Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Hayter was awful in Twin Snakes. Actually, everyone was. Anyway, I liked him far more in MGS1 than in that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 13, 2015, 03:20:24 PM
Hayter was awful in Twin Snakes. Actually, everyone was. Anyway, I liked him far more in MGS1 than in that one.

But that's more like a parody than a real game.

Foggle

Hayter's best performances were in MGS 1 and 3 IMO. Which makes sense, as those were the games that came the closest to actually having good dialogue.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 03:41:41 PM
Hayter's best performances were in MGS 1 and 3 IMO. Which makes sense, as those were the games that came the closest to actually having good dialogue.

The dialogue in 2 and 4 is fine. You're wrong. :thinkin:

Also, I think Hayter sounds a bit too, for lack of a better term, gruff in MGS1.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 13, 2015, 03:51:49 PM

Also, I think Hayter sounds a bit too, for lack of a better term, gruff in MGS1.
I will never listen to your opinion on anything ever again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 13, 2015, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 13, 2015, 03:51:49 PM

I will never listen to your opinion on anything ever again.

I can understand why you don't like the story. But is there anything that bad about the dialogue? Unless you mean that there is far too much of it, which is true.

gunswordfist

Oh yeah, I keep on forgetting that this is Big Boss... :D

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 13, 2015, 05:57:20 PM
I can understand why you don't like the story. But is there anything that bad about the dialogue? Unless you mean that there is far too much of it, which is true.
Very little of it sounds like stuff people would actually say in real life, regardless of the situation. Granted, this is a problem in every MGS title and something like 70% of video games (and probably about half of fiction in general), but while every entry in the series is overly wordy to an extent, I think the lines themselves were a lot better-written in MGS 1 and 3 than the others.

gunswordfist

...this is Metal Gear Solid. How people sound in real life is a terrible measuring stick. :D

Foggle

I'm not trying to shit on the games or anything. Their stories are amusing at worst. It's just that lines like

QuoteWe're all born with an expiration date. No one lasts forever. Life is nothing but a grace period - for turning our genetic material into the next generation. The data of life is transferred from parent to child. That's how it works. But we have no heirs, no legacy. Cloned from our father, with the ability to reproduce conveniently engineered out. What is our legacy if we cannot pass the torch? Proof of our existence - a mark of some sort. When the torch is passed on from parent to child... it extends beyond DNA; information is imparted as well.

don't feel particularly natural, regardless of context.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 09:42:33 PM
I'm not trying to shit on the games or anything. Their stories are amusing at worst. It's just that lines like

QuoteWe're all born with an expiration date. No one lasts forever. Life is nothing but a grace period - for turning our genetic material into the next generation. The data of life is transferred from parent to child. That's how it works. But we have no heirs, no legacy. Cloned from our father, with the ability to reproduce conveniently engineered out. What is our legacy if we cannot pass the torch? Proof of our existence - a mark of some sort. When the torch is passed on from parent to child... it extends beyond DNA; information is imparted as well.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Spark Of Spirit

Oscar worthy.

I liked MGS1's dialogue because it sounded like it should-- the script for an 80s action movie. From what I've seen of things like Peace Walker and 3, they look like their own thing which is fine. MGS2's dialogue is like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes written for anyone who even remotely enjoyed the first one. Thanks, Kojima.

When I walk into Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I sure hope I get treated to Space Mutiny 2 instead.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 13, 2015, 05:57:20 PM
Very little of it sounds like stuff people would actually say in real life, regardless of the situation. Granted, this is a problem in every MGS title and something like 70% of video games (and probably about half of fiction in general), but while every entry in the series is overly wordy to an extent, I think the lines themselves were a lot better-written in MGS 1 and 3 than the others.

I was thinking more along the lines of the conversational dialogue. Those are the parts that mainly show off characters' voice acting, which is what this topic was really about. I can agree that things like the exposition isn't so good, but chitchat shared by characters such as Snake and Otacon is fine.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2015, 09:42:33 PM

To be fair, that quote is similar to Naomi Hunter's monologue at the end of MGS1, which is equally bad. I can agree MGS1 has a better script overall, but it really falls apart during the ending.

Avaitor

As someone who loves Disney a lot, I kind of wish that I could get excited about Kingdom Hearts, but I can't at all. It's the worst of modern Square and Disney pandering in one dull package, yet I feel alone in my dislike of the franchise.

Can someone on here tell me what I'm missing?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/