Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painted Outlaw

I was mainly ragging on stuff like the terrorist chapter since I can't think of that without thinking of the stupid "Spirit World brainwashed demons, gaiz!" excuse of a plot twist.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

If nothing else, we might get some new merch out of this. We're still on a nostalgic swing, and most of the other popular series from the anime boom got an upswing in merch after getting new content.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

That terrorist plot was also the one where Yusuke has a really OOC moment over Keiko. I don't even think the event lasts long or has a decent ending. Then there's the idiotic brainwashing twist that Togashi crapped out.

If they're going to adapt it they almost have to completely redo it. Sort of like they did to Three Kings.

But I'm not even sure any of the people currently at Pierrot even worked on YYH. Even if they are, some of them went on to botch Flame of Recca so I'm not very hopeful.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

They really crammed in as much fan-service as possible into that YYH OVA, and I'm not going to lie: I was suckered in for the entire thing. It just put a huge stupid grin on my face to see my favorite characters reunite again. :D

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad to see the Yu Yu Hakusho fandom still going as strong as ever in Japan with big productions like this still being a thing. There's also been several commercials and advertisements in the last few years using YYH characters.

Dr. Insomniac

This is all a little cool but also a little weird. It would be funny if they ever made a live-action movie in Japan, and the outfits were no different from these.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is this promotional art for the stage show that was announced some time back? If so, it's actually fairly good costume design for this kind of production.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 30, 2019, 09:50:55 AM
Is this promotional art for the stage show that was announced some time back? If so, it's actually fairly good costume design for this kind of production.
Yep. Definitely like the costumes more than a few other live-action adaptations.

Avaitor

Yeah, the costume design is great, but I'm not sure about how this would look on screen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on July 30, 2019, 05:42:38 PM
Yeah, the costume design is great, but I'm not sure about how this would look on screen.
I think if they ever went and made a Yu Yu Hakusho movie, I would greatly prefer if they took some small liberties with the designs like the Rurouni Kenshin movie did. So many of the other live-action adaptations of anime adapt some character designs too literally and often result in the films looking more like cosplayers fighting each other with CGI than actual movies. That's possibly why despite the potential profit, no Japanese director's attempted to make a live-action One Piece or Dragon Ball movie because of how much effort you'd have to put in to make the designs work in a live-action context.

Painted Outlaw

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/10/03/yu-yu-hakusho-ova-funimation-finally-subbed-dubbed/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=102019-fn-yuyuhakusho&utm_source=&utm_content=ova-announce&utm_nooverride=1

Funi has licensed the YYH OVA. Part of the article I thought was the best was this, though:
QuoteThe announcement was made at the Yu Yu Hakusho Reunion Panel, which featured the voices of Yusuke Urameshi (Justin Cook) and Kazuma Kuwabara (Christopher R. Sabat).
"Anytime we can return to the skins of these characters," Cook said. "That's awesome."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Always great to hear Justin Cook's version of Yusuke. Nostalgia or not, it's one of my favorite character voices in animation.

Dr. Insomniac