Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My knowledge of Gundam is very limited, but I really enjoyed the Unicorn OVAs back when they first came out. That said, diluting those into a 26-episode TV series is the dumbest shit that I've ever heard, and people's reaction to it seems to confirm that notion.

The only other Gundam series that I've seen in full is 0080, and it's one of my favorite anime ever.

Glad to see Hunter X Hunter hold onto its spot. At least for now. I have no doubt that if Toonami ever scores another popular show like MHA OR MP100, it'll force HXH down by a slot or two.

VLordGTZ

The problem with the Unicorn TV-cut is less that it's diluted (they don't really add any filler besides the recaps at the beginning of each episode), but more so that it feels very fragmented.  The OVAs don't have natural stopping points mid-episode, so cutting up each OVA into 3 TV eps leads to abrupt endings and breaks up a lot of the momentum each OVA builds.  While I personally think Unicorn is a far better series than IBO, it's understandable that a lot of Toonami viewers can't get invested in the show because of how the TV version is structured.  It probably would have been better for Toonami to just pick up Season 1 of Gundam 00 instead, if Sunrise/Bang Zoom still needed time to prepare the IBO Season 2 dub.

Lord Dalek

Or it could just be the fact that Universal Century Gundam is incredibly unpopular in the US no matter what they do to it.

Avaitor

Yeah, MSG had a shot if it premiered about a decade or so earlier here, but it's just not the kind of franchise that connects to western audiences the way it does in Japan. There's a reason that the most successful Gundam series here aren't really like UC at all- Wing (although if you ask me, it's too adherent to the classic MSG formula), G, IBO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

G Gundam actually failed pretty badly though when it came to the only metric Bandai cared about at the time, toy sales. Hence why we got the hot mess that was SD Gundam Force next.

Daikun

Toonami celebrated its 20th anniversary tonight, and their music video was pretty damn cool.

gunswordfist

Damn, 20 years..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

Not a simuldub but Titan 2 in four weeks people.

LumRanmaYasha

I figured as much. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for FUNi to hold off on a AOT same-day simuldub when they're doing one for MHA. Considering the timing, I'm assuming it'll be taking over JoJo's timeslot, which probably means no Stardust Crusaders, unfortunately.

Avaitor

It's looking like we're not getting Stardust Crusaders yet, yeah. I don't know if this means the series is done for Toonami, though. It's not that big of a hit, but it looks like it's been doing better lately, and Stardust might be what fans have been wanting from the show, so I could see it go either way.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

The whole "people will come back for the *so-and-so* arc" argument is old hat anyway. Look how many times they advertised certain One Piece things and nobody new tuned in.

Avaitor

I feel like it's kind of different for Jojo, since OP is the same characters and more or less the same kind of story, but JJBA changes much of it as it goes along.

But then, that hasn't really helped Gundam a whole lot, has it?

New blog!

Dreamer2

So, no Jack or Super tonight. Rick and Morty all the way up until midnight apparently.

I love Rick and Morty, but I was really looking forward to Jack tonight.

Also, I'm kind of excited for more AoT. Sucks for JoJo fans if it's done on Toonami. Of course that doesn't bother me much. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother finishing Battle Tendency since I fell behind.

LumRanmaYasha

I mean, they still might try airing Stardust Crusaders since JJBA isn't doing that poorly compared to the rest of the block (otherwise it would've been booted from 12:30 weeks ago), but I don't expect it to be a priority for them over other, newer shows they might be able to pick up.

Dreamer2

Yeah, they could go after it eventually, although for all we know it could just be too expensive for Toonami to justify airing it. But, who knows? If they ever air it, I'll probably watch it, but for now I'm happy it's being replaced with something I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy.