Firefly

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 07, 2012, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I just watched the first episode of this for the first time, on Netflix. It was pretty good. I'm going to watch more tomorrow.

And yeah, that's pretty much it....for now.

I will say that I did see Serenity with a friend who was a fan of the show in theaters, and I really enjoyed that movie despite never having seen the show (I haven't seen it since then, though). It got me interested and my friend told me I should really check out the show, and I said I would....except I just kind of forgot about it until now. Anyways, I'm going to watch the whole show (which is only 14 episodes long, apparently), and then re-watch Serenity to see how that movie holds up and just how it is after actually knowing about the characters from beforehand.

Avaitor

I actually just rewatched the series very recently after finding the complete series at GoodWill for $10. Even though it was sadly cut short, I love how there's a lot of structure with all the characters as they progress. The pilot is a great start, and it only gets better from there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm 4 episodes in, now. Its still pretty good. I can sort of see some of the comparisons this show gets to Outlaw Star, but as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing since I love that anime. Still, this is obviously a more sophisticated and well fleshed-out take on the whole space Outlaw thing.

Also, Wash is a pretty good character with some really funny lines, now that I've gotten to see a more substantial amount of screen-time with him in this series. It just sucks that I already know that he'll get offed in the movie since I saw that back when it was in theaters. :(

Avaitor

Would you say that Wash is your favorite? Everyone gets fleshed out a lot, so it's easy to get attached to a couple of characters in particular. Besides Mal, I really like Kaylee.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't say I have a favorite, yet, but I really like Mal (mostly because his character has gotten the most exposure, so far). All of the characters are pretty likable, but I have to admit that I have a thing for the gruff mercenary type characters even if they are far from the deepest characters on the show, so Cobb is probably the closest I have to a favorite character among the crew besides Mal.

Avaitor

Mal's character is really interesting because he's originally supposed to be really deadpan and brooding, but Nathan Fillion is unable to play a totally straight character, and pulls off a great carefree attitude alongside his dark side.

And Jayne, well, he's Jayne. You gotta love him, even though he does screw the whole gang over a couple of times before the series is done.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, but I guess that's to be expected from a hired gun. He's pretty much there for his pay-check, though he does seem to have some sort of obscure respect for Mal as the captain, even though I wouldn't put it past him to betray him if the price was right. Still, like I said, I actually like that type of character.

Avaitor

That's another aspect I like about the show, how everyone has a huge amount of respect for Mal, no matter what their circumstances. Probably because Mal can easily pick and choose between good and bad members for the crew, and gives everyone nearly equal respect while making sure that they all know where they stand when it comes to rankings. Jayne makes for a lot of big talk, but also knows that if he does try anything where Malcolm can easily catch him that he won't pull any punches, which is why he does lay low a lot of the time.

Even his relationship with Inara works due to their feelings for each other. That gets hinted at more as the series progresses, though, so I won't say too much else.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I really like characters like Mal. Nathan Fillion just pulls the roll off really well, since when I see him on screen, I can believe that he's a captain that people would respect and follow with loyalty.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got done with the episode Our Mrs. Reynolds. Damn did that have a ton of funny moments in it. This show is actually really good at being humorous while still telling a serious plot, as evidenced by this episode. This is probably my favorite one so far, though I still have more than half of the series left to go through, so that could change soon.

Avaitor

Spoiler alert. Don't read under this pic of River Song indicating such unless you want to be spoiled.

This won't be the last you see of Saffron. She appears once more in the series, and I believe if the show ran for longer, we'd have seen plenty more of her.

Also, I'm considering hiring River up for our official spoiler warning smilie, since we have issues with the spoiler tags. Do you guys like this idea?

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 10, 2012, 11:18:33 PM
I just got done with the episode Our Mrs. Reynolds. Damn did that have a ton of funny moments in it. This show is actually really good at being humorous while still telling a serious plot, as evidenced by this episode. This is probably my favorite one so far, though I still have more than half of the series left to go through, so that could change soon.
That's a great episode. I haven't watched the series in at least five years, but I remember my favorites being that one, Jaynestown, War Stories, and Objects In Space. But I love every episode... except Heart Of Gold.

Avaitor

I like that one if only to see Mal and Julie Cooper shack it up.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What did you guys think of Serenity as a send-off movie to the series (that was sadly cut way too short)? I'm curious to see what you guys think from the perspective of people who saw it after already being a fan of the TV series. I myself enjoyed the movie a lot and I had never actually even seen the series beyond a few random minutes in a few random episodes every now and then as I flipped through channels.

Avaitor

It's in my top 5 sci-fi films, alongside Aliens, Empire, Blade Runner and Akira. Overall, Serenity is very good and surprisingly inviting for newbies to the show, but yeah, I do have a couple of problems with how it rushes the development of the characters. I can't get into more right now since it's been so long since I've actually seen it though.

New blog!