Napoleon Dynamite

Started by Kiddington, January 16, 2012, 03:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

So... yeah; this premiered last night, as the 2004 quote unquote "hit" movie makes its unawaited and unanticipated television series debut.

Did anyone here even bother to tune in, or can we just all assume it sucks without having to actually watch it ourselves? I mean, some of the early reviews are already claiming it's that much worse than the movie, and the movie sucked. And of course, you can't look past the name "Mike Scully" and not be instantly reminded that the guru of bad Simpsons (and The Pitts) is indeed the man in charge of this. Two strikes already, and I didn't even watch it.

No ratings are in yet, but I'll already make my prediction now in saying we've got another AD dud that'll quickly be phased out in favor of American Dad's umpteenth return. Any thoughts?

Commode

I was working, so I missed it.  Not that I gave it much thought anyway, I don't really watch Animation Domination anymore.  I'm sick of the torture from all the mediocrity.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Is "I Want Candy" really the theme song for the show, or do they just use it in the ads?

I dunno, it looks pretty retched. Then again, I never liked the movie at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Saw 5 minutes. Everything was as awkward as going to a clown's funeral.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I watched both episodes.

I'm a fan of the movie, but the only thing this series had in common with the movie was the cast. The rest is about on par with modern Simpsons plot. The Mike Scully influence is so blatant, from the new locations to the absurd plot devices. The second episode actually involved a machine that could determine any given student's true soulmate. Something you would've never seen in the original movie.

I'll give it this though. It's much more tolerable than Allen Gregory, and I actually liked Allen Gregory. Aaron Reull was the best returning cast member since he's the one that put a lot of effort into his role and made the Kip moments far more memorable than they should be. Can't forget about Kevin Michael Richardson either. Dude's still got it.

I don't see it lasting long, but I'm pretty indifferent to its fate at the moment. I'll keep watching because anything is better than The Cleveland Show.

talonmalon333

Even if the movie were good (which it isn't, at all), this series is a little late. :P

No thanks.

Daxdiv

It basically was like what people did in the late 80's/early 90's with making a TV show based on a popular movie. Taking some liberties with the animation medium and such and making the series feel a little bit more cartoony than the property it was based on. The episodes were OK. I know that ND is a bit of an acquired taste, I know people that either love or hate this movie. I'm more in the middle group where I thought the movie was decent the first time I saw it. Really Kip was the best character in both episodes, I just loved him being a performer in the 2nd episode.

Spark Of Spirit

Mike Scully really needs to go back to being a writer. He really isn't that good at being a showrunner.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

He has written some pretty good eps of Parks and Rec.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/