The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Sweet. Now if they can also get Saturn and Dreamcast games up there as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Man, I still have all my Gamecube games on the shelf. Might be a while before I decide to rebuy anything. Though I do look forward to the day I can just have all these games on a single machine and finally save shelf space.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm really hope the VC gets every system up to the Gamecube. I'd really like the service expanded and given a shot in the arm.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So is this just Gaben handing over the license to have Steam pre-installed on certain computers with a big fat sticker on the box?

When I think gaming PC's I usually think of Alienware and as far as I know most people think they're horribly overpriced. That really doesn't seem like the direction this will take but I just can't imagine how else it would look. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what they put out next year.

Foggle

My guess is reasonably-priced (around the same cost as the next gen consoles) mid-high end easy to set up PCs sold directly from Valve. They probably plan on making most of the manufacturing costs back from people buying games on Steam, which will come pre-installed. It's a brilliant idea IMO. Core gamers who want a cheap-ish PC that works more like a console will get to experience most of the perks of computer gaming without the hassle and expense. If done right, it could potentially blow the 720, PS4, and U out of the water.[/fanboy]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree that (if done right), this would be a far better option for gamers than a console. Granted, if you still want your exclusive Nintendo IPs that'll never legitimately find their way onto PCs, then a WiiU may still be worth getting. But a PC that's priced about the same as a console but can be hooked up to your TV and can play the newest releases combined with having the great deals that only Steam can offer you would basically just trump anything that the XBOX720 or PS4 could possibly do in any way. I mean, both consoles might have their exclusives but Sony does a horrible job of letting any of their IPs become long-established franchises (which is what Nintendo has going for it, which is why it now has such large dedicated fan-bases for its various IPs to support each release they make), while Microsoft barely has any noteworthy exclusives to go around (seriously, now that Call of Duty is as big as it is, they can't just rely on the next Halo game to get people to buy their next console anymore).

Foggle

Oh yeah, every system will still have its exclusives... that'll probably never change. But I think, if this turns out well, most gamers will want to go to PC and Valve for their multiplatform needs. The sales, mods, control options, sheer volume of games (dating back to the 80's), superior online play, and impressive graphics could reel in just about every knowledgeable non-fanboy. Valve knows this, and by this time next year they'll probably be laughing all the way to the bank.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on December 09, 2012, 10:45:40 PM
Oh yeah, every system will still have its exclusives... that'll probably never change. But I think, if this turns out well, most gamers will want to go to PC and Valve for their multiplatform needs. The sales, mods, control options, sheer volume of games (dating back to the 80's), superior online play, and impressive graphics could reel in just about every knowledgeable non-fanboy. Valve knows this, and by this time next year they'll probably be laughing all the way to the bank.
That's a much more logical way of thinking.

And what you described,  sounds fucking awesome. :o

I had no clue Valve had enough bank to do anything like this. Shows how much I've been paying attention to Steam.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I'm really enjoying my U quite a bit. Miiverse is unique, the pad works great, and Off-TV play is excellent.honestly, I'm going to be totally fine with me being my only next-gen console at this point. As for the games, here are my comments:

New Super Mario Bros. U: Like NSMBWii was to SMB3, this is closer to SMW. Instead of Yoshi going level to level, you have the baby Yoshi's which honestly blow Yoshi out of the water. Especially since he can't make eggs or infinite flutter jump like in Yoshi Island. As for the levels, it ramps up pretty fast. By Layer Cake Desert the difficulty starts to perk up. I'm currently half-way through Meringue Clouds, and it gets pretty tricky. The challenges are a great addition as is boost rush mode, so as a whole I would say this is the best NSMB game. Still though, I'm hoping that the next 2D Mario isn't NSMB-related.

NintendoLand: The weirdest part of NintendoLand has bee the reaction to the attractions. Everyone seems to think other attractions are better that everyone else's favorites. My favorites, however, are easily Balloon Trip Breeze, Pikmin Adventure, Metroid Blast, Donkey Kong Crash Course, and Yoshi's Fruit Cart. But different experiences will appeal to different people. As a whole, it was a great choice for a launch game and pack-in with the Deluxe system. Like Wii Sports it gives you an idea of the potential for the controller, but unlike that this is deeper in replay value, especially for single players.

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: It's the best kart racer since Double Dash. The world tour is the best single player mode in the genre since Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing, and the courses are superb. Off-TV play, ten player online, five player local, and supporting about every single controller type you can imagine bodes well for future third party versions of next-gen games. This is one of the best launch games, no question.

Trine 2: The game looks amazing, even in Off-TV play. Using the touch screen to levitate is a nice touch, as is aiming arrows (which is also optional) and general movement with the d-pad. It also seems to run a lot better than the PS3 and 360 versions, almost on par with the PC one, and three player local and online is a nice touch. A patch is apparently coming to add voice chat, pro controller support, and bumping the graphics up further, but this game bodes well for indie developers.

Nano Assault Neo: This is basically a dual stick shooter similar to something like Robotron meets R-Type. The game is addictive and fun and has global leaderboards. There's not much to say about this, but it proving that arcade style games are still awesome, and that the dual sticks are in great positions. It was easily worth the $10.

As a whole, aside from my launch day woes of the disc drive, this is a great system with a lot of potential. I'm really eager to see how the controller is taken advantage of in future updates and releases, and as a whole, I'm really satisfied with what I got and am perfectly fine with this being my last video game console. Friend lists are easy, communities are actually helpful, and the store is straightforward. About the only thing I would like is for them to combine the Wii shop with it so I can play VC games Off-TV, but that will probably come one day. Honestly, this is a great and unique system, but it's about all I'm interested in getting from this industry. Powerful graphics aren't gonna do it for me anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

How is the eshop? I can't access it (or any other wifi-related feature like Miiverse) without getting an error code for some reason.

Spark Of Spirit

Have you called Nintendo about the issue? They should be able to help.

As for the eshop, it's pretty straightforward. There are several categories with images of each game on the front page. The first is "Games By Category" That lists Adventure Games, Multiplayer Games, What's Popular, and Wii-U Retail Games. One below it that says "More Indie Games" listing Nano Assault Neo, Mighty Switch Force HD, Trine 2, and Little Inferno. Below that is "Featured Games" which lists every other launch game not at the top of the page.

Then there's "Nintendo Direct" which has the most recent Nintendo Direct. "Videos On Demand" that has Netflix and Youtube (and probably Hulu for you guys).

At the bottom is "Coming Soon To Nintendo eShop" which has Toki Tori 2 and Puddle. Below that is "See All" which is everything.

Most games are available in the eshop short of Activision's random missing games and Mass Effect 3.

Rynnec

Haven't called Nintendo yet, but I will if I can't find any solutions online.

The eshop sounds pretty neat. I take it Nintendo Direct is basically the replacement for the Wii's Nintendo Channel?

And the american Wii U menu does indeed have a Hulu plus channel.