Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on July 17, 2013, 10:38:01 PM
I'd wholeheartedly recommend Stranger's Wrath, and somewhat the others. Beware the PC versions of Stranger and Munch, though.

I was considering getting all 4 games via the Oddbox on Steam. What's wrong with the PC versions?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know anything about the PC versions, either. I've only ever played the PS1 version of Abe's Exodus and the original XBOX versions of Munch's Odyssey and Stranger's Wrath.

Foggle

It's been a long time since I've tried them, but at launch Stranger's Wrath could not go above 10 FPS on even the best rigs and Munch's Oddysee would crash after five minutes of play for pretty much everyone. Plus, the latter had reversed gamepad controls.

I heard they fixed the issues eventually, but that the HD patch ended up breaking SW again on ATI cards. Also, don't even bother trying to play SW at all unless your PC can run The Witcher 2 with 60 FPS on at least medium settings, because even now it's optimized like ass.

I'd recommend getting the PS3 or Xbox 1 (not compatible with the 360 AFAIK) versions.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Be careful when you say "XBOX 1," since someone might confuse it for that new console that some genius at Microsoft decided to give that very name to. :>

talonmalon333

We should come up with our own name for the XBox One.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 18, 2013, 01:31:11 AM
We should come up with our own name for the XBox One.

XBetamax

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on July 18, 2013, 12:21:01 AM
It's been a long time since I've tried them, but at launch Stranger's Wrath could not go above 10 FPS on even the best rigs and Munch's Oddysee would crash after five minutes of play for pretty much everyone. Plus, the latter had reversed gamepad controls.

I heard they fixed the issues eventually, but that the HD patch ended up breaking SW again on ATI cards. Also, don't even bother trying to play SW at all unless your PC can run The Witcher 2 with 60 FPS on at least medium settings, because even now it's optimized like ass.

I'd recommend getting the PS3 or Xbox 1 (not compatible with the 360 AFAIK) versions.

I'll take your word for it and just get the PC versions of Abe's Odyssey and Exodus for now.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on July 18, 2013, 02:07:24 AM
I'll take your word for it and just get the PC versions of Abe's Odyssey and Exodus for now.
That's probably a good idea. Those two were actually PC games from the beginning IIRC.

I do recommend playing Stranger's Wrath someday, though. Extremely underrated gem.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2013, 12:54:11 AM
Be careful when you say "XBOX 1," since someone might confuse it for that new console that some genius at Microsoft decided to give that very name to. :>
Oh god... :lol: :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

So Yoshi's New Island is on the horizon and, man, I jsut can't bring myself to care at all. I want to like it but it's just doing nothing for me. It looks dull and boring. It seems to just have one song that plays in every stage. And I think the real kicker is that it's by the same team that did Yoshi's Island DS.

Please, can we get another Yoshi game as good as the original Yoshi's Island? :whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

It's being made by the Yoshi Island DS guys, so it'll probably be average with awful music.

Nintendo needs to show off Yarn Yoshi again. They keep teasing it in things like Mario Golf and the Sonic Lost World DLC so it's gotta be coming. Plus, it's made by Good Feel which is definitely a good sign for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Sooooo speaking of..........has anyone actually bought Yoshi's New Island yet? Or even tried it? It looks decidedly mediocre, so it probably is decidedly mediocre, but I'm still willing to grasp at straws and give it the benefit of the doubt simply because I want a decent (I'm not even expecting great at this point, just passable) new Yoshi game.

Don't make me be the first guys.  :wth:

Spark Of Spirit

Reviews and impressions have told me its an average platformer in about every respect.

I think I'll wait for a sale. Yoshi games are some of the few Nintendo games that go on sale.

talonmalon333

Does anyone remember Croc?

gunswordfist

I believe I just played the demo. I remember it playing like a lot of other PS1 platformers (which is a compliment)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody