Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/20/game-thrones-emmys

It's funny how the most controversial season of the show (both in terms of PC outrage and quality) is the one that finally won the Emmy for best drama.

Personally, while I would've picked Saul for best drama this year, I'm not complaining, too much. While I agree that this season had its flaws, I found a lot of the major criticisms to be kind of ridiculous, since the controversial scenes fit the context of the story, while most of the story and character complaints were kind of unwarranted if you just payed attention (most stuff was explained). My only major gripes of the season was Dorne, which sucked, and a few big shock-value moments which I felt were poorly handled.

That said, I would've rather had this series win for an earlier season, myself, when it was at it's highest level of quality.

I also find it a bit questionable that Dinklage won for best supporting actor for THIS season, considering how underpayed his role was. Literally any other season would've made sense for him to win (and he DID already win once for the first season), but personally I feel like Jonathan Banks got robbed this year. And I absolutely love Dinklage, but he barely got to do anything this season.

Avaitor

I would have supported the show winning for season 3, but this year, OITNB, Mad Men, and Saul were all better candidates IMO.

It's hard to argue that a lot of its Emmys weren't well-deserved, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Award ceremonies are always kind of BS in that way.

Personally, I feel like the show could have easily won for seasons 2 or 4, as well as Dinklage for best supporting actor for those years. But while GOT was still a great show this year, there's no question that it wasn't its strongest output.

This felt more like an "overdue" win. Like the Emmy's were admitting that the show got snubbed the win in earlier years, and finally threw it a bone, when it should've just won for an earlier season to begin with.

For example, while I love Breaking Bad, my favorite season was the fourth. While I still loved the final season, I actually honestly feel that GOT season four was stronger, that year. It should've won for that, IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Season 6 trailer is out: http://youtu.be/CuH3tJPiP-U

Jon Snow being resurrected is the worst kept secret in the history of television. But they are still trying their darnedest to convince us that he's not coming back.

Also, here's hoping for Cleganebowl.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2016, 06:20:55 PM
Season 6 trailer is out: http://youtu.be/CuH3tJPiP-U

Jon Snow being resurrected is the worst kept secret in the history of television. But they are still trying their darnedest to convince us that he's not coming back.

Also, here's hoping for Cleganebowl.

I must be in the minority than, because I'm NOT convinced yet he's coming back. I hope for it yes, I am not putting past them to keep him dead or do a bait-and-switch.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you read the books and pay attention to the show, all of the clues are already there.

Also, it was leaked months ago that Kit Harington was seen on-set during the filming of an outdoor scene, and he was wearing a battle armor costume.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So basically, Stephen Dillan is to Game of Thrones what Orson Wells was to Transformers.

Dr. Insomniac

So after getting poisoned, Jack Gleeson performs in a family puppet show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I enjoyed the premiere, overall. Granted, everything that happened in this episode was pretty predictable for the most part.

Like last season, my only real strong gripe so far is with the Dorne plot-line.

Spoiler
While I don't mind them killing off Doran, Areo, and Trystane, since they were pretty boring, useless characters on the show, it does cement in the fact that we'll never get the great versions of the former two characters from the books. And it's really a shame, because The Dornish Master Plan could have been so interesting on the show if handled right. My only real gripe is that the actor who played Doran actually has some talent, so killing him off and letting the Sand Snakes (who are portrayed by terrible actresses) live on just lowers the quality even further. But, hey, even if we don't get the awesome Dorne plot from the books, at least we won't have to deal with the show version for much longer. In case you haven't noticed, Ellaria and the Sand Snakes aren't very smart, so they are sure to be dead before the end of this season if it follows typical Game of Thrones logic. In the end, Oberyn was the only Dornish character worth a shit on the show.
[close]

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
I was wondering if Jaime was so intent on getting revenge, why did he simply not turn his ship back and get Doran to help him fight the Sand Snakes? He knew that he and Ellaria weren't seeing eye-to-eye. Or he could've gone to some mercenaries and use his Lannister name to send them into Dorne.
[close]

That said, I liked it more than I expected.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I was complaining about that since last season, but then I got the idea that the Dan and Dave knew what a disaster the Dorne story-line was, and decided to just fuck everything rather than try to make sense of it all. I really do expect them to find a way to kill off Ellaria and the Sand Snakes this season, or at least write them off of the show so that they don't have to deal with Dorne anymore. I see it as a case of trying to get rid of something that's already broken beyond repair. At least, I hope that's what they're doing, here.

Also, since nobody else is going to say it:

Arya is Daredevil, and Stannis fucked a 200 year-old woman. Just give that a moment to sink in.

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
Thinking about it, Ellaria really blew her chances at getting revenge at the Lannisters since her alternative plan could have been:

1. Let Trystane and Myrcella go to King's Landing, but with Dorne assassins disguised as guardsmen
2. Have the assassins kill King Tommen in a way that looks like an accident
3. With the newly crowned King Trystane, slowly bring in more Dorne soldiers while claiming it's to boost King's Landing's security after how incompetent Tommen was at handling the Sparrows.
4. As soon as Myrcella gives birth to a child, have Ellaria come in and raise it.
5. Kill Trystane and Myrcella in another staged accident.
6. Ellaria rules over Westeros with figurehead king.
7. Profit

Sure, that wouldn't factor outside threats like the White Walkers and etc, but Ellaria wouldn't know that.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the problem with that is assuming that it would actually be easy to pull any of that off. Tommen has taste testers sample everything before they reach his lips (after the way that Joffrey died), so poison is a no go, and as King, he is constantly under guard, so it'd take someone with the skills of faceless men to actually pull off the kind of set-up kill which you're suggesting.

And since Cersei hates Dorne, and especially disrespects bastards (Ellaria is of course a Sand), there's no way that she would trust her sending in anymore Dornishmen to King's landing. Most higher-ups in King's landing wouldn't trust her, for that matter.

Granted, I agree that she's an idiot on the show. I'm just not so sure that specific plan would be plausible.