What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I picked up Etrian Odyssey for the first time in months, finally got past the part I was stuck on, actually managed to get two floors further, got the Clear Key to open some of those blocked doors throughout the dungeon, went through a shit-ton of battles, was nearing the end of the second stratum (finally)...

and the game froze. It fucking froze, and I didn't save a damn thing. Not picking it up for a few months again, I guess.  :unimpressed:

gunswordfist

Read up on how to get to Doom 2's first secret stage and then got there today. Those were so big ass doors, it was interesting fighting non-demon foes and it was kind of confusing to travel through due to most of the areas looking alike. Good to see a level that wasn't all dark and grey.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

So I go on PSN and see The Red Star there for $4.99.

Needless to say, I grabbed it. I'm not sure if I'll jump right in but if you have a Sony system, you should get it. It is one of the best games on the PS2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Avaitor

I pulled out my Kirby collection for the first time in a little while, and picked up Dream Land 2 again.

Now I remember why I stopped playing through this set. Yeesh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Skip Dream Land 2. It's really not all too good, it's like a C-tier Kirby's Adventure.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think I only have one more level to go, but I will be skipping it regardless.

It just isn't that fun. Too pointlessly hard to be.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

Meh, having a job is overrated.

Anyway, I'm currently watching Metal Gear Solid being played. I'm only doing this so I can piece together everything finally (considering I don't have MGS1, nor do I own a gamecube to play Twin Snakes).

And then I'm still going strong with Super Street Fighter 4. Not as heavily since I got back to work. But for the most part I think I finally got my main character(s); Guy (Yun). This is probably the 4th-5th time I've came back to Guy (character loyalty plays a role) and I get more satisfaction doing his combos even though everything he does is potentially risky. Every time I watch a video of Yun being played at a high level he looks too fun to pass up, and I may main him in 3rd Strike.

Grave

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition
Becoming very bored of the training mode. Sure I can always go to the trial mode instead, but a lot of the combo's there are impractical, and then the game is probably too technical for what little time I actually have to put in the game. I can always watch matches on youtube and whatnot, but playing it, I'm beginning to understand why people are saying the game is becoming stagnate. (It's also sad when a top Japanese player says top Japanese players are getting bored with the game and are awaiting a new SF game)

Persona 4 Arena
Took me by surprise at how easily accessible it is. There's an auto-combo for Christ sake. But even without the auto-combo I was surprised at how easy it is to pull off combos. It's unfortunate that the character selection is just based around Persona 3&4. I would've preferred a larger roster. I'm fairly certain there were more characters in P3 that could've been used, but even then, while I never played any of the Persona games (I've seen 3&4 played though), they could've easily used characters from the 1st 2, but "shrugs". I like what I've seen so far.

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Quirky version of Samurai Warriors. I've only played as Masamune Date so far. I don't know how many paths there are for each character, but I can say that there's definitely more than 1. Playing this game makes me realize how much the ball was dropped when it came to Bleach: Soul Resurrection. So much potential went down the drain on that one. Anyway, I'm having fun playing this. Kinda wondering where some characters came from, but oh well. I'm currently playing as Yukimura Sanada. Animations are quirky as well (The way Yukimura runs is silly)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 29, 2013, 07:14:46 PM
Becoming very bored of the training mode. Sure I can always go to the trial mode instead, but a lot of the combo's there are impractical, and then the game is probably too technical for what little time I actually have to put in the game. I can always watch matches on youtube and whatnot, but playing it, I'm beginning to understand why people are saying the game is becoming stagnate. (It's also sad when a top Japanese player says top Japanese players are getting bored with the game and are awaiting a new SF game)

I think that kind of goes with ANY fighting game once people have been playing it for too long. That especially goes for hardcore gamers who play this stuff competitively. After a few years they'll have burned themselves out on the whole thing, and there won't be many new strategies coming out to keep the competition lively and interesting. When the game is brand new, the community will always be finding out new stuff about the capabilities and strategies possible with the various characters in the game, but after a while people will just play the hell out of it to the point where there's not much more fulfillment that they can get out of the game.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 29, 2013, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: Grave on January 29, 2013, 07:14:46 PM

I think that kind of goes with ANY fighting game once people have been playing it for too long. That especially goes for hardcore gamers who play this stuff competitively. After a few years they'll have burned themselves out on the whole thing, and there won't be many new strategies coming out to keep the competition lively and interesting. When the game is brand new, the community will always be finding out new stuff about the capabilities and strategies possible with the various characters in the game, but after a while people will just play the hell out of it to the point where there's not much more fulfillment that they can get out of the game.
True.

gunswordfist

My baby brother and me have been playing Perfect Dark yesterday and the day before. We tried to beat a challenge and then we played deathmatch and team deathmatch and we saved some rulesets and had a blast with those two modes from there on.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Despite my issue in the other thread with the series, I played the Fire Emblem Awakening demo and really dug it. The game runs smooth, the customization is handled cleverly, and the team idea works great. I'll definitely be looking to pick this up.

Grave

Sengoku Basara
Good game. Probably not as good as Warrior's Orochi 3, but it's still good. Lots of potential in this game. It's just too bad that the company decided not to make a sequel because there could've been more characters to the roster. Only flaw that I really have with the game is that, while the buttons are responsive, it's more like if you continuously push a button while holding a direction the character keeps going in that direction even if you try to go in another direction, sometimes making you completely miss the enemy altogether. But other than that it's a good game.

Masamune Date
Yukimura Sanada
Kotoro Fuma
Keiji Maeda

I've completed the game with all of them so far and am currently playing through Ieyasu Tokugawa, which might be the best character in the game, at least in terms of having fun. There's nothing like punching through 100s of enemies. I feel as if his fighting style was made specifically for me since every blow he throws just feel so good. I also hate fighting against his army since he has Tadakatsu, a freaking cyborg/machine thing that takes forever to put down. If I were to play this on a harder difficulty I can see myself raging quite a bit.

Future games I plan to get are Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Guilty Gears XX: Accent Core + or whatever it is that's on PSN. I have yet to decide on my main character in Persona 4 Arena, and I've yet to try out BlazBlue, but I'm currently thinking about making maining Ragna, Jin, or Hakumen.

Spark Of Spirit

I got the Sly 4 demo off PSN and played it. Yeah, it's a Sly game.

I'm picking up my copy tomorrow, so that was a nice teaser. It looks like Sanzaru know what works.