What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

MGR is already out? Didn't know it would have stealth.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Huh? Stealth in the Metal Gear game? Who would've figured? :-\

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 20, 2013, 05:48:46 PM
Huh? Stealth in the Metal Gear game? Who would've figured? :-\

To be fair, it's a spin-off. A hack and slash one, at that. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

talonmalon333

Rynnec

Finished MGR last night. That sunset duel with Sam is easily the best boss fight in the game, followed by the final boss. Speaking of which...

Spoiler
Armstrong gave me a lot of trouble until I figured out his patterns and how to prevent him from healing himself, opting to dodge the debris he throws at you instead of doing that difficult Blade Mode sequence also helped out a bunch. Metal Gear Excelcious was a bit of a pushover for a penultimate boss, though at least he isn't as bad as Arkham.
[close]

Also tried out hard mode earlier today and died to Metal Gear RAY...thrice. And on a final note: the Fox Blade is hilariously broken with a certain upgrade. It makes the final levels look like a joke.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, what does the replay value of MGR look like for those of you that have it? I know that the game is short (apparently only about 4 hours long), but that doesn't necessarily bother me as long as the game can support at least 3 or more play-throughs.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 23, 2013, 11:42:48 PM
The replay value is great! :joy:

That's good, but I guess I should have asked for more description in that regard. Like, does the game have collectibles, multiple harder difficulties with altered enemy placements or better enemy AI on the higher difficulties, multiple costumes and accessories to unlock, and so on?

That's usually stuff that always sucker me into coming back for more. ;)

Foggle

You start with three difficulty levels, and I believe you unlock another one after beating the game (I haven't finished it yet). There might be a fifth one as well, but I'm not sure. Rynnec can probably talk more about enemy placement and AI. ;)

As far as collectibles, all I'm aware of are the VR Missions, of which there are 20. Finding them encourages level exploration, and the few I've tried are quite fun in their own right. I don't know if these particular ones are PS3 exclusive or not, as I was under the impression that the exclusive ones were going to be DLC.

There are tons of unlockables moves. There are also extra weapons and costumes, though I haven't seen many of either yet.

And of course, the game is just extremely fun to play in general.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, that sounds like all of the information I need. I'll probably pick this game up over my week-long break in the beginning of March. :thumbup:

Rynnec

Just beat hard mode. Didn't notice any drastic changes in the enemy placement and AI outside of being slightly more aggresive, I'm expecting very hard mode to be where those things getreally noticeable.

For collectables and unlockables other than the VR Missions, there are Data Files and men in boxes that are scattered across levels, the left arms of certain enemies can be collected if you cut them off correctly,  collecting/finding certain amounts of things nets you some unlockables.

You can also unlock stuff by beating VR Missions and higher difficulty modes.

Spark Of Spirit

I finally got my hands on Giana Sisters DS and beat it. IMO, it's probably the best platformer on the DS. It's simple and straightforward and not all that hard (the first two worlds were really obvious) but that's what makes it so good. The soundtrack also sounds classic without sounding faux-retro.

If you can find it, I highly recommend it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2013, 04:21:53 PM
I finally got my hands on Giana Sisters DS and beat it. IMO, it's probably the best platformer on the DS. It's simple and straightforward and not all that hard (the first two worlds were really obvious) but that's what makes it so good. The soundtrack also sounds classic without sounding faux-retro.

Is that the same game as the one on Steam?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 05, 2013, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2013, 04:21:53 PM

Is that the same game as the one on Steam?
I'm not sure, there are a lot of Giana Sisters games. Is there a screenshot of the Steam version for me to see?

The DS one looks like this:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton