Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

But if that were the case, why not get something lower profile? Because last I checked, the Sailor Moon owners were very picky about the handling of their show, hence that dry spell a while ago when the series wasn't legally available in the US. Besides, doesn't CN have the rights to Big O thanks to co-producing it?

Peanutbutter

So much for Clownfish TV's prediction of CN getting shut down. Zaslav has pounded them, but they'd already be gone if that was going to happen.

That said, I do hope they do the right things with Toonami's lineup. Hopefully, they catch fire if they play their cards right.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 21, 2024, 04:21:56 PMBut if that were the case, why not get something lower profile? Because last I checked, the Sailor Moon owners were very picky about the handling of their show, hence that dry spell a while ago when the series wasn't legally available in the US.

...and Viz released the series uncut and in full, and that was a decade ago, so it's not a problem anymore.

QuoteBesides, doesn't CN have the rights to Big O thanks to co-producing it?

They have season 2. If they wanted season 1, they'll have to pony up some cash to Sentai.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on May 21, 2024, 08:22:44 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 21, 2024, 04:21:56 PMBut if that were the case, why not get something lower profile? Because last I checked, the Sailor Moon owners were very picky about the handling of their show, hence that dry spell a while ago when the series wasn't legally available in the US.

...and Viz released the series uncut and in full, and that was a decade ago, so it's not a problem anymore.

QuoteBesides, doesn't CN have the rights to Big O thanks to co-producing it?

They have season 2. If they wanted season 1, they'll have to pony up some cash to Sentai.
Except hadn't DeMarco claimed (which I frustratingly can't find since he deleted his Twitter instead of leaving it dormant) that he tried to get Sailor Moon Crystal to no avail, even though Viz had it, meaning there is established difficulty more recent than a decade ago? And why would 200 episodes of a popular show from Viz be cheaper or easier to acquire than 13 episodes of a now mostly niche show from Sentai? Even if it was just the first season of SM, that's still 46. And I think even only a few months in, CN would have enough data to know if Rewind was worth it or not.

Avaitor

From what I understand, what was keeping either version of Sailor Moon from Toonami was an exclusivity contract with Hulu, which appears to have expired.

I think the other reason that they're able to get SM is due to their relationship with Toei, who still believes in broadcast airings. That's why they were able to get One Piece for cheap and will probably get the new DB series, despite FuniRoll being otherwise difficult to work with.

As for Big O, I don't see it being a problem for Toonami to get season 1, especially since Sentai doesn't seem hard for them to work with. I don't know how high of a priority that would be, though, as opposed to what are arguably their three biggest shows ever.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Granted, I've been developing the theory that Crunchyroll themselves aren't that difficult to work with, and the real reason Toonami's had trouble getting shows from them is because they've struggled to give an answer to "Why would we let you air our biggest shows like JJK or Frieren run at 1 or 2 AM, at hours when most of the target audience for these shows is asleep? Why aren't you airing these at actual prime time hours?" Because if I were a Crunchyroll exec, I would have those questions.

Toonami scheduling, and CN scheduling in general, looks so below standards from the outside looking in. Why is MAWS, a show for kids that's more lighthearted than STAS that aired on weekday afternoons, premiering on midnights instead of at an earlier time?