EarthBound / MOTHER

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 02:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Because this is an amazing series that deserves to be talked about. Even if you're not a fan of RPGs (I'm not) you should play these games because they're awesome.

I still have to play Mother 1 but I love EarthBound and Mother 3.

And Nintendo of America still sucks ass for never bringing Mother 3 to the US (officially).

Spark Of Spirit

To anyone yet to have played Earthbound Zero... Play it with the easy patch that Tomato (the Mother 3 translator) made. It gives you more money and more experience making it FAR less grindy (I think I only had to grind in one spot, and even then I don't think I had to), and the game is otherwise just as fun as you'd expect it to be.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Yeah, that's what's honestly been holding me back from playing Mother. Too much grinding, too many random battles, frustratingly hard... yeah, I'm going to have to get the easy patch.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 03, 2011, 02:23:38 AM
To anyone yet to have played Earthbound Zero... Play it with the easy patch that Tomato (the Mother 3 translator) made. It gives you more money and more experience making it FAR less grindy (I think I only had to grind in one spot, and even then I don't think I had to), and the game is otherwise just as fun as you'd expect it to be.
Have it on my phone and beat it. My 2nd favorite nes rpg. I have never even seen footage of the sequels though
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Sadly, I'm ashamed to admit that Earthbound is the only one I've played up to this point. Besides not being an "official" release, I've got no excuse on Mother 3; I really do need to get around to that, at some point.

Love Earthbound, though. One of my absolute favorite SNES titles, and that really goes a long way, considering how awesome this console and its output was. So glad that I still have my original copy, as well; Nintendo doesn't seem to be getting any closer to that VC re-release (has there even been a reason given for this? Thought I read it was some copyright ordeal, but I could be mistaken), and those old cartridges aren't exactly bargain bin material, either (last check reveals Amazon has 'em going for about $110 right now... used, of course).

Commode

At least you've got an actual cartridge, all I've got is a ROM file.  I've looked at buying the game before, as I've seen it in video game stores, but like you said they almost always retail for $100 or more, and that's a little more than I want to spend on a SNES cart.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Eddy

I actually lucked out finding EarthBound. I found it years ago in a used games bin at some random EB Games. It was only about $15.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on July 06, 2011, 11:21:13 PM
At least you've got an actual cartridge, all I've got is a ROM file.  I've looked at buying the game before, as I've seen it in video game stores, but like you said they almost always retail for $100 or more, and that's a little more than I want to spend on a SNES cart.
The game didn't cost much less than that when it came out, since it came with the player's guide.

Luckily I got it during a clearance sale right around the time the N64 was taking over the shelves. Thanks, mom and dad!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Desensitized on July 03, 2011, 02:23:38 AM

I decided to play the version he patched and translated from the GBA port, since last time I checked, the ROM I have for Earthbound Zero might freeze on me if I continue playing, due to some security measures put onto it and how there are like 4 different ones out there last time I checked. GBA one is good and I do love how Tomato put effort into making the script more closer to EB and Mother 3 style.

As for the series, I think Mother 3 is my favorite one in the series. Nice moments, love the diverse cast of characters, and has one funny translation. Why Nintendo of America, why didn't you bring out this game? I would have bought this even if the GBA was becoming obsolete.

I tried playing Earthbound as a ROM, but I could never get into it. When I bought a cartridge for it, I was hooked. Hell, I'm still playing it right now every so ofter and love every moment of it.

Sketch

Quote from: Eddy on July 06, 2011, 11:24:49 PM
I actually lucked out finding EarthBound. I found it years ago in a used games bin at some random EB Games. It was only about $15.

That's a freak'n steal.

I've been borrowing my cousin's cartridge for years. Mis-placed it for a while but now I think I'll break it out again soon because I never gave the game a proper run through myself. Then I can get around to play Mother 3.

You know Nintendo's a big company that makes lots and lots of money even back when Mother 3 was new and could have been brought over to much fan fair, Nintendo at least had the GBA making them plenty of money. So why not take a risk on a game that has a dedicated fanbase even if it might not be a commercial success. Even a limited run would be better than nothing. Now they could certainly translate it and make it downloadable game for 3DS. Especially since US gamers are at least familiar with Lucas thanks to Smash Bros. but nope... they just can't be assed to take any kind of risk.