The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Nevermind, Foggle. You're old enough.

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Mine was the SNES, but I was too young to really remember it before I destroyed it. I got a PS1 and Genesis around the same time a couple of years later, so those are fresher in my mind.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

My sister and I had to share the NES and Sega Genesis we had back in the day, but I consider the N64 the first console I had that was 100% mine.

Spark Of Spirit

This past generation contains some of the best downloadable game that might become lost to the ages should the companies not keep up with how Steam works, but nonetheless I wanted to put up a list of the very best original games to come out of this past generation and the transformation of download services into full fledged possible platforms for proper games. So here's a list of the five best games to happen because of the the strides of the last generation.

1. Mega Man 9

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Inti-Creates
Platform: WiiWare, phones, XBLA, PSN

Of course, the top of the list has to contain the single best game to come out of the retro revival. Mega Man 9 is a full retail game from the NES era and also contains some clever DLC to complete the modern transition. But what makes this game top the list is that it might be the best game in the series, and that's no joke. Every level not only contains some of the best tunes ever in the series, but the tightest control, most clever level design, and unbelievably cool bosses. And this game is hard. REALLY hard. But that's the way it should be. This is the game that convinced people that download-only games had a future and it still manages to be as great now as it was when it came out. It is also one of the best games from last gen.

2. Hard Corps. Uprising

Publisher: Konami
Developer: Arc System Works
Platforms: XBLA, PSN

This one came out of left field. A company primarily known for fighting games comes out with a sidescrolling action platformer in a series well known for being one of the fathers of the genre. It also ended up being one of the best games in the series. You see, this is technically a sequel (prequel?) to spin-off game Contra: Hard Corps. except that outside of having a health bar it is more like classic games in the series like the NES games, Contra 3, or Contra 4. The 8 levels are long, mostly centered on platforming and taking out enemies, and has some hardcore bosses along the way. To be honest, this is the game I wanted back on the PS1 instead of those awful 3D games. Shame it came too late. Oh yeah, the only fault with this game is that there are (optional) DLC characters and yet none of them are Bill Rizer or Lance Bean! Really? ASW? Really?

3. Double Dragon Neon

Publisher: Majesco Entertainment
Developer: WayForward Technologies
Platforms: XBLA, PSN, PC

Keeping up the trend, WayForward creates the Double Dragon game we could have used on the PS2 with Double Dragon Neon. The humor is not for everybody being a parody of '80s beat em ups and action flicks, but that aside the gameplay is the best in the series with NES Double Dragon II, Super Double Dragon, and Double Dragon Advance, keeping up the DD series reputation of top notch beat em up gameplay. Ten stages broken up by a world map, a shop system and leveling system (that is completely optional), weak attacks and strong attacks, dodging, super moves, and an excellent soundtrack composed of remixed Double Dragon series classics as well as new themes, this is a full package of game. I do wish there was a 3DS or Vita version for portability, but this game is fun! It's also the last WayForward game directed by Sean Valesco, future director of Shovel Knight. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't grown up with these game not enjoying this one.

4. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

Publisher: Konami
Developer: M2
Platforms: WiiWare

A remake of the rather turgid original Game Boy title, The Adventure ReBirth is the first real classic style Castlevania game since the 16-bit generation. It clearly seems more modeled after Super Castlevania IV, which helps its accessibility to newcomers (even including a normal jump for those who want it) while still retaining a good deal of difficulty for series fans. The ReBirth series on WiWare only consisted of three games, but they are all well worth your time-- this just happens to be the best one. A fan of classic platformers? This was one of the best of the previous generation.

5. Blaster Master: Overdrive

Publisher: Sunsoft
Developer: Sunsoft
Platforms: WiiWare

You know, the strangest thing about this game is that it exists at all. Essentially a sequel to the NES game, Overdrive is just as brutally hard but with improved controls and level design. Part Metroidvania, part overhead shooter, Blaster Master has always enjoyed limited success, but I personally feel that this game deserves more attention. Yet again, this series has been sinking in irrelevance since the 16-bit days and a game like this proves it still has plenty of life in it. And once again, it wouldn't exist if not for download services.

So that's my list. What have you guys got?

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

hmmm...spelunky hd, shoot1up, shank 2...i think that's all of the last dl-only titles i have completed.

gunswordfist

i never really list my favorite ps1 games so in no order:

einhander
final fantasy viii
final fantasy ix
tomba!
castlevania sotn
rayman
crash 3
crash team racing
vigilante 8
vigilante 8 second offense
spyro
resident evil 2 disc 1
resident evil 3

Spark Of Spirit

Best PS1 games? That's tough. I'll keep it to exclusives.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tomba!
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Crash Team Racing
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Legend of Mana
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Twisted Metal 2

gunswordfist

silly question: what are klonoa and legend of mana like?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 11, 2015, 06:56:53 PM
silly question: what are klonoa and legend of mana like?
Klonoa is a 2.5D platformer (one of the first!) and Legend of Mana is an Action RPG with a ton of variety about how you want to play it.

Both are on PSN.

gunswordfist

so legend is like secret?

heh, i never really thought about when 2.5 platformers started.

Spark Of Spirit

Legend of Mana is very much a "choose your own adventure" style action RPG. There's no real narrative aside from quests you choose to do. It's very innovative yet a lot of fun like the other 3 core Mana games.

gunswordfist