Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think the 32-bit art style is better than the 16-bit art style for Mega Man X.

I just started replaying Mega Man X4 on PSN and while the music is pretty good (I think this is the only 32-bit X game with good music, though) and the sprites move smoothly, I just don't care for the art style as much. It's too drab and cluttered missing the simplistic, yet stylish colors of the 16-bit games. To be fair, I think X4 can look good at times, but the general art style never really clicks with me.

To compare with each of the original 6 X games:

Maybe not 1:1 with all the games, but I'm talking about preference here. I don't really like the general look of X4-6.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 09, 2015, 05:58:28 PM
I don't think the 32-bit art style is better than the 16-bit art style for Mega Man X.
This is an unpopular opinion?

In any case, I agree with you. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2015, 06:31:39 PM
This is an unpopular opinion?

In any case, I agree with you. :joy:
Yeah, I've run across a lot of people who prefer the 32-bit style. To the point that when people started talking about a 16-bit MMX9, that they would cry out for it to be 32-bit instead. I don't really know why, I'd prefer a brand new art style over going back to that art style again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Mega Man 10 probably should have been 16-bit... come to think of it, X and the number 10 kind of mean the same thing. :P

Rynnec

I just started replaying Mega Man X4 on PSN and while the music is pretty good (I think this is the only 32-bit X game with good music, though) and the sprites move smoothly, I just don't care for the art style as much. It's too drab and cluttered missing the simplistic, yet stylish colors of the 16-bit games. To be fair, I think X4 can look good at times, but the general art style never really clicks with me.

:anger:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on February 09, 2015, 06:52:40 PM

:anger:
I meant as a whole, sorry.

There are good tracks in those games. The Bubble Crab remix in X5 is top notch stuff.

talonmalon333

Here's an unpopular opinion I hold.

David Hayter is overrated... Now, I don't dislike the guy at all. I think he gives a likable Snake voice. But that's the thing. "Likable" is really how I'd describe it. I don't think his voice has a lot of depth to it. It's noticeable in certain points of the games where he has to do drama and comes up a bit short. I know people were disappointed when Kiefer Sutherland was announced as doing the role in MGSV. And, at first, I was a bit sad. But when I think about it, it was a very good idea.

Foggle

I love David Hayter, but Kiefer's acting in the MGS5 footage released thus far is simply better IMO. He does an admirable job as Big Boss.

gunswordfist

I was just recently thinking about Hayter's voice again. I agree with you. It's decent but really easy to produce. It's not as nuanced as say Master Chief's voice. Now that's not so easy to replicate, while there's literally tons of Snake fanboys that can do Hayter's voice with ease.

Do you think it's good because Sutherland would give the character even more attention? I keep on forgetting to pay close attention to his Snake but I just never think about it even though I've heard it a ton of times in videos. It's good from what I remember, I just didn't really take time to compare it to Hayter.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 01:59:05 PM
I love David Hayter, but Kiefer's acting in the MGS5 footage released thus far is simply better IMO. He does an admirable job as Big Boss.

That about sums up what I think.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 13, 2015, 02:00:34 PM
I was just recently thinking about Hayter's voice again. I agree with you. It's decent but really easy to produce. It's not as nuanced as say Master Chief's voice. Now that's not so easy to replicate, while there's literally tons of Snake fanboys that can do Hayter's voice with ease.

Do you think it's good because Sutherland would give the character even more attention? I keep on forgetting to pay close attention to his Snake but I just never think about it even though I've heard it a ton of times in videos. It's good from what I remember, I just didn't really take time to compare it to Hayter.

Sutherland is overall a more experienced and talented actor. I think he'll be able to give Big Boss more emotional depth. In the footage I've seen of MGSV, he sounds great.

talonmalon333

Another noteworthy thing is that I do think it's possible that David Hayter will return for Solid Snake in later sequels.

gunswordfist

That's good to hear. Hayter never really struck me as Hayter=Snake anyway. I was shocked at the change but now I think it's probably for the better.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I know that Hayter's voice is iconic since he has played the role of snake ever since MGS (and until recently was his only VA), but he had no real range to the character. It was mostly just a monotone performance, and nostalgia goggles lead many fans to criticize anyone new taking over the role, no matter how good they are.

It's sort of like if they recast Reuben Langdon as Dante if they ever made a new DMC game in the classic series. I enjoy him well enough as Dante in both DMC 3 and 4 (he also voiced him in the anime, but that was a piece of shit), and he gets bonus points for actually doing the mo-cap for Dante as well (meaning that he is the "actor" who "plays" the role of Dante, not just the guy who does his voice), but his voice isn't so captivating or memorable that I'd be pissed if someone else were to step in and take over the role. If anything, the anime actually did prove that he's not too good with full paragraphs-worth of dialogue, as it doesn't sound too natural. It works better in the games because most of Dante's lines come in the form of short and humorous quips, but anything more than that and it's clear that Langdon isn't necessarily such a great VA. Even so, I guarentee you that DMC fans would be up in arms if he was replaced.

gunswordfist

I know I would be. :bleh: He does a great job as Ken Masters too. I like that the same actor does two of my favorite Capcom characters.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 13, 2015, 02:57:59 PM
Yeah, I know that Hayter's voice is iconic since he has played the role of snake ever since MGS (and until recently was his only VA), but he had no real range to the character. It was mostly just a monotone performance, and nostalgia goggles lead many fans to criticize anyone new taking over the role, no matter how good they are.

There's a bit more to him than that. He's not great in the first MGS, but I do think he gets better, particularly in 3. He's good at doing more lighthearted parts, such as the comedic moments in MGS3. It's mostly heavier stuff that he's not the best at.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 13, 2015, 02:54:43 PM
That's good to hear. Hayter never really struck me as Hayter=Snake anyway. I was shocked at the change but now I think it's probably for the better.

I do associate David Hayter with Solid Snake. However, for the people who complained about Kiefer Sutherland being the lead in MGSV, we have to remember that Big Boss is not Solid Snake. He is his father.