Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 26, 2014, 08:33:01 PM
Season 1 of Korra's alright until that abysmal finale. Season 2 is crap barring the Beginnings 2-parter, which is a shame when you have an entity like Vaatu and an event as big as Harmonic Convergence as the centerpiece (seriously, he's basically the villain of the entire franchise, and he gets stuck with a bore like Unalaq.). Season 3 is bloody fantastic, and my second favorite season of the franchise as a whole.
More or less this. It's being fairly over the map so far, but I mean, it's still no Ultimate Spider-Man (which has officially gotten a third season by the way) at the end of the day. I hope season 4 will end it on a good note at least, but man did they really drop the ball with season 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

no one compared it to usm. season 2 was below average but not bad. i would say the beginnings is 10 out of 10, the first half before the beginnings is 6 out of 10 and the half after it is a 7. plus season 2 did help make korra a better character.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

i officially like teen titans go! after watching another episode today.

Peanutbutter

Justice League's first season wasn't bad. There were some episodes that shouldn't have been two-parters like Metamorphosis, but Paradise Lost, Legends, Injustice for All, and both the series premiere and finale episodes The Savage Time were great.

gunswordfist

i will attempt to restart the show for like the 4th time and then give my opinion.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 30, 2014, 06:37:14 PM
Justice League's first season wasn't bad. There were some episodes that shouldn't have been two-parters like Metamorphosis, but Paradise Lost, Legends, Injustice for All, and both the series premiere and finale episodes The Savage Time were great.

I don't think it's bad, either. To me, it's good. It's just not great.

talonmalon333

My brother thinks Ren & Stimpy is as good as Rocko's Modern Life.

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but I have to admit I can kind of see some of the reason why one might think that. Rocko seems to be the Nicktoon known for being edgy and whatnot, but compared to Ren & Stimpy, it does play it relatively safe (though SpongeBob plays it safer still, and that's the most loved Nicktoon in general). Ren & Stimpy definitely knew how to make a situation uncomfortable yet funny ("Call the police" - Walrus). It also got downright psychotic at times. Plus, the artwork was phenomenal. And really, there's no denying the importance of Ren & Stimpy and how it pushed the boundaries of how far a children's cartoon could go, and for sure it had an influence on Rocko and SpongeBob.

My thing is that Rocko's Modern Life just had a higher level of consistency. I don't dislike Ren & Stimpy (I may have implied that I do in the past, but truthfully that was never accurate), but I do think it comes off as fairly hit or miss.

Avaitor

You can always tell how little of Ren & Stimpy someone has seen in recent years if they say it's among their favorites. There are always some people who decide to look up the most famous (see also: the best) episodes again, and think that the show was always this good.

And as someone who's seen a lot of R&S fairly recently, I can tell you that it doesn't get nearly as good as "Space Madness" or "Stimpy's Invention".
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 14, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
You can always tell how little of Ren & Stimpy someone has seen in recent years if they say it's among their favorites. There are always some people who decide to look up the most famous (see also: the best) episodes again, and think that the show was always this good.

And as someone who's seen a lot of R&S fairly recently, I can tell you that it doesn't get nearly as good as "Space Madness" or "Stimpy's Invention".

He knows it wasn't always as good as the best episodes, but... eh, I don't know.

I did like Stimpy's Fan Club.

Avaitor

Reading the other thread again has made me think about Invader Zim some.

I still think that the show is good, but Gir is easily the worst part of it. That's my unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only person who thinks so on here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I want to say it-

Adventure Time and Regular Show have more than proved their worth in not just the Cartoon Network canon, but in the pantheon of quality animated programs. There's little denying that. But I truly believe that even though they're still fairly early in, Steven Universe has proven itself to be the better fantasy and mythology-based series, and Clarence the better laid-back comedy with a wide range of comedic styles.

That said, while I don't hate Uncle Grandpa, I do think that Gumball is still the superior younger-skewing comedy with a unique art style.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I agree with everything you've just said. I enjoy all the shows quite a bit, though. Except for Uncle Grandpa. But even then, I don't think that one's all that bad. Certainly not as much as some people make it out to be, at the very least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember that people on this board were bashing Gumball on another thread, which I never got. Maybe I've only ever seen the good episodes, but I always found it to be a legitimately clever and funny show. Whenever I babysit my little sister I either usually end up watching either this or SpongeBob with her, and I much prefer watching this show.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I can't agree with any Gumball hate either. It's a very enjoyable show most of the time, and has some really great episodes occasionally too. In fact, I would consider "The Sweaters," "The World," and "The Finale" somewhere in my top 100-ish favorite episodes from any animated series ever.

Avaitor

For whatever reason, I can't gain the interest to watch Gumball all the way through like I have AT and am RS, but it is a very enjoyable show when I check in.

And Nicole has to be one of the best moms in all of cartoons.

New blog!