The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 10, 2012, 06:18:14 PM
Blast Corps.

:thumbup:

Great game, and made by Rare no less. Definitely one I'd recommend, especially if you're on a budget (most I've seen it cost is about $20, and usually that's with a box; cart alone should only be about 5-10, at most). 

Quote from: Foggle on February 10, 2012, 06:18:58 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on February 10, 2012, 06:15:35 PM
Ogre Battle 64 is great, though, especially if you like RTS's. It's pretty much the only RTS on the N64 as well, which is kinda interesting.
There's also the utterly pointless StarCraft 64.

Haha, wow. I'd actually forgotten there was an N64 version of that.

Looks pretty expensive, too; right up there in price with the others I mentioned. Wonder why that is.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on February 10, 2012, 06:20:38 PM
Shadows of the Empire is also a serviceable TPS for its time (it also has a killer first level).
Fuck yes, I love that game. I wish I could get the PC version to work properly on Win 7... :(

Spark Of Spirit

Aladdin for the Game Gear is awesome. I totally recommend this for platformer fans. Oh yeah, and it isn't a port of either 16 bit game.

I wish Disney would rerelease their old games. Obscurities like this alone would be worth it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I don't think I had Aladdin for GG(I have it for Genesis), I know I had Lion King, which is alright.

I also had some Donald Duck game that was pretty good.  Wish I could remember the name of that one.  Oh, and for you there's always the Ren and Stimpy game, which is also pretty good(better than the other R&S games I've played).

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on February 10, 2012, 08:37:23 PMI also had some Donald Duck game that was pretty good.  Wish I could remember the name of that one.  Oh, and for you there's always the Ren and Stimpy game, which is also pretty good(better than the other R&S games I've played).
The Lucky Dime Caper? Another Sega/Disney great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

There was more than one 16 bit Aladdin game?

I 2nd the hell out of Jet Force Gemini. That and Duke Nukem 64 are the two best TPSs from that gen. Did I mention that I'm recommending Duke Nukem 64?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, there's the SNES platformer by Capcom, and the Genesis action platformer by Virgin. System warriors have debated over which one is better for ages. The Game Gear one is closer to a 2D Prince Of Persia style game, and it follows the movie quite tightly, but it's a perfect portable game.

Back when Disney was getting quality games based on their films.

gunswordfist

I of course only played the Genesis version. That was also way before I knew what the hell Prince Of Persia was.

And yeah, good movie games are such a distant memory.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 11, 2012, 07:14:32 PM
That and Duke Nukem 64 are the two best TPSs from that gen. Did I mention that I'm recommending Duke Nukem 64?
Do you mean Zero Hour? Duke Nukem 64 is a censored/technically inferior port of Duke Nukem 3D and is not third person.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 11, 2012, 08:04:01 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 11, 2012, 07:14:32 PM
That and Duke Nukem 64 are the two best TPSs from that gen. Did I mention that I'm recommending Duke Nukem 64?
Do you mean Zero Hour? Duke Nukem 64 is a censored/technically inferior port of Duke Nukem 3D and is not third person.
I believe that's it. The Duke I played was 3rd person and not a DN3D port.

Foggle

Yeah, Zero Hour is badass. Probably the only good 3rd person Duke game.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 11, 2012, 08:25:57 PM
Yeah, Zero Hour is badass. Probably the only good 3rd person Duke game.
I was thinking about how I liked Time To Kill but even back then I knew it was kind of a cheaply made game. Shit, did PS1 even have any good TPSs?

Spark Of Spirit

It had Silent Bomber which is sort of a TPS, but traditional TPS games? Not many I can think of.

Foggle

If you have an incredibly loose definition of TPS, Fear Effect might count. Might.

And the first three Tomb Raiders were decent.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 11, 2012, 08:32:52 PM
If you have an incredibly loose definition of TPS, Fear Effect might count. Might.

And the first three Tomb Raiders were decent.
I actually thought about Tomb Raider and didn't count it. I have no clue what Fear Effect plays like.

Anyway, it just reminds me that TPS is the most overlooked genre there is despite what the hardcore dumbasses say. At least beat em ups get lover here and there.