What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Zero Dark Thirty

Fantastic movie. Definitely deserved the nomination.

Still have to see Argo, though.

The Shadow Gentleman

Argo

I have no idea whether or not it deserved to win, but hey, I liked it.

Avaitor

I've been writing down every movie that I've seen since the new year started. I guess since I don't have much better to do with his information, I'll share what I've seen every three months. Some of these I've talked about seeing on here, some I have not.

A Matter of Life and Death
Django Unchained
Dumbo
Cinderella
The Dark Knight Rises
Citizen Kane
Raising Arizona
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Pride of the Yankees
Spellbound
Aladdin
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Moonrise Kingdom
The Court Jester
Tampopo
The Lady Vanishes
The Conformist
Pinocchio
Sabotage
Punch-Drunk Love
Beauty and the Beast
Marnie
I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
The Music Man
Death Race 2000
Natural Born Killers
The Life of Oharu
Peter Pan
Conan the Barbarian
In Search of the Castaways
Europa
RoboCop
Au Hasard Balthazar
I Was Born, But?
Woman of the Year
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Navigator
Stardust Memories
Bad Santa
A Place in the Sun
Drugstore Cowboy
Gold Diggers of 1933
The Red Badge of Courage
The Last of the Mohicans
The Jungle Book
Limelight
The Tree of Life
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Picnic
Wreck-It Ralph
Grand Hotel
The Big Chill
Return of the Living Dead
Avanti!
Brick
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone
The Field
The Muppets Christmas Carol
The Letter
Yankee Doodle Dandy
ParaNorman
Barbarella
Gun Crazy
Jimi Hendrix
Sunrise at Campobello
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Fantasia
Thunder Road
Melody Time
Quiz Show
The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Feel free to discuss any of these. I'll do this again on the first of July!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Avaitor

Reviews have been good for the Evil Dead remake. Does that actually mean that it's good, though?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

So I FINALLY watched The Hobbit, and I thought it was really great! Don't understand the general distaste I've seen for it at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

People who are fans of the book complain about all of the added scenes and some of the minor story changes, as well as the fact that Peter Jackson tried to make the story a little bit darker than it actually is in the book. Personally, as someone who loved the book very much (its one of my favorite stories from my childhood), I had absolutely no problem with the extended material and slightly darker tone. And to be fair, most of it comes from Tolkien's own source material of the extended Middle Earth Universe (The addition of the Necromancer was the only thing I can think of that came out of nowhere, though that was only in one brief scene of the movie, anyways). Casual audiences probably don't like the fact that this movie is long and takes time to build up its main characters, as a lot of people were probably mislead into expecting lots of big epic battles like in The Lord of the Rings movies. Though, to be fair, Fellowship of the Ring barely had any of those things, and The Hobbit is much more along the lines of Fellowship as its primarily an adventure story.

Honestly, I really liked the movie. I still think that stretching this story out into a trilogy is overkill, but if the other 2 movies were on the same level of quality as An Unexpected Journey, I'd honestly be satisfied.

Also, as usual, I absolutely love the soundtrack.

Foggle

It's been a while since I read the book, so I don't remember it too well. I liked the added stuff, though. The Necromancer storyline seems interesting to me, and the added darkness was fine since there were still a lot of fun, goofy moments.

I also didn't think the movie dragged at all, which seems to be a common complaint for some reason. And the music was amazing, of course.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2013, 03:37:35 PM
I also didn't think the movie dragged at all, which seems to be a common complaint for some reason.

I actually thought it kind of did. I still liked it though. Just not nearly on the same level as any of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Foggle

I dunno, I was really immersed in the story/adventure so it didn't seem slow to me at all. Meanwhile, Evangelion 3.0 was only half that length, but it felt even longer to me. Now that shit was draggy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I felt that it dragged only somewhat in the 2nd act of the movie (mostly with the whole Rivendell scene, but I'm only talking about 10-15 minutes of time out of a nearly 3 hour film. Personally the time flew by for me throughout the rest of the movie. And, I still can't wait to see the 2nd part later this year. Peter Jackson showing Smaug's eye opening at the end was way too much of a tease, but its the kind of thing that immediately got me pumped for the next installment. I can't wait to see Smaug revealed in full, and hopefully his voice actor does a good job playing him.

Oh, another complaint about the movie was the 48 FPS looking really wonky at times. Honestly, I can't comment on this, because I myself only saw the movie at a standard 24 FPS, and the whole thing looked beautiful to me.

gunswordfist

I watched Ghostbusters 1 and 2 today from this morning up until the afternoon. This might be the first time I watched either movie in its entirety. I do remember Stay Puff and how fucking creepy the Vigo painting is from mywhen I was a kid though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Avaitor

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on April 23, 2013, 12:03:34 AM
You mean ehhhhxellent?
Suuuuuure?

I guess its a good movie, but it really does nothing for me.