Monkey Island & General Classic PnC Adventure Game Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 02, 2012, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

In my mind, this is the defining genre of the PC. Back when I was a kid and still now, the game I associate the most with the PC is the Point n Click adventure game. While the genre has sort of stalled in recent years (usually featuring bad indie games that are to the genre like Juno is to the teen comedy or Telltale... that's it) the genre is still a ton of fun to play today. I mainly circled this thread around Monkey Island because it is the most accessible series in the genre and probably the one most people have played, but feel free to talk about any of them here.

I still want to play the other Monkey Island games beyond 2, but them being so un-readily available (and me not wanting to touch the awfulness that is 4) I have yet to have a chance. Here's hoping for a rerelease of Curse Of Monkey Island (3) some time this decade to match the other 2 rereleases.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Curse of Monkey Island is seriously awesome. Like, I can't go back to the other games in the series because of it. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I hear conflicting opinions on the games all the time. Either way, I loved the first game a ton, but the second game (which I see people rave over all the time) sort of left me cold. I still want to play Curse someday.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Did I ever mention I actually went out and bought a genuine Roland MT-32 just to enjoy my Sierra games properly? Because I did.

Spark Of Spirit

For me, Sierra WAS PC gaming back in the day.

Have any of you adventure games fans seen this yet? That's pretty huge news!

Foggle

Jesus! It was only $500,000 this morning! And it only started yesterday!

QuotePledge $100 or more

Original "Double Fine Adventure" poster (suitable for framing) exclusive to the campaign, special thanks in the game's credits, and all previous reward tiers. (Posters will be shipped for free in the US. Please add an additional $10 to your pledge for international shipping)
Quote2042 Backers [and counting]

Good lord. Longest credits scroll ever?

Spark Of Spirit

Goal = $400,000
Current = $941,863
Days Left = 33

So, it's safe to say people want new classic PnC style games?

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 09, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
So, it's safe to say people want new classic PnC style games?
Definitely. I know TellTale's stuff usually does quite well on Steam. Been meaning to pick up their new Sam & Max games. Just waiting for a sale...

Lord Dalek

Sierra and LucasArts were my lifestock back in the day. Its so fucking depressing to see what both of them have become.

EDIT Speaking of my MT-32, one of the coolest easter eggs I ever stumbled upon was booting up Loom with it and getting this with it.