What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Yesterday I beat my first Nightmare level on Doom. It was the very first level. I beat the 2nd level too. As a kid I recall one of the Sergeants on the first level up on the first steps kicking down a dead body that instantly killed me upon contact. Can that really happen or was that my overactive imagination?

A few days ago, I found out where Grosse was in Doom II and beat it. The hell at the end of that stage?!!

Yesterday, I finally got past Episode 4 Map 2 on Doom 1 Ultra-Violence. The first two levels in this episode are probably the hardest out of any in Doom 1 or 2 so it's been months since I tried to beat the 2nd stage. I got up to the 4th level tonight and stopped because I need to check online to find out this episode's secret exit.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Is the Conduit worth playing? My GameStop has that for $5.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I never got around to playing it, but all comments I've heard say it isn't worth it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

So... Donkey Kong Country Returns is pretty good and all.

Why did I wait so long to play this?

talonmalon333

Bout time. :P

Donkey Kong Country Returns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Avaitor

It really is.

Oh man, I really need to play the originals again. I even have the first on SNES now, but I just haven't got around to it. Boo to finales.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Yeah, I beat the original just a couple of weeks ago. It's actually what inspired me to finally get around to DKCR.  :awesome:

Still holds up just as well as ever.

Grave

Huge wall of text coming.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Finally getting around to playing this game. Not far at all. Just reaching chapter 2, I think it is.. When you first starting traveling with Sully. So far the way the game plays feels good. Nothing feels sluggish or slow to respond. Liking the characters that were introduced so far. I really like the visuals so far, especially the snowy beginning. I'm looking forward to completing this game and moving onto Drake's Deception, although, I should probably buy Drake's Fortune and finish that one up, but then again, I didn't really care much for that one.

DmC: Devil May Cry
Ah, yes, last time I was involved in a discussion about this game it was basically being shot down. Truth be told, though, considering how much I enjoy the DMC games, it's not a bad game by any means, but it's not the perfect game that those review sites made it to be either. I think Angry Joes review is spot on. Both Dante and Vergil are unlikable. With that said, I do enjoy the combat even though the lack of a lock-on button is mind boggling, especially because there are some enemies that fly and they are annoying. Then the point of having to switch to a Angelic or Demonic type of weapon to kill a specific type of enemy really messes with the flow as well. That freedom to play the game, or at least fight however you want is hindered (and that's a problem in a lot of games these days). The satisfaction is definitely there though when cutting up baddies though (not near the satisfaction that's in MGR:R which I'll get to in a bit). When the camera slows down on that final swing really makes me feel good in a twisted way. With all that being said it's a good game. Against my better judgment, I plan to get Vergil's Downfall. DLC's really pissing me off. Capcom specific to be exact, especially when that DLC could've been an unlocking feature for completing the game.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
I completed this about 3-4 days after I bought it, and I'd say this game is a blast considering the short length. My only issue(s) with the game is that the stealth mechanic should've been left out completely. Even though they say something along the lines of try to take enemies out quietly, I just never saw a reason to do so, not to mention the game encourages you to fight any and everything (at least in my eyes). The other issue. Sub-Weapons. I never found a need to use them. Instead of those types of sub-weapons I would've liked to see more melee weapons. I don't really plan on doing any of the VR Missions. That type of stuff never catered to me, however, I do plan to get Jetstream Sam.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Over the past few months I've been in quite the character crisis. Not like in Super Street Fighter 4 whereas I was trying to find that character for me, but more like I'm trying to narrow down the options. There are so many characters in this game that I like and are easy enough for me to play till I found myself just trying to come up with so many teams. Wolverine, Captain America, Nova, Vergil, Hawkeye, Dante, Spencer, Taskmaster, Magneto, Wesker, Akuma, Strider, and Doctor Doom all saw play. Just recently I saw a pad player play Dante and Spencer and beat probably the best player in the game, and that got me motivated to put Dante back on my team. Originally, my team was Dante, Vergil, Spencer/Hawkeye, and I found both Dante and Vergil to be a little hard to play as because of the execution it takes to play them, especially Dante with his bold canceling. In any case, the teams I'm looking at right now are

Spencer, Dante, Vergil
Dante, Vergil, Hawkeye
Nova, Dante, Vergil

I do recall saying how much I favor Dante and Vergil over everyone else, and it's unfortunate that my character selection are all top tier characters, but it can't be helped. I have a lot of fun using them. Wolverine and Cap are also very fun characters as well, and will probably see use on those teams as well. I played my brother-in-law a couple of times and got bopped, but with each set we play I see a lot of improvement on my end. I was not expecting him to play Vergil considering our first set he was using Chris, Zero and Ryu.

Street Fighter X Tekken
People still love to hate on this game, and truth be told, it's justified (but not saying Injustice or MK9 is better). The DLC on disc is gonna hurt them forever. That said, this is becoming the new SSF4 to me. I'm get more excited every time I see high level play, not to mention the variety of characters even though Jin, Law, or Hwoarang seems to be on most teams, but whatever. My team(s), unfortunately lie along the lines of top tier

Jin, Hwoarang
Jin, Guy
Guy, Hwoarang

I still might throw Lars in there for good measure because of how easy it is to use him.

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012
That fire is burning out with this game. At this point I don't really watch any matches unless it's high level play of Ken, Guy, Yun, Yang, Rose, Cody, Oni, and Evil Ryu. Everyone else just bore me to tears (and that's mostly because of the players in the U.S. I usually don't mind people playing top tier characters, but it's definitely boring to see almost all top 8's full of Ryu, Cammy, Seth, Fei Long, and Akuma, although I can probably still watch Cammy if played at a high level. US Cammys are trash, at least in tournies.

Characters I'm using here are Guy, Yun, and Rose (possibly Oni). Cody will probably see a lot of play as well since he's my best character at the moment.

Reason I keep saying "watching" is because I have to draw my motivation from somewhere. If I get bored with what I see, I lose the desire to play.

talonmalon333

Foggle

I actually really enjoyed the stealth in MGR. But I almost always love stealth mechanics, no matter how shoehorned in they may be.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 28, 2013, 12:09:03 PM
DKC Returns is essentially DKC1 on steroids.
That's an apt comparison.

I'm really going to enjoy playing it again on my 3DS. The game is pretty awesome.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2013, 12:36:00 PM
I actually really enjoyed the stealth in MGR. But I almost always love stealth mechanics, no matter how shoehorned in they may be.

Don't get me wrong, I love stealth as well (MGS fan here), but the way it's used in MGR, it just bothers me. If they actually made it where Raiden would actually walk or at least creep up on an enemy I'd be fine with it, but he's running up on people. Logically speaking, considering he's a cyborg and wearing heels and whatnot, it's bothersome. I guess deep down it's a nitpick issue more than an actual hindrance. However, I actually hated the part where you're sneaking around as the small bot.

In any case, I just finished a set against my brother-in-law in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I got bopped pretty badly, and I'm angry because I wasn't punishing him for doing the same tactics over and over (mash crouching light attack... BAH), not to mention the priority some characters have over others really got on my nerves as well. Just because Megaman's not in the game doesn't mean that Zero has to have so much priority with his normals. My God, I hate that character even more now. Ranting aside, my Spencer has really improved a lot. Shocked myself at the possible comebacks that almost happened. Had quite a few with just Spencer. Despite the fun I usually have with Dante and Vergil, unfortunately I may end up dropping them because of the execution barrier. I still have to learn the game before jumping into characters like them. So as of right now my team is Spencer, Hawkeye, Wesker and Nova, Spencer, Hawkeye. Nova and Wesker are fairly easy characters to use. Nova takes a little bit to get used to because his combos are slower than most of the other average sized characters. Not to mention he does grown man damage and is very fun to use. Wolverine may also have a spot in there just so my brother-in-law will see how it feels to be hit by mashing lights all the time.

talonmalon333

So what are you guys' thoughts on the Twisted Metal franchise?

gunswordfist

Back in my day, I was a Vigilante 8 fanboy so I missed out on the whole TM movement. I want to get Black and whatever Twisted Metal with the multi-part boss fight Jaffe was demoing at an E3 a year or two ago. I loved that..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing Super Mario World on the Wii-U VC and I just killed Ludwig in one hit.

I'm fairly sure that's never happened before.  ???