Darkwing Duck

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

This aged a hell of a lot better than you would think it does.

Let's discuss Disney's best original Super Hero here!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'll leave this out as a template.

But yeah, favorite villain? Negaduck has got to be up there for me. Man, he was great. If you need a reminder, watch GregX's video.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Negaduck is hilarious in how evil he is.

My favorite is probably Bushroot because of how... odd most of his schemes are. Also, watch Night Of The Living Spud. A good mix of 50s horror tropes, superheroes, hillbillies, and great writing and animation. I just love how downright bizarre most of his ideas and plans are. He's also a total wimp and coward, making for some great comedy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Zack, get the diesel fuel.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 02, 2011, 06:55:53 PM
Zack, get the diesel fuel.
My favorite part of this gag is how they're CONSTANTLY trying to set someone on fire throughout the episode.

You'd never see that nowadays, unfortunately.

Eddy

I fucking love Darkwing Duck. Disney's best cartoon series, if you ask me. It was one of my favorite shows growing up. I really need to get the rest of the Darkwing DVDs too.

Spark Of Spirit

Have you guys seen the story for how the comic came to be?

It's quite the fun read.

Sketch

What a story of the power of tenacity. That was a fun read indeed.

Kiddington

Why can't they release the remaining episodes on DVD? Whyyyyyyyyyy?  :shit:

37 episodes left unreleased. ONE more volume would easily suffice. Man... I really hope Disney decides to jump on the 90's bandwagon at some point. If Nick can do it, so can they.

Spark Of Spirit

I was hoping they were going to use the launch of the comic to try to capitalize with some DVD releases of the remaining episodes, but Disney didn't really take advantage of the comic's success at all and I think that was my biggest letdown with the situation.

Daxdiv

I still find it weird that according to what Aaron said on the Old Haunt about Disney is looking into the success of Darkwing Duck after the comics were a success for them. But the fact that they haven't acted on them and the comic is coming to an end soon doesn't sit well with that. I really wished that they did put out Volume 3 during the run.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the weirdest part of the story (but since he brought the comic into existence, I believe him) was that Disney were the ones that were all for it and it was BOOM holding them back. It was also BOOM's fault the RR comic didn't do well since they rushed it out without even constructing anything for it.

But Disney even had Warren Spector looking at if DW could have been made into a videogame, so they must have been looking into it enough that a DVD release of volume 3 should have at least tested the waters.

Daxdiv

Yeah, BOOM! does kind of drop the ball on this and Rescue Rangers, and I say this as someone that actually read the comics all the way through. Why did I do it? Because as a wise man once said, one's threshold of pain can never be too high! I'll probably be buying the comics to see how they end them.

Still, I hold hope that Marvel will try to revive Darkwing Duck as a comic series in the near future. That would please me, especially if Aaron decided to become a writer, if not Tad Stones. That and I would welcome James Silvani as the artist again. I still think he's one of the best reasons as to why I still pick up the book.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't read the comic beyond the excellent first arc which apparently Ian didn't actually write, but from what I've read from others it seems that Ian's writing is too serious for DW and there is to much going on. He seems to be holding it back from its full potential.

Honestly, if Marvel relaunches it, getting Aaron to write and James to draw might be just what it needs to really shine.

Spark Of Spirit

Differences between the new Definitely Dangerous Omnibus and the old comics.

It contains:

Forward written by Disney's 'Gargoyles' creator Greg Weisman
    The Duck Knight Returns (Issues 1-4)
    Crisis On Infinite Darkwings (Issues 5-8)
    Toy With Me (from the Annual)
    The Untimely Terror of the Time Turtle (from the Annual)
    F.O.W.L Disposition (Issues 9-12)
    Campaign Carnage (Issues 13-16)
    A new 3-page epilogue
    Cover Gallery, featuring all of the original cover art during the BOOM! Studios run
    A bonus note from writer/editor Aaron Sparrow, accompanied with a special 3-page comic, originally featured in the German Darkwing omnibus published by Egmont

QuoteNot included is the DuckTales/Darkwing Duck crossover entitled "Dangerous Currency", which originally spanned Issues 17/18 of Darkwing Duck, and Issues 5/6 of DuckTales. Current writer/editor Aaron Sparrow has indicated that a new crossover is planned for the future.
Looks good.

Shame it's still not up on amazon.ca. I'd really like to get my hands on this.