Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I think the reason people are taking umbrage over this scene is that Jaime's supposed to be going through a redemption arc, and it's hard to believe he's going through such redemption when raping his sister a few inches away from his son's corpse. It makes all that time with Brienne seem pointless if Jaime hasn't learned anything from the first season.

Dr. Insomniac

GregX

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT THING?!

Avaitor

Yeah, that White Walker was a new addition.

This was kind of a dry episode, but I'm curious about the development towards this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Game of Beach Parties IV: Bare Abs on the Baratheons

GregX

So... He's Lord of Harrenhal, and after tonight he has the Vale behind him. Even though Robin is Lord of the Vale, Littlefinger can operate as Acting Lord until Robin comes of age.

Since the Stark boys are "dead," Sansa is the last remaining Stark and would be the holder of Winterfell were it not for the Boltons. Of course, the Boltons aren't very popular and the North might rise to put a Stark back in charge. Especially Sansa who went through so much torment.

So if Lysa were to die and Littlefinger were to marry Sansa, he'd have Harrenhal, The Eyrie, and Winterfell to his name. That's a pretty substantial force, especially if Stannis, the Tyrells, and the Greyjoys continue to fight each other.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm almost caught up with the show, but man does this series never fail to impress me. Each season has been better than the last, and as of the first 3 episodes, this season looks to be continuing that trend.

Spoiler
In the first 2 episodes alone, we get to see Arya get her first vengeance kill on a minor character, but it was still really satisfying to see something of her way, finally. We also got to see Joffrey die....yeah, that's going to be really hard to top as far as satisfying moments go. My only complaint is that he deserved way worse than being poisoned to death, but it was still nice to see Cersei finally hurt for all of the shit she's done against the Starks.
[close]

On another note, my current top 3 favorite characters are:

1. Arya
2. Tyrion
3. Daenerys

Of course, this series is full of great and memorable characters, so the list could really fluctuate, but unless they get killed off anytime soon, I don't see Arya or Tyrion being replaced by anyone else, for me.

Dr. Insomniac

I guess my favorite characters would be:

1. Tywin Lannister
2. Bronn
3. Margaery Tyrell
4. Tyrion Lannister
5. Daenerys Targaryen
6. Arya Stark
7. Brienne of Tarth
8. Olenna Tyrell
9. Ramsay Snow
10. Samwell Tarly

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: GregX on May 05, 2014, 02:45:09 PMSo if Lysa were to die and Littlefinger were to marry Sansa, he'd have Harrenhal, The Eyrie, and Winterfell to his name. That's a pretty substantial force, especially if Stannis, the Tyrells, and the Greyjoys continue to fight each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Tyrion also have to die in order for that plan to work, what with him being Sansa's current husband (even if he is about to go on trial for treason)? I suppose Littlefinger expects that he will be found guilty and executed, but I'm hoping that he can use his wits to get out of this situation just like he did with the last "trial" that he was subject to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That last scene with Tyrion was brilliant. I loved seeing him finally stand up to his father. It was also great to see Jaime bargain for Tyrion's life. Hopefully a trial by combat will go as well for him this time as it did the last time.

GregX

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2014, 11:38:22 PM
That last scene with Tyrion was brilliant. I loved seeing him finally stand up to his father. It was also great to see Jaime bargain for Tyrion's life. Hopefully a trial by combat will go as well for him this time as it did the last time.

Every man has a breaking point, and Shae testifying against Tyrion (when he had already agreed to plead for mercy and take the black) was his. This was years and years of anger and hate at how he had been treated finally erupting... and it was glorious to see. Glorious.

Look at this show, now look at "Agents of SHIELD". Now look back at this show... "Agents" should be ashamed of itself.

Dr. Insomniac

The Yara scene seemed a bit filler-y. All the grandstanding she does in last year's finale about bringing her brother home, and she gets scared off by a dog. And I've been told she doesn't do any of this in the books, which adds some credence to the theory.

Daenerys' new role as ruler of Mereen is proving refreshing, especially when people are calling her out for paying evil unto evil. To these people, to some who probably had no business with slaves or pitied them just as much as she did, they see Daenerys as the conqueror who's taking their world and replacing it with hers. No matter how much she genuinely believes her cause is just and with no ill will, everyone else is just going to see her as the mad lady who punishes with dragonfire.

The court scene with Tyrion was excellent, with Tyrion and Tywin pulling off any schemes they have in order to demonize the other. I wasn't expecting Tywin to bring Shae out against Tyrion, and it was heartbreaking to see that relationship end like that. It's also interesting for Tyrion to pull the same trick he did back with Lysa Arryn. I expect Tywin and Cersei will try to take Bronn out of the picture, so Tyrion will be stuck with his own two hands rather than another's for this predicament.

Also, I liked Mark Gatiss' little cameo. His appearances are always welcomed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hope that "taking Bronn out of the picture" somehow does not mean killing him off. His chemistry with Tyrion has contributed to many of my favorite scenes and moments within the series. In fact, if I had just one minor complaint, it's that his role has been severely underplayed this season, thus far.

As for the trial by combat itself, though, I wonder if Jaime will step up to represent Tyrion, now that the deal with his father is probably off. It'd be the best way to both defend his brother and also prove his worth as a member of the Kingsguard, despite only having one hand to fight with (which he has trained with Bronn to be able to fight with, as previously established).