What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

It's incredible how the movie is just as relevant now as it was back in 1976.

Avaitor

Universal has recently put out some awesome-looking steelbook Blus with great minimalist designs. I had a $5 off coupon for Best Buy, so I used it to get this copy of Psycho today. They also have great ones for An American Werewolf in London and The Big Lebowski, the latter of which I almost bought instead.

I also remember seeing one for Scott Pilgrim, among others that I can't recall off the top of my head.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched 12 Years A Slave. While certainly not my favorite film of 2013 (that honor goes to The World's End), it was certainly a very well made movie, and not the boring artsy drivel that most Oscar-bait movies tend to be, IMO.

Avaitor

Man, Interstellar does not look like a movie that I want to see at all, but I'm probably going to end up seeing it in Imax anyway, since a friend wants to for her birthday.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

She already saw Interstellar, so that means I don't have to. Good.

New blog!

Avaitor

I keep on telling myself that I'll save money and stop buying stuff, but I got the Alien Anthology while it was on sale at Best Buy. Guess what I hope to rewatch soon! :swoon:

Oh, and I also got a copy of Treasure Planet, but that was mailed over for free, thanks to DMR. This will never be a favorite, but it's pretty good and nice to own.

New blog!

talonmalon333

We had a second viewing of The Room, and I have to say it does pull off one part of the movie. I'm going to put it in spoiler tags to hide the brilliant story telling and plot twists of The Room.

Spoiler
I actually do kind of feel bad when Denny comes into the room in the ending and sees Tommy dead, despite how incredibly and beautifully pointless he is to the movie (he's seriously just one more element of the movie that adds nothing and could be cut). Like, Mark and Lisa are what led to his death, but Denny was innocent. And at least he got his moment to tell them off so he could be alone with Tommy in the end (even if they came back afterward).

I can't believe I just complimented something in The Room.
[close]

Avaitor

Tonight's film club showing was supposed to be another screener (according to the guy, who's in charge of the club here and a big part of my school's film program, it was going to be Whiplash), but with Mike Nichols' recent passing, that's being pushed to next week, and we watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? instead.

This wasn't my first time seeing this, but wow, I think I like it even more than The Graduate at this point! The acting from the four actors is pitch perfect, perfectly complimenting the dark, wonderfully written dialogue. And despite being Nichols' first picture, it looks gorgeous!

Edit: Removing someone's name so they don't get in trouble with, um, certain things.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Ended up watching Interstellar with the family. Geez, that had to be the stupidest shit I've watched in a while. I was groaning and snickering the whole way through. The special effects were pretty neat, though.

gunswordfist

looks like avaitor was right, for once.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I thought it was all right. Didn't meet my expectations, but a decent flick nonetheless.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And I still haven't seen it yet. At any rate, I feel like the one issue with Nolan films is that he's been making them long enough for people to take notice of his many tropes, which become easy to mock and kind of make some of his later movies feel less impressive than his older titles. That, and a good chunk of his movies, even his best ones, have gaping plot holes if you care to look for them. It wasn't just The Dark Knight Rises that had its share of issues, even though everyone now seems to love to single that film out.

Having said that, every director has their tropes, from Spielberg to Tarantino, so it really doesn't bother me that much. Would I still watch Nolan films even if this movie turns out to be bad IMO? Absolutely, he's still one of the best modern directors in terms of overall quality, even if this film is less than interSTELLAR (see what I did there  :D). However, I must admit that this one particular film is something that I'm not that interested in seeing. Then again, I wasn't interested in seeing The Prestige, but that was easily one of Nolan's best films, so maybe this one will surprise me when I finally get around to watching it.

Avaitor

I'm thinking of pulling the low-fi test on Interstellar a year or so for now.

I actually just did that for Gravity, and it passed pretty well.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'm going to be completely honest (and this might be an unpopular opinion) and say I don't even think Nolan is that amazing. I mean he's certainly a very talented director. But I think many of his fans make his movies out to be more than they are, and I've even heard many call him a "modern Hitchcock" which, let's be honest, is silly to the point of being kind of funny. I wouldn't even call The Dark Knight a great movie. Not to be "that guy" who makes fun of the incredibly popular movies, but when you look at things such as the dialogue in that movie, it's just not as strong or as smart as many fans claim it is.