Imports!

Started by Foggle, May 06, 2012, 05:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 06, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Make an import thread.
Your wish is my command.

You know the type... those exotic, elusive games that were never released in your territory. The ones good enough to seek out fan translations or stumble through menus of untranslated Japanese for. The ones released in America that never graced the UK with its presence (or vice-versa). Indeed, quite a few of these games exist, and are made playable for all with systems that either aren't region-locked (PS3, PSP, DS, PC) or are easily hackable (Wii). Have you ever imported a game?

I have!

The first game I imported was Higurashi Daybreak for the PC (plus its expansion pack). Sadly, it doesn't run very well on anything newer than XP. I'm working with a few other delightful chaps on making an English patch for it.

The next one I picked up was Siren: New Translation (the Chinese version of Blood Curse). The game itself is in English, but the box and manual are all Chinese. Was a daily deal on Play-Asia; got it for half the price of the full PSN download. Also, most people don't know this, but the PSN release is slightly censored (it's barely noticeable). The Blu-Ray edition is not.

Then I grabbed Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty for less $$$ than the PSN download. It's the UK version, so it's all in English. Physical products >>>> digital media.

I've got three imported Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) games. Kenzan, the samurai one, has a full translation of all the cutscenes available on YouTube. Kurohyou, the PSP game, is a totally awesome (and hard as hell) 2D beat 'em up. And... Yakuza 3. Fucking Sega "confirmed" that it would never be released in the west, so I picked up RGG 3 when it was on sale at Play-Asia, and then two weeks later they backpedaled and announced the English version. It's all good, though, since the western release is missing around 50% of the side quests and mini-games.

Then, of course, is my greatest imported purchase, Fatal Frame 4. Picked that one up a couple of days after the English patch was released; a week later, it became impossible to obtain from import shops without spending $100+. Quite rare to see in the west and easily one of the scariest games ever made.

I also have a pretty sweet DS remake of the first three Higurashi visual novels. Limited Edition, too. Came with a badass card deck and some other goodies. Used it to practice my Japanese reading skills back in high school. Was actually helpful, too.

I've also made some mistakes. I imported an Evangelion "strategy RPG" that turned out to be 90% visual novel. Fuck that shit. I also imported an unreleased Monster Hunter game to play with my friend who loves the series. Soon afterward I found out that I hate Monster Hunter.

Commode

I've never personally imported any games, but I do have several Japanese Game Boy games that I found at various used video game stores(somebody had to import them here).  Most of them are playable without needing to understand the language, like Tetris or Dr. Mario or Mega Man(Rockman).  However when we get to Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Trading Card Game, you know text heavy games, that's where I have issues.  They are neat little things to have, but I don't think I'll ever be able to play them.

Oh, I also have a copy of Smash TV for the Super Famicom.  But seeing as I don't have a Super Famicom or an adapter...
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Quote from: Comeau on May 06, 2012, 05:25:36 PM
I've never personally imported any games, but I do have several Japanese Game Boy games that I found at various used video game stores(somebody had to import them here).
Hey, that counts! ;)

QuoteHowever when we get to Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Trading Card Game, you know text heavy games, that's where I have issues.  They are neat little things to have, but I don't think I'll ever be able to play them.
Yeah, if the text is an important part of the game and you can't read it, that's a big problem. I'd never buy, say, a untranslated JRPG. It just wouldn't be worth it.

QuoteOh, I also have a copy of Smash TV for the Super Famicom.  But seeing as I don't have a Super Famicom or an adapter...
If only region-locking didn't exist. There are so many great PS2 games I'll probably never play because of that crap.

Thinking of picking up Valkyria Chronicles 3 eventually since I don't care about VC's story; it's all about the awesome gameplay!

Rynnec

I haven't imported any games, but there are games I want to import. Mainly Fighting Games like Melty Blood, Hokuto no Ken (though I haven't seen the anime outside of clips, the Arc System Works game looks really good) and the Nanoha games, if Under Night In-Birth doesn't make it overseas, then I'll think of importing that as well. There are also a few Doujin game I want, but since you can get most of them by downloading them, I'm not sure if they count.

Quote from: FoggleYeah, if the text is an important part of the game and you can't read it, that's a big problem. I'd never buy, say, a untranslated JRPG. It just wouldn't be worth it.

This is why importing Super Robot Wars games are (unfortunately) out of the question for me. I want to play them, but since half the fun of those games is seeing all those characters interact with each other, the experience just wouldn't be the same without an english patch. Stuff like the Kingdom Hearts Final Mix's, which have english text are fair game though.

gunswordfist

Me and my big mouth. :gonk:

Physical Quest for Booty sounds great. *waits*

I've never imported, don't know how to....hmmmm, except for play-asia. I want to get Japanese Strider 2 from them. Reason why doesn't really mean much but I want voice acting for cutscenes even if it's in a language I don't speak. I also want Shining Force 3's scenario(s) that never made it over to America.

Are there any more better versions/more content for games that I can get from importing?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Yakuza 3 is missing a lot of extra content in the English version. That's all I'm aware of, though.

Neomysterion X. Prime

Do I own any imported games? I do have a European copy of Bangai-O Spirits for the Nintendo DS. Got it for only $10 at a flea market recently. Other than that, I don't own any other imported games at the moment. I also never imported any games to other countries as well.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I've got a japanese copy of Rival Schools for the PSX. It doesn't play on any of my Sony systems, but its a nice display piece at least.

I've been looking into buying Valkyria Chronicles 3, but finding it for a fair price is tough.

Daxdiv

I own Osu Tatakae Ouendan 1 & 2, Jump Ultimate Stars and Pokemon White from an import site. I mostly got OTO after enjoying Elite Beat Agents and don't regret getting the games. JUS was something I always wanted to play and since I had the money at the time I decided to give it a whirl. As for White, I just wanted to import 1 Pokemon title in Japan before the 3DS came out.

Kiddington

I own one import, and one import only: Pokemon Green. Yes, the Pokemon Green.

I bought it a few years ago through Amazon, believe it or not (IIRC, it wasn't all that expensive either; only about $20 or so). Mostly, I got it as a bit of an experiment for myself; to see the differences up close and personal, listen to the original Lavender Town theme to see if it would drive me insane like the internet says it will (read: it didn't), and so on and so forth. I'll admit, though; as a kid, I had always really wanted this game. I remember reading about it in an old gaming magazine, and for some reason it fascinated me.

Otherwise, nothing else. I have a few on my list that I'd like to get at some point; another one I've always wanted is the original N64 version of Sin and Punishment, but that simply isn't in the cards for me right now (you know, being unemployed and all).

Foggle

I wish Green had been released in the US. It's my favorite of the RGB colors. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 11:55:19 AM
I wish Green had been released in the US. It's my favorite of the RGB colors. ;)
Isn't Green basically Blue with a new title?

Blue is better anyway. Squirtle is better than Charmander and Bulbasaur, and Sandshrew > Ekans.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 05:31:01 PM
I mean, like, actual colors. ;) Blue is my favorite G1 Pokemon game. Squirtle is the best!

gunswordfist

Blue is better anyway. Squirtle is better than Charmander and Bulbasaur, and Sandshrew > Ekans.
Who the fuck is Sandshrew?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Neomysterion X. Prime

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 10, 2012, 09:27:33 PM

Who the fuck is Sandshrew?

Gunswordfist, Sandshrew would be this little guy.
Also, Pokemon Blue is Pokemon Green with a new title (order was messed up :P) since the version-exclusive Pokemon are the same in Green (JP) and Blue (US and Europe).