Survival Horror

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Konami is apparently working on a patch to fix the framerate and auto-save issues with Silent Hill Downpour and the plethora of problems with the HD Collection.

Eddy

Oh, and I kind of wish I had video of my reaction playing Fatal Frame 2 for the first time. That's the only horror game I've played where I was scared even after I turned the game off.

Spark Of Spirit

You should have seen me playing Condemned for the first time. Yeesh.

Quote from: Eddy on April 27, 2012, 12:04:16 AM
Konami is apparently working on a patch to fix the framerate and auto-save issues with Silent Hill Downpour and the plethora of problems with the HD Collection.
Sigh... Konami.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on April 27, 2012, 12:05:22 AM
Oh, and I kind of wish I had video of my reaction playing Fatal Frame 2 for the first time. That's the only horror game I've played where I was scared even after I turned the game off.
First time I played FF 2, I did so with the same dude who filmed me playing 4. We were both still scared after turning it off, too. :lol:

Foggle

Great horror games really are masterful experiences. A video game making someone feel true fear... that's quite an accomplishment. That alone puts horror in my top 3 VG genres. :)

Oh yeah, have you guys heard about this? That SCP stuff is pretty interesting, but those alpha graphics are kinda' not terrifying enough. Eagerly awaiting the full release!

Eddy

That baby doll is giving me flashbacks to the mannequins in Condemned that followed you each time the lights flickered. :shit:

Eddy

Dead Space 3 is going to have co-op because nothing says Dead Space like having a buddy to watch your back.

And human enemies. That will use guns and grenades.

And Isaac can duck, roll, and take cover like Gears of War.

:whuh:

Well. It was a good survival horror franchise while it lasted.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 09, 2012, 12:12:49 PM
Dead Space 3 is going to have co-op because nothing says Dead Space like having a buddy to watch your back.
Hopefully it won't be forced. :srs:

QuoteAnd human enemies. That will use guns and grenades.
I actually thought Dead Space 2 could have used some human enemies a couple of times near the end. But this will be a very bad thing if they're prominent in 3...

QuoteAnd Isaac can duck, roll, and take cover like Gears of War.
Eh, that just makes him more maneuverable. Not a big deal IMO.

Eddy

Being able to take cover doesn't bother me too much either but it's the human enemies and the co-op that has me worried. If the co-op isn't forced and playing it on co-op just has another Isaac there or something, okay, that's fine I guess. But if it takes the RE5 approach and forces a AI partner on you that will just be bad.

The human enemies can be turned into necromorphs which is kind of cool but I don't want a bunch of areas with human enemies firing a storm of bullets at you. It worked in the few places they had in Dead Space 2 but an overabundance of it would kill the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This discussion reminds me that I still need to beat Dead Space 1, which I got to like Chapter 6 of before I stopped playing. I didn't dislike the game or anything, but admittedly it got a little tiring after a while. Its been a full year since I last played it, though, so I should be able to enjoy it again, now, but I'll need to take some time to adjust to the controls and whatnot, again.

Foggle

I'm in the minority of people who thought that Dead Space 2 was a lot scarier and more interesting than the original. You should at least give the sequel a try eventually. ;D

Eddy

I also thought Dead Space 2 was a lot scarier than the original Dead Space. In the first Dead Space the scares eventually got predictable. "Oh, a big, empty room. Enemies are going to pop up here." Dead Space 2, on the other, I felt kept things fresh and continued to surprise me right up to the end of the game.

Eddy

You know what NEEDS to be made? A Fatal Frame for the Wii U. Think about it. The tablet would be the camera.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 19, 2012, 03:23:16 AM
You know what NEEDS to be made? A Fatal Frame for the Wii U. Think about it. The tablet would be the camera.
I said the same thing about the 3DS. Then that 2 hour mini-game collection that has to be played in a fully lit room named Spirit Camera came out. :wth:

On another note, I honestly think that the Fatal Frame 2 Wii remake looks worse than the original version. The polygon count is slightly higher, sure, but everything I've seen from the remake is too... clean? Not sure how to describe it. The protagonists (and even some of the ghosts!) look less creepy and more cute, and it seems like they've removed the strange graphical filters that amplified the mood/atmosphere in 1-4. Also, the original dub was excellent, and the new one sounds too different (but still good, don't get me wrong) for me to get into it.

Not to mention that Fatal Frame 2 PS2 control scheme > Fatal Frame 4 Wii control scheme.

Eddy

Nintendo bought the Fatal Frame franchise.

Seeing how Fatal Frame 4 was never released here and they seem to have no plans on bringing the Fatal Frame 2 remake here, I guess we can say goodbye to any Fatal Frame games in the US. :whuh: