The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It wasn't a hard prediction to make. Imagine a game series that you like. Now imagine that for the sequel, the developers said that they were going to take away about 90% of the content from those previous games. Mind you, they aren't actually going to replace that content with anything, but they are just taking away a lot of content for no reason at all....and that's it. There's nothing to make up for it, its just more of the same....but also less of the same....somehow.

Yeah, I don't know about you, but that kind of sounds like the recipe for disaster....or the lack of ingredients to actually even make a fucking sequel in the first place. Seriously, what idiot approved NG3 under the idea that they would just remove anything that made the series good in the first place?

Commode

If these rumors pan out to be true then I won't buy either console on principle alone.  What happened to consoles constantly coming out with new features?  Now they are all restricting what you can and can't do.

Also I'd like to point out just how many people won't be able to use the next Xbox or PS4 if this happens, namely the amount of Xbox 360's and PS3's that are currently on my ship(and my ship only has ~300 people on it, imagine the aircraft carriers, which have upwards of 6000 people on them).  We have no way to connect them to the internet, but we can still play them and even do local multiplayer.  I guess that won't happen next gen.

As an aside, that new ZombiU Wii U bundle is really really enticing.  I'm really considering Amazon'ing it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

These rumors aren't stopping, by the way. It's not looking good.

The Wii-U is the last console to not have anti-consumer garbage, if true, and my former stance on it being my last console will remain the same.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

No discussion on the recent announcements, guys?

They include a 3DS port of DKCR (which doesn't mean anything to me), and the announcement of 2013 being the "Year of Luigi".

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 13, 2013, 05:05:07 PM
These rumors aren't stopping, by the way. It's not looking good.

Yeah, it's pretty funny, actually. I'd love to see how Microsoft is reacting to the constant overwhelming negative feedback to these rumors. I haven't heard them deny anything, at least.

Spark Of Spirit

Down the road I'll probably invest in a gaming PC or Steam Box in addition to my Wii-U. I'm not in any rush for this next generation.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 15, 2013, 03:47:44 PM
No discussion on the recent announcements, guys?

They include a 3DS port of DKCR (which doesn't mean anything to me), and the announcement of 2013 being the "Year of Luigi".
The port of DKCR looks great to me since it will officially get rid of the waggle to roll thing. I enjoy motion controls when done well, but the motion controls in DKCR were just silly.

A full game 80 levels of DLC for NSMBU is pretty intense. Even more so that it seems to be incredibly hard and Luigi-focused only. Expansion pack DLC is the only real kind of DLC.

I'm also excited for Luigi's Mansion and Mario & Luigi 4, but all the e-shop stuff was the most surprising.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I think people greatly overreacted to the tiny amount of motion controls in DKCR. .3.

Spark Of Spirit

The only shaking the made sense was the ground pound. The rolling and the blowing were silly.

Having a portable version with better controls sounds good to me. If only they could get David Wise to make a new soundtrack as well.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 15, 2013, 04:29:04 PM
The only shaking the made sense was the ground pound. The rolling and the blowing were silly.

Having a portable version with better controls sounds good to me. If only they could get David Wise to make a new soundtrack as well.

The rolling and blowing were so minor though. Especially the blowing. If I remember correctly, you can choose to never use it if you wish. And to be honest, I liked not having rolling and running be the same button.

I still don't get it. Truthfully, it just seems like more "Motion controls are stupeed!" complaining. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Mapping a move that could be used by a button to a motion is exactly what people hate about motion controls. Unfortunately, that's what everyone sees motion controls as, and Nintendo sure didn't help that image with how they were used in DKCR.

Skyward Sword fighting = adding to the experience
SMG starbit collecting and spin = nice touch
Metroid Prime 3 aiming = superior to dual analog
DKCR Rolling = unnecessary waggle

Playing it with homebrew makes it far better, but Nintendo fixing it themselves means it'll be implemented better.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 15, 2013, 04:52:56 PM
Mapping a move that could be used by a button to a motion is exactly what people hate about motion controls. Unfortunately, that's what everyone sees motion controls as, and Nintendo sure didn't help that image with how they were used in DKCR.

Skyward Sword fighting = adding to the experience
SMG starbit collecting and spin = nice touch
Metroid Prime 3 aiming = superior to dual analog
DKCR Rolling = unnecessary waggle

Playing it with homebrew makes it far better, but Nintendo fixing it themselves means it'll be implemented better.

What button was left? There are only two convenient buttons for that type of game. One was used for running, and the other for jumping.

Spark Of Spirit

The same way it was used in the original trilogy and most every other platformer. One button for jump and the other for run/roll/grab.

I never had any problem with that scheme in the old games.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 15, 2013, 05:00:57 PM
The same way it was used in the original trilogy and most every other platformer. One button for jump and the other for run/roll/grab.

But there are parts of the game where you're essentially recommended to run and then roll, either to make a certain jump or whatever.

It just wouldn't work. DKCR is not the old games.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 15, 2013, 05:04:16 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 15, 2013, 05:00:57 PM

But there are parts of the game where you're essentially recommended to run and then roll, either to make a certain jump or whatever.

It just wouldn't work. DKCR is not the old games.
It works. I know because I beat the game without waggle.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fuck, all this talk makes me remember how much I really want to play DKCR, being such a fan of the first 2 games (maybe I'll give the GBA version of DKC3 a try someday). As much as people were bitching about the Wii and how it was the weakest console of the generation, I sure can't help but feel like there's a lot of games that I missed out on that I REALLY actually want to play. So that ain't too bad for such a "weak" console. On the other hand, aside from Ratchet and Clank, Yakuza, and maybe a few other exclusives, I'm still not the least bit interested in the PS3, and while the XBOX360 got off to a decent start (IMO), I can't help but feel ultimately disappointed in the weak output of this console now that the current generation is winding down and making way for the next generation (which I guess has already started being that the Wii-U is out).