Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 03:58:34 PMIt's why I don't like Melee nearly as much as Talon or Kiddington.

What about Brawl?

Spark Of Spirit

Brawl would depend on who I'm playing. My mains of Kirby, Ness, and Toon Link were actually viable in Brawl. Most times, however, I would put on Smash 64 if given the choice.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 22, 2014, 04:02:10 PMThat's because they're trying to appeal to the tournament audience. That's why V was rushed so it could make it into EVO at the cost of leaving single-players cold.
Lame, man. Lame. The extra content was what kept me playing for so long, same with games like Power Stone 2, Rival Schools, the newest Mortal Kombat, and the early Soul games gave you a lot to do to shake it up. One on one fighting is nice and all, but if I'm paying full price in a game I don't exactly want less content than I was getting well over a decade ago.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Why they got rid of Weapon Master is beyond me. Especially since it would be perfect to go along with the create-a-fighter feature.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 04:12:01 PM
Brawl would depend on who I'm playing. My mains of Kirby, Ness, and Toon Link were actually viable in Brawl. Most times, however, I would put on Smash 64 if given the choice.

What about Meta Knight? :>

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on April 22, 2014, 04:23:29 PM
Why they got rid of Weapon Master is beyond me. Especially since it would be perfect to go along with the create-a-fighter feature.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 04:12:01 PM

What about Meta Knight? :>
I had a friend who mained Metaknight. He actually didn't like using him because he was too overpowered and went back to Marth since he required at least some effort. But, I mean, at least in Brawl most characters outside of Ganondorf have a chance against a non-pro Metaknight.

In Melee, Sakurai intentionally weakened all of Kirby, Pikachu, and Ness's moves from Smash 64 to ridiculous extents. You can't name a single improvement, they were all near the worst characters in the game and were therefore incredibly frustrating to play as even in simple matches.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 03:58:34 PM
The Star Wars characters were just silly. I didn't care for them either way.

So were the exclusive characters in SC2 and 5. This is nothing new to the series.

QuoteI do mind balance issues when I try to play seriously against friends and have to try twice as hard to win when they use broken characters like Hilda that they would never otherwise use. Sure I can win, but I'd rather play a version where I don't have to work around being gimped to do well. It's why I don't like Melee nearly as much as Talon or Kiddington.

If that's the case, you can say that of SC1 and 2 as well. You seem to act like the sequels are the only games that have balance issues, which is simply not true. And as far as being broken goes, you really abuse the term here. Yoda is a broken character (and a stupid one for this type of game), given his unfair short height. I've seen people beat Hilda fair and square before. It takes skill, obviously. Just playing the game seriously isn't enough. You actually have to be good at it, and those are 2 different things when it comes to fighting games, hence why I still suck at SF4 even when I was practicing a lot. The skill curve in that game is insane.

QuoteBut my biggest problem with the series was how many modes and extras it started with versus how many it has now. There's no question that they're not trying nearly as hard these days with it.

This much I can agree with. I miss Missions Mode/Weapons Master mode from the first 2 games. I have no idea why they got rid of them, and even less of an idea as to why they were never brought back despite fans clearly wanting them.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2014, 04:30:39 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 03:58:34 PM
The Star Wars characters were just silly. I didn't care for them either way.

So were the exclusive characters in SC2 and 5. This is nothing new to the series.

At least Link, and Ezio fit. And Spawn and Hehachi arguably blended in well. The Star Wars characters just felt so out of place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on April 22, 2014, 04:45:04 PMAt least Link, and Ezio fit. And Spawn and Hehachi arguably blended in well. The Star Wars characters just felt so out of place.

How? They are completely out of their Universe. They also come from games or comics that are very tonally different from SC save for Hehachi from Tekken (but he doesn't even use a weapon).

gunswordfist

Eww, Ezio was in a Soul Calibur?...eh, on 2nd thought, I guess it's not that bad since he uses a number of weapons. Link in Soul Calibur is fucking gold though. He should be in every sequel.

Spark Of Spirit

Nekrid is the worst one. He looks like he fell off the desk of a 12-year-old aspiring comic book artist.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
Who the hell is Yoga?
:D

talonmalon333

Link was too broken in II. He basically had a free ring-out throw which rarely failed.

gunswordfist

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2014, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 22, 2014, 04:45:04 PMAt least Link, and Ezio fit. And Spawn and Hehachi arguably blended in well. The Star Wars characters just felt so out of place.

How? They are completely out of their Universe. They also come from games or comics that are very tonally different from SC save for Hehachi from Tekken (but he doesn't even use a weapon).

Link and Ezio fit SC's time period (which is pretty loose anyway), and they at least had the courtesy to give Spawn an appropriate weapon.  The Foce users just feel real out of place with all of their lightsabers and space-themed stages and whatnot.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2014, 05:07:11 PM
Link was too broken in II. He basically had a free ring-out throw which rarely failed.

I hear he's low-tier in high-level play though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Link comes from a completely different type of reality that includes other races and mythical beings as an every day thing. Ezio comes from a series that is far more serious in tone than the SC games. They really don't fit at all.

gunswordfist

I was thinking the same about Ezio.