Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2012, 11:16:35 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2012, 11:09:52 PM
IGN gave it the same score as God Hand.

:humhumhum:
Greatest 2D beat 'em up of all time confirmed? :SHOCK:
The review is equally wrong, misinformed, pointlessly biased, and hateful of the beat em up genre. You should see the video review, the comments rip him apart on this review.

The fighting system is actually really fun, but I can see how people who want to button mash would hate it. If you don't learn how to dodge and gleam properly and mix up your attacks and juggles, you probably won't have a good time. But modern gamers don't want games like that anymore, they want games that auto-checkpoint you after every freaking obstacle.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I still don't like how telegraphed some of the combos enemies use and how they become invincible when they throw said combos. I'm fine with having to dodge sometimes and not button mash but I wish they found other way. :bleh:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

So, seeing how Konami wasn't going to patch it, I sold Silent Hill HD Collection towards Borderlands 2. Before I sold it I figured I'd play it to see just how badly Konami and this "Hijinx Studios" fucked the games up and... yeah, they're BAD. What a waste of money.

Here's a video showing just how bad it is.

Spark Of Spirit

Konami...

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 20, 2012, 08:16:31 AM
I still don't like how telegraphed some of the combos enemies use and how they become invincible when they throw said combos. I'm fine with having to dodge sometimes and not button mash but I wish they found other way. :bleh:
They're not as telegraphed on the higher difficulties, I wouldn't worry about it. Normal is more for casual players.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Wow, this video proves that those SH ports are even worse than I thought.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Got linked to this page today. It seems the movement to eliminate dedicated handhelds in favor of smartphones is still alive and well.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/nintendogomobile/why-nintendo-should-go-mobile/489702607720988

Especially infuriating is how this guy justifies this kind of shift because he doesn't want to embarrass himself in public.

QuoteI have seen men who are not concerned how they are viewed and commence in playing games anyway, but they are not the majority. And usually the majority is what matters.

Yeah, the people buying handheld games are totally not the same market that buys 80% of new video games or systems or invest heavily into their PCs. Why let an existing demographic support a market where niche titles can co-exist with heavy hitters when we can totally have a cheap, digital only market where every 10 titles is a variation of an existing one?

Spark Of Spirit

It's funny how these phone gamers are like the complete opposite of "master race" PC gamers.

I just like playing games with d-pads and buttons.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 28, 2012, 12:55:31 PM
It's funny how these phone gamers are like the complete opposite of "master race" PC gamers.
Right? :lol:

Yeah, I just like games in general.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote"...I think the hardcore gamers are gonna go for the PS4 and the Xbox 720...because they're gonna have the better graphics, you know, the kind of stuff WE get excited about"
X-play on the Wii-U.

Good ol' Morgan Webb, keeping it classy.

Foggle

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh X-Play. When was the last time you were relevant again?

Spark Of Spirit

I don't know, but she should probably invest in a gaming PC for cheaper than what those are going to cost if that's what bothers her.

I dunno, I expect a LOT of meltdowns when those systems are shown off.

Foggle

A repeat of five hundred and ninety nine US dollars, perhaps? :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 28, 2012, 02:56:24 PM
A repeat of five hundred and ninety nine US dollars, perhaps? :happytime:
Someone did a breakdown of what the Wii-U was worth in pieces and came to the conclusion that $299 was a more than fair price.

If the 720/PS4 or whatever are really so much more advanced, I'm not seeing a price lower than $399 and since neither ever take losses on their consoles I would expect more than that for them to even profit... but we'll see.

I would say Sony learned from the PS3 but then the Vita came out- and I would say MS would be good at pricing but their hardware at launch to cut costs was shoddy and cost them a lot so the trade off might not be worth it. But again, we'll see.

I just don't understand why "hardcore gamers" seem to think they'll be getting some amazing PC-crushing behemoth of a console at a reasonable cost and without major hardware issues. History tells us that neither company is particularly good at reading the market in this area.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The thing that pisses me off about Microsoft is that, before they started getting lazy with their output this gen, they were actually doing a legitimately good job at one point in time. Earlier this gen it felt like they were turning things around from the mostly bland original XBOX and gearing up the XBOX360 to be a great console. I mean, they had great 3rd party support from the get-go, and at least initially in the generation they were trying to come out with more good exclusives than just the next Halo game (Gears of War at the time was a new exclusive, as well). Best of all, they were the first of the gaming companies to really help classic 2D gaming make a comeback through XBLA which was perfect for releasing plenty of classics as well as being a medium for other great games styled like classic games that probably wouldn't have done well as retail games.

Then all of a sudden they just flat-out stopped caring (I'd say this happened around 2009, at least for me). They haven't come out with an interesting original IP since Alan Wake, IMO, and even that game is no longer an XBOX360 exclusive. XBLA hasn't had any new interesting releases (at least not to me), and they can't really boast so much about having the best 3rd party games anymore, as most 3rd party games that come out by this point in the gen are pretty much equal on both the XBOX360 and the PS3. I mean, sure, Microsoft was successful even when screwing up this much, but they certainly won't be that successful next gen if they keep things as bland as they have throughout the 2nd half of this gen.

Its a shame, really, because I was really liking my XBOX360 for the first 2 years that I had it, but then I found that there was less and less to look forward to as the years moved on.

Spark Of Spirit

You pretty much just nailed my opinion on the 360, Ensatsu-ken. At one point, the 360 was really on fire, but a bit before Kinect came out they started slipping and now their casual focus is worse than Nintendo's was back in 2008 to the point where they barely make anything else at all. Basically, if they weren't still getting third party games thanks due to their early fan-base, they would probably be in a lot worse trouble. Heck, no one on my friend-list is ever even online anymore.

And I don't know about you, but I'm not eager to buy a Kinect focused console with 100 non-gaming apps with third party games that will undoubtedly appear on every other system. Honestly, I think more than ever this upcoming generation will be based on how good first party games are, and very little else. Since they will all run the same engines, I don't think graphical quality will matter anymore.