Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The Spindash drift in Generations is amazing. The drifting in Colors and Unleashed is awful, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Man, I'm not even trying to argue with anyone. I'm just giving my impressions of what I played last night. Insommy and RacAttack can back up my claims because they were there.

Furthermore, there's nothing even to argue about. I find the camera to be a hindrance and controls to be floaty; you find the controls to be precise and the camera to be serviceable. Clearly one of us holds an unpopular opinion on gaming here, and there's no real need to try to prove him wrong. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 18, 2013, 06:15:44 PM
Man, I'm not even trying to argue with anyone. I'm just giving my impressions of what I played last night. Insommy and RacAttack can back up my claims because they were there.

And about 90% of the people who have played the game didn't complain about floaty controls or find the camera to be any worse than Sonic Adventure 2's was. Therefore I'm right and you, Dr. Insomniac, and RacAttack were smoking some funky mushrooms while playing through the game last night. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle, go play Sonic Heroes. Seriously.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 18, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
I have. It made Sonic Adventure look like Super Mario Galaxy.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 18, 2013, 06:33:41 PM
I have. It made Sonic Adventure look like Super Mario Galaxy.
I would have said Shadow or 06, but I have yet to force myself through those to find a better example.

But apparently the PS2 version is even worse.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm actually still interested in trying out Sonic Heroes one of these days despite its negative reception among most fans. While I'm sure I'll dislike it, I do recall that the game itself actually was NOT panned by reviewers when it came out, and was seen as more of a mediocre to decent game than a bad game at the time. While everyone seems to hate it now that they look back on it, the fact is that it IS still the last Sonic game to not be utterly raped by critics before the dark ages of Sonic, and until the release of Sonic Colors brought just a bit of redemption to the franchise. I have to see for myself if this game is really that bad, or if its just harmlessly bland (which is what it looks like to me by just watching the gameplay of it, but actually playing it could be a different story).

Now, while we all know that Sonic '06 is by far the worst Sonic game based on technicality alone (Sonic genesis is the 2nd worst by technicality), being that its a downright unfinished and broken mess that was released despite that fact, from what I can understand, Shadow the Hedehog seems to be by far the worst ever Sonic-related game that isn't technically broken. That is to say, the game works and runs fine (or fine enough to be technically playable, anyways), but its still a terrible game just based on genuinely bad design alone.

I have. It made Sonic Adventure 2 look like Super Mario Galaxy.

Fixed. :)

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Heroes has a lot of great ideas, art styles, concepts, and it even brought back Metal Sonic and the Chaotix. The problem is the execution got everything wrong and made it play worse than both Adventures with a far worse camera.

It was the definition of something that looks good on paper but fails in execution.

By all means, try it, but I definitely don't regret passing it over back when it came out. If the series got worse than that, then it must have really been garbage.

Foggle

Heroes is not worse than Shadow or 06 in any capacity.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 18, 2013, 06:45:51 PM
I have. It made Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 look like Super Mario Galaxy.
Re-fixed. :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 18, 2013, 06:56:09 PM
How about Secret Rings and Black Knight? Though I know Rynnec likes Black Knight, it also has quite the reputation.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 18, 2013, 06:54:27 PM
Sonic Heroes has a lot of great ideas, art styles, concepts, and it even brought back Metal Sonic and the Chaotix. The problem is the execution got everything wrong and made it play worse than both Adventures with a far worse camera.

It was the definition of something that looks good on paper but fails in execution.

By all means, try it, but I definitely don't regret passing it over back when it came out. If the series got worse than that, then it must have really been garbage.

I love how they gave Metal Sonic a new base design, only to have him transform into a (stupid) dragon form before you even have a chance to fight him in it, then never use it again.

Heroes and Shadow are equal in mediocrity. Though Shadow has the edge due its terribad story and the very concept of Shadow using guns (because y'know, having you use his Chaos powers in actual gameplay would make way too much sense).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 18, 2013, 06:56:09 PM

What about Sonic Genesis? :sly:

I have. It made Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 look like Super Mario Galaxy.
Re-fixed. :happytime:

In that case, if the NOT worst Sonic game of all time makes the OK 3D Sonic games look like an amazing game, then does that mean that Shadow the Hedgehog makes them look like Super Mario Galaxy 2? If that's the case, then Sonic '06 must make them look like the greatest games of all time. :huh:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on January 18, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 18, 2013, 06:54:27 PM

I love how they gave Metal Sonic a new base design, only to have him transform into a (stupid) dragon form before you even have a chance to fight him in it, then never use it again.

Heroes and Shadow are equal in mediocrity. Though Shadow has the edge due its terribad story and the very concept of Shadow using guns (because y'know, having you use his Chaos powers in actual gameplay would make way too much sense).
Yeah, what a waste of Metal Sonic that was. I was actually interested when I saw his return but to see him turn into a monster of the week was lame.

Thinking on it, the laser power up in Colors is fairly similar to what Chaos Control gameplay might be like. That would have lead to more interesting gameplay other than....... terrible third person shooting and vehicles.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 18, 2013, 07:07:46 PM
What about Sonic Genesis? :sly:
Oh god...

In that case, if the NOT worst Sonic game of all time makes the OK 3D Sonic games look like an amazing game, then does that mean that Shadow the Hedgehog makes them look like Super Mario Galaxy 2? If that's the case, then Sonic '06 must make them look like the greatest games of all time. :huh:
Honestly, I'd say that Shadow the Hedgehog is actually worse than '06. But I've never beaten either of them, so maybe that would change if I had.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 18, 2013, 06:59:34 PM
How about Secret Rings and Black Knight? Though I know Rynnec likes Black Knight, it also has quite the reputation.
Haven't tried 'em.

Rynnec

Admittedly, the transformation sequence was really cool, but yeah, Sega's hard-on for giant MOTW's during that time period was really grating. I know it's not really popular opinion, but I wished Sega had used Neo Metal Sonic as Metal's "modern" design.

Quote from: Spark of SpiritThinking on it, the laser power up in Colors is fairly similar to what Chaos Control gameplay might be like. That would have lead to more interesting gameplay other than....... terrible third person shooting and vehicles.

A lot of people have speculated that the wisps were Sega's way of testing the waters on how the other characters would play from now on. If this means that they'll play like Sonic but able to do (inset ability here), then I'm all for it.

Quote from: FoggleHonestly, I'd say that Shadow the Hedgehog is actually worse than '06. But I've never beaten either of them, so maybe that would change if I had.

I played about 5-10 minutes of 06 total, it was enough. How I survived I will never know.