"Chinatown" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 01, 2011, 07:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

" Have you ever heard the expression "Let sleeping dogs lie"? Sometimes you're better off not knowing." - Jake Gittes

Release Date: June 20, 1974
Studio: Paramount
Director: Roman Polanski
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunnaway, John Hillerman, Burt Young, Perry Lopez, John Huston

Plot Summary: JJ 'Jake' Gittes is a private detective who seems to specialize in matrimonial cases. He is hired by Evelyn Mulwray when she suspects her husband Hollis, builder of the city's water supply system, of having an affair. Gittes does what he does best and photographs him with a young girl but in the ensuing scandal, it seems he was hired by an impersonator and not the real Mrs. Mulwray. When Mr. Mulwray is found dead, Jake is plunged into a complex web of deceit involving murder, incest and municipal corruption all related to the city's water supply.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #142

...and with this action, I officially declare my retirement from TZ.

Spark Of Spirit

And what a movie to do it with! I don't even know what to say about this one other than WATCH IT.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think I'll rewatch it later tonight. I've been wanting to for a while, and now seems like as good of a time as ever.

Also, best neo-noir ever.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Oh yes, one of Polanski's finest. I should definitely give it a rewatch once I get through everything else.

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

Quote from: Lord Dalek on July 01, 2011, 07:59:50 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 01, 2011, 07:58:49 PM
Blade Runner says no.
Well, I consider science fiction noir and neo-noir to be different things.

Otherwise yes, Blade Runner would win that fight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on July 01, 2011, 08:01:05 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on July 01, 2011, 07:59:50 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 01, 2011, 07:58:49 PM
Blade Runner says no.
Well, I consider science fiction noir and neo-noir to be different things.

Otherwise yes, Blade Runner would win that fight.
You have a point there.

I love this movie. I love the soundtrack. I wish there was a non-bootleg expanded version of it in stereo. Alas.

Angus

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon