What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2013, 04:24:05 PM
I'm almost done with world 7, but I'm taking a break because von Grapple has got on my nerves.

You referring to that attack that does an absurd amount of damage?

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2013, 04:24:05 PMI will say, that while I think Vivan's on-location power is the lamest of the party, she's got to be the best partner in combat.

I actually like her on-location ability. As for combat though, my favorite was always Goombella. Her headbonk and tattle abilities are just so useful.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 30, 2013, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2013, 04:24:05 PM
I'm almost done with world 7, but I'm taking a break because von Grapple has got on my nerves.

You referring to that attack that does an absurd amount of damage?
Yeah. It's especially a pain when he does it twice in a row, and doesn't give me much time to heal or attack.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 30, 2013, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2013, 04:24:05 PMI will say, that while I think Vivan's on-location power is the lamest of the party, she's got to be the best partner in combat.

I actually like her on-location ability. As for combat though, my favorite was always Goombella. Her headbonk and tattle abilities are just so useful.
It's not bad, but you never need to use it as much as you do most of the other guy's powers. And as much as I like Goombella, I love Viv while against bosses, because the Fiery Jinx always packs quite a wallop.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I almost always found myself using Koops most of the time unless I was against flying enemies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

There's a certain badge combination I always abused to go through bosses like a knife through butter. I can't remember it had something to do with charging, power pluses, and one of the bounce attacks.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got to finally play more BioShock: Infinite today (I don't play video games on the weekdays when I have to work during my rotations), and I made it all of the way up to Shantytown. The game mostly gets better as it goes along. I still find that I'm not really using Plasmids that much, but perhaps at the end of the day I'm more of a guy who just likes to get down and dirty and use good old fashioned guns. On that end, I find myself always changing up my variety when it comes to weapons. I never use any single weapon as a crutch, and I have found at least one good strategic use for each weapon in certain situations, if not more. I do wish that a game like this had more unique weapons to offer up, however. With how imaginative the world you inhabit is, you'd figure that they'd come up with something more creative than just standard machine guns, rifles, and rocket launchers and the like. Either way its not a big deal, but I suppose I was expecting some more unconventional weapons to be thrown into the mix.

At any rate, like the rest of the BioShock games, this game primarily excels at story and atmosphere (well, 2 wasn't so good with the story, but it certainly still had the atmosphere down). On that end, its one of the few game series that actually felt like  a "next-gen" game I would have wanted to play, which is to say that back during the XBOX, GC, and PS2 days, this is more along the lines of what I was expecting from the future of gaming, at least for the more story-driven games. From a gameplay standpoint, though, I still think the game is good but not great. The best part about it is exploring, but the combat itself is pretty decent as well, just not on par with some of the best in the genre, like F.E.A.R. as far as modern FPS games go.

Still, the positive thing about this game is that I want to keep playing it more as the story goes on, because it gets a lot more interesting. I just hope the ending for this game is a better pay-off than it was in the original BioShock (I was really disappointed with that ending, myself).

Avaitor

The most annoying thing about the final boss?

Every time you die, you have to go through the whole damn cutscene all over again. Pain in the ass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

The BioShock Infinite ending is amazing. One of the most satisfying in any video game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on June 01, 2013, 01:47:05 PM
The most annoying thing about the final boss?

Every time you die, you have to go through the whole damn cutscene all over again. Pain in the ass.

Is that in reference to the first game or Infinite? As for the final boss in the first game, I could imagine that being annoying, but I never actually died on him because I was really well-stocked on health and ammo by the time I had to face him. That's actually another thing that I just realized that Infinite took out, as you can no longer hold med-kits, but I'm OK with that because the game is already mostly easy enough as it is (I'm sure 1999 most is challenging, but Hard mode isn't giving me that much trouble, on the whole).

Nel_Annette

I figured Aviator was talking about the Shadow Queen from TTYD. Because it really is annoying every time you have to sit through that shit when you die.  :lol:

Foggle

There is no final boss in Infinite, and if you die on the final fight, you don't have to rewatch any cutscenes.

The game is not exceptionally hard, though it can get pretty tough at times in the second half. I liked the level of difficulty it provided on Hard mode, personally.

Avaitor

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 01, 2013, 03:55:45 PM
I figured Aviator was talking about the Shadow Queen from TTYD. Because it really is annoying every time you have to sit through that shit when you die.  :lol:
I am. Sorry if I got you confused, EK. :P

What's even worse is that there's a certain point in this final fight where you get an even longer and more redundant cut scene, so if you die after that point, you have to go through both scenes allll over again.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 01, 2013, 05:18:55 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 01, 2013, 03:55:45 PM
I am. Sorry if I got you confused, EK. :P

What's even worse is that there's a certain point in this final fight where you get an even longer and more redundant cut scene, so if you die after that point, you have to go through both scenes allll over again.

The cutscene was a bit long. But at the very least, I thought it made the final battle more epic. It just made the stakes seem so great.

Foggle

Those awful final boss cutscenes are the reason why I never beat TTYD when I was a kid. The Thousand Year Door? More like The Thousand Year Dialogue Balloons.

Avaitor

I get the need for epicness, but they take. So. Damn. Long. Especially when you go back to all the other worlds. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could just beat Peach already.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

It should be one of those things where once the game knows you've seen the cutscene once, you should be able to press start or something to skip it, or at least it should have let you hold down a button to power through the dialogue or something.