Castlevania

Started by Lord Dalek, July 22, 2012, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

GUESS WHAT! I'M A KONAMI FANBOY! AND THE ONLY PERSCRIPTION... IS MORE BELMONT!

Yeah this is like my favorite video game series of all time (Gradius is 2nd), so I'm kinda amazed noone's done a thread about it yet. And SCVIV and Rondo of Blood is like my second and first favorite games of all time respectively I think. AkuDrac's been trucking for 25+ years now and its arguably the most "if it ain't broke... don't fix it" format outside of Mario. Hell even the  Castleroid-era didn't change it that much.

So what are your thoughts? 

Rynnec

I've played two of the GBA Castlevania's (Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow), and two of the DS Vania's (Dawn of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin), and I like what I've played of all four of them.

Haven't tried out any of the Classicvania's, Symphony of the Night, or Order of Ecclesia yet, though I'd like to. I also should download Harmony of Despair once I get the chance.

gunswordfist

I played SOTN for the first time in a little bit. Partially for motivation for my SOTN entry, partially for something else. I'm loading my end savefile and just traveled around the castle, Learn something new everytime. I put on some random knuckles weapon and found out how to do a 'hadoken' and punch flurry.

The Castlevania I want to get my hands on the most now is Bloodlines. That is, if I don't already have it. I was looking everywhere for the SNES version of Rondo Of Blood only to recently find out that my brother already had it on the laptop he gave me. :lol: I also have the pc version. Got nowhere in there. Annnddd SOTN is the only one I've beaten. 'm way behind on every good long running series.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I think these games are harder than the Contra games. (Well, the non-Metroid style ones, anyway) The only main series games I've beaten are Rondo Of Blood and Castlevania ReBirth.

That said, I do really enjoy the series. It's a shame that we don't seem to get too many of these games anymore since the Lords Of Shadow universe seems to be taking everything over everything from now on. Konami might try to Silent Hill it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Lords of Shadow wasn't even that popular, though. Would Konami really invest in a sequel to that game rather than just continue with the 2D handheld games which have at least been moderately successful by the sales standards of handheld games? That decision just doesn't make sense to me. At any rate, I wouldn't mind if LoS wasn't such a blatant God of War clone like every other shallow hack n' slash game that wants to look appealing to the mass public of gamers, but since it is I'm just not interested in it.

Spark Of Spirit

The new portable game is a 2.5D sidescroller set in the LoS universe. It might be fun, but I would rather have had a classic style game. It's been a while (for a new one, I mean- ReBirth was a remake of the worst classic style game) and I would like to play a totally new entry.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

LOS is just going to be the next two games and that's it, which is good since I don't want Konami getting too far off track from the main continuity and game style.

gunswordfist

I started a new SOTN file last night or early this morning, I forget. Anyway, the beginning is good as ever. I got past Alucard's first boss, which I really love. Honestly, one of my favorites just because I love team working enemies and once I think about it, I don't know many bosses that do it.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm so bad at this series. I played Rondo last night and died three times against the level two boss. Then later I made it to stage 4 and did the same thing.

Then I played III and... I don't even want to talk about it.  :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

So I just looked at the SNES version of Dracula X... Ewww. What happened to the graphics and level design? The controls look clunkier, too. And what did they do to the final boss fight? It looks like total cheese.

I honestly have no idea what Konami was thinking of with this port. Everything is a total downgrade from the original.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2012, 11:17:26 PM
So I just looked at the SNES version of Dracula X... Ewww. What happened to the graphics and level design? The controls look clunkier, too. And what did they do to the final boss fight? It looks like total cheese.

I honestly have no idea what Konami was thinking of with this port. Everything is a total downgrade from the original.
Yeah don't play that game. Its garbage and has probably done more to damage Rondo's reputation in the eyes of modern critics than anything else.

Also... its the source of one of my greatest pet peeves in regards to people who don't know that the X in Akumajo Dracula X is actually a roman numeral, unlike say Megaman X.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2012, 08:02:19 PM
I'm so bad at this series. I played Rondo last night and died three times against the level two boss. Then later I made it to stage 4 and did the same thing.

Then I played III and... I don't even want to talk about it.  :sweat:
I'm not much better. I've only beaten Harmony Of Dissonance and SOTN, meaning I can't ger past a classic one.

And last night on SOTN..I...I forgot how to get through the Clock Tower.

gunswordfist

That midboss in Stage 2 of Bloodlines is a pain. Talk about demanding perfect timing. Well almost.

I wish more Castlevanias used 8 directions. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that you can use 5 in Bloodlines...when in the air. Also nice that it has a seperate button for sub-weapons like Super IV does. I've been thinking how it would be perfect if Super Castlevania IV's and Rondo Of Blood's controls/moves were combined. Why isn't this game being made?

gunswordfist

Is Vampire's Kiss a better version of Rondo of Blood for SNES than Dracula X or something? I searched for Castlevania roms for the emulator my brother got for his phone and stumbling across that game.

Spark Of Spirit

The Turbografx/PC-Engine version is the one you want.