inevitable sequels or spin-off games in the franchise, but without Bungie it will probably just end up turning into another Call of Duty clone, so I really have no more interest in that franchise, to be honest.

A while ago I would have said that Sonic was dead to me, but apparently Colors is supposed to be really good or something like that....so....

gunswordfist

Well to me, that DMC reboot trailer has killed the series several times over. :> I have little faith in any NG sequels and unless Remedy comes back to Max Payne, it's dead to me.

Foggle

I see you guys haven't seen the recent EDGE scans about Max Payne 3. Shit looks and sounds fucking awesome and I feel bad for dissing Rockstar when it was first announced.

Painkiller stands out as probably the only amazing series that's truly killed itself for me in released game form (Ninja Gaiden 3 and DmC aren't out yet). Sure, Overdose was bad, but Resurrection was mindbogglingly terrible. That game is so horrifically insipid that it actually made me physically angry. Ugh.

gunswordfist

Scans look good. Still pissed about cover though.

Spark Of Spirit

Metal Gear since I preferred the simpler overhead gameplay and story, and they refuse to make one without 'Solid' in the title for whatever reason.

Probably Mega Man, since after Legends 3 the series will most likely drift off into obscurity.

There's few series that I outright gave up on, but Sonic was really close with the Heroes/Shadow/06 downhill plummet. If it wasn't for the promising Unleashed (The guy who invented the werehog idiocy is now at Square Enix, rejoice!) and the great handheld games in between Adventure 2 and Colors, I probably would have just given up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on April 16, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Metal Gear since I preferred the simpler overhead gameplay and story, and they refuse to make one without 'Solid' in the title for whatever reason.
"Solid" refers to the 3D graphics.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2011, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on April 16, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
"Solid" refers to the 3D graphics.

The 'Solid' moniker never leaves.  :'(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on April 16, 2011, 02:38:16 PM
The 'Solid' moniker never leaves.  :'(
Well, fuck.

Speaking of Ghost Babel, that game was GREAT! :joy:

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it was. I love overhead Metal Gear games a lot, which is why I'm disappointed that they don't seem to make them anymore. Especially on handhelds.  :(

Mega Man Legends 3, dude. 3DS.

Daxdiv

Crash Bandicoot Crash entered a bit of a slump since Naughty Dog gave up the rights to Universal. I'd say that Crash Twinsanity was the only post-ND game from the series that I enjoyed. It was pretty close to the formula at hand and it had a decent looking bunch of characters. Crash of the Titans was... something else. It didn't feel like a Crash game at all. It felt like that someone at the studio had an original idea, but at the last second decided to make it a Crash Bandicoot game. That and the redesigns. Dear god, don't get me started on how godawful these redesigns are.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Crash Bandicoot. The Naughty Dog games will forever have a special place in my heart for being my earliest 3D platformers and PSX games, but everything afterward is either forgettable or complete garbage.

Spyro the Dragon. Just like Crash, the original trilogy, while extremely dated, are still playable. The stuff afterward is downright embarrassing, and Kotick's latest cash grab is completely insulting and infuriating. 

Sonic the Hedgehog. Sorry to admit it, but I pretty much lost all interest in his series after Heroes, and despite trying Rush, Unleashed and the Advance games, I just can't get into it anymore. I might give Anniversary a try, but honestly I'm not feeling compelled to try it.

I think I'll prematurely throw in Silent Hill into this pile. Have you seen the latest game? It looks like Heavy Rain with forced multiplayer. What the fuck is wrong with these developers handing off franchises to no-name studios and telling them to go nuts? It hasn't worked all generation and it won't start now.

Spark Of Spirit

What killed Heroes for me was the physics. Like, wonky doesn't even begin to describe them. Then there's the levels that are like WAY too long... No idea what they were thinking on that one. But did you try Colors? I know I talk about it a lot, but that's because I really liked it.

Yeah, the new Silent Hill is looking lame. Though I would like to hear Foggle's take on that one.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 20, 2011, 01:59:43 AM
I think I'll prematurely throw in Silent Hill into this pile. Have you seen the latest game? It looks like Heavy Rain with forced multiplayer.
What are you talking about? http://www.destructoid.com/no-silent-hill-multiplayer-says-downpour-producer-196898.phtml

That aside, how, exactly, does this game look like Heavy Rain? Because it rains for the majority of the game? Does Max Payne 2 look like Heavy Rain now?

Game seems fine to me from the screenshots and trailer I've seen. Which is more than I could say for Shattered Memories and Homecoming at a similar point in time.