Favorite Video Game Genres

Started by gunswordfist, June 18, 2012, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 02, 2013, 02:00:40 PM
I really only found the beginning segments to be tough, and that's really only because I had to take some time to get used to RE4's aiming style, though the more limited amount of ammo and items in the beginning also forced me to be more cautious.
You are also much better at video games than me, so... :D

I mostly just found the veeeeery first part of the game and some of the early castle stuff with Ashley difficult on my first playthrough. Normal mode definitely isn't all that hard, though. At the same time, Professional can be extremely annoying at times, to the point where it isn't even fun. And let's not even go into Professional mode in RE5, or No Hope in RE6... :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 03:56:06 PM
You are also much better at video games than me, so... :D

Eh, I'm honestly pretty average or even below average at most video games. I think I'm only fairly decent at hack n' slash games (probably above average at those, but nowhere near great) and FPS games since I've played a lot of those. Anything else I'm either only mediocre at best or just flat-out suck at. I especially suck at fighting games, sports games, and stealth games.

QuoteI mostly just found the veeeeery first part of the game and some of the early castle stuff with Ashley difficult on my first playthrough. Normal mode definitely isn't all that hard, though. At the same time, Professional can be extremely annoying at times, to the point where it isn't even fun. And let's not even go into Professional mode in RE5, or No Hope in RE6... :whuh:

I've heard that Professional mode in RE5 is pretty easy if you have a human-controlled partner with you, but an utter pain in the ass if you have to rely on the AI.

Foggle

The only genre of game I'm particularly good at is stealth, honestly. (And horror, but it's hard to be "bad" at horror games.) I play a lot of beat 'em ups, FPS, platformers, etc., but my depth perception and muscle memory are both pretty bad so I usually can't tackle anything above the middle difficulties.

talonmalon333

I must be the only person in the world who struggled more on RE5's normal mode than RE4's.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 05:11:08 PM
I must be the only person in the world who struggled more on RE5's normal mode than RE4's.
Depends. I beat co-op on Normal dying only once. Single-player, on the other hand, was infuriating on Normal.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 05:10:09 PM
(And horror, but it's hard to be "bad" at horror games.)

I kind of don't really classify horror itself as a video game genre, if only because its more like an aspect that can be applied to any genre. I more-so classify game genres in terms of general types of gameplay mechanics.

In that regard, you can have a game that's more of an action horror hybrid (i.e., RE4, Alan Wake, etc.), or horror games that rely on stealth mechanics, or some other gameplay mechanic in general. In that regard, Fatal Frame and Dead Space are both horror, but in terms of gameplay their both fall into completely different genres. Another comparison would be F.E.A.R. and Sweet Home, which are both horror games, but one's an FPS while the other is an RPG. Thus, I can't really call horror game its own genre among video games.

QuoteI play a lot of beat 'em ups, FPS, platformers, etc., but my depth perception and muscle memory are both pretty bad so I usually can't tackle anything above the middle difficulties.

You should really try playing NGB on the harder difficulties at some point. Its really honestly not based nearly as much on good reflexes and advanced combos as you might think (if it were, I probably wouldn't be able to play the game above normal, either). Its actually more fun in that its about proper strategy and careful item management.

Halo games are also a lot of fun on harder difficulty settings, and once again you don't really need to have great reflexes or even great aiming to play most of these games solo, on Legendary. If you are really clever with how certain weapons and vehicles work, you can find a really easy strategy to tackle almost every battle in the game, or skip them entirely, and that's a huge part of what makes Halo games so fun and interesting to play for me.

Foggle

By "horror", I meant straight-up horror adventures like Fatal Frame, the old Resident Evils, Silent Hill, Amnesia, etc.

I tried playing Halo on Legendary a few times, and I couldn't handle it at all. :X Hard mode is good though.

I actually have played Ninja Gaiden on Hard mode! I think I'd consider that a middle difficulty, since there are two above it IIRC. It was really fun, though some parts got to be a bit much for me. Mentor in NG2 makes me cry though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 01, 2013, 03:01:59 PM
1. Stealth
2. Beat 'em up/hack 'n slash (the DMC kind, not the Diablo kind)
3. Horror
4. FPS/TPS
5. Platformer

That's my top 5. I like pretty much any genre, but these are the kind of games I normally prefer to play.
Stealth being your favorite explains why you like it in any other genre, no matter how shoehorned.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 05:59:50 PM
I actually have played Ninja Gaiden on Hard mode! I think I'd consider that a middle difficulty, since there are two above it IIRC. It was really fun, though some parts got to be a bit much for me. Mentor in NG2 makes me cry though.

Well, NG2 is a little bit less balanced than NGB/S, so the higher difficulties can stray the line between challenging and ridiculous at times. That said, Mentor mode is still mostly skill-based, but it really should have just been the highest difficulty of the game. Master Ninja was tedious to the point of not even being any fun to play. Actually, the Mentor mode in NG2 should have been Master Ninja mode, and another difficulty should have been put in-between that and Warrior which should have been called Mentor mode, as there was way too ridiculously huge of a jump in difficulty between the Warrior mode and Mentor mode that we got. I almost quite playing the game when attempting it on Mentor mode until I learned the ropes and found that Mentor mode was the best difficulty in terms of being challenging but fun (though once again, a few times it did delve into cheap territory, but not nearly often enough to spoil the experience for me).

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 02, 2013, 06:01:32 PM
Stealth being your favorite explains why you like it in any other genre, no matter how shoehorned.
Actually, I think it's awful in Jake's part of RE6 and pretty much any JRPG ever.

gunswordfist

:unimpressed:

EK, you've played Sweet Home?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't actually played it, but I have seen the original film and know about the game thanks to the HVGN video on it.

Spark Of Spirit

Playing SGnG for the first time reminded me why platformers will always be my number 1 genre.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I like stealth games like Metal Gear, Hitman, and Splinter Cell. I also enjoy beat-em-ups and action games. I've grown to really love mystery games thanks to LA Noire and Phoenix Wright. Still have to check out Hotel Dusk sometime.