The Kirby Series

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 03:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Goddamn those final bosses in Kirby's Adventure. Took me forever to get the second one down.

Still a great game though. And the level that nodded to Dream Land kicked all sorts of ass.

Tomorrow I will start Dream Land 2!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Good. I can't find my copy currently, but I've been feeling like picking it up again. Kirby's non-platformer outings are usually quite great as a rule.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2015, 10:35:35 PM
Good. I can't find my copy currently, but I've been feeling like picking it up again. Kirby's non-platformer outings are usually quite great as a rule.

That's good. How are the stylus controls? Also, how about Mass Attack?

It's funny because I tend to think of Kirby as a generic, conservative franchise. But then I stop to think about it and remember that it's a franchise that's really willing to take risks. First they implemented the copy ability in Adventure (which has since stuck), then we have "8 games in 1" Superstar, then a Metroidvania, then a bunch of touch screen games, and then Epic Yarn which... just look at the title. It's a game made of yarn.

Spark Of Spirit

Also, I think Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe are two of the best games in the series.

Mass Attack is the only Kirby game I don't currently own. I think it came too late in the DS life-cycle for me. But one of my friends says it's great, so I do want to get to it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Mass Attack is garbage. Absolute garbage. Return To Dreamland was the clear winner by an absolute mile that year.

Now, take my word with a grain of salt because I couldn't figure out how to play the game worth a damn (I hate hate HATE stylus/touch screen-focused games) and generally just don't like Kirby's non-traditional games.

gunswordfist

kirby has a metroidvania?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

These are my top Kirby games (from what I've played). I imagine you've played more of the series.

1. Kirby Super Star
2. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
3. Kirby's Adventure
4. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
5. Kirby's Dream Land 2
6. Kirby's Dream Land
7. Kirby's Dream Land 3
8. Kirby's Epic Yarn

I didn't play enough of The Amazing Mirror to judge it. I do think it's interesting that it was a Metroidvania, and that your other Kirbys were also exploring at the same time and sometimes, by chance, you could stumble upon them just doing their own thing in random areas.

Spark Of Spirit

My problem with Amazing Mirror was that the map was terrible, you had to keep powers (the annoying Adventure-style one hit and you lose them powers) in order to get through certain areas. It was incredibly confusing to navigate and I had no fun with it at all.

My top Kirby games would be:

1. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
2. Kirby Super Star
3. Kirby Triple Deluxe
4. Kirby's Dream Land
5. Kirby's Epic Yarn
6. Kirby's Adventure / Nightmare in Dreamland
7. Kirby Squeak Squad
8. Kirby's Dream Land 2
9. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
10. Kirby's Dream Land 3
11. Sakurai himself for not making that awesome looking canceled Gamecube game
12. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror

It's strange for me to say this, but I think I'm ready for a 3D Kirby platformer now.

Nel_Annette

While I actually like Amazing Mirror (way more than Spark, probably  :sweat: ), I will agree with him that the map is absolutely awful. When I replayed the game on Wii U, I kept trying to take different paths for an hour and kept winding up at the mansion. There's a single part of world 1 where you can go down and make your way a few screens down to world 3, and it is so easily missable. All the worlds have random paths connecting to each other in blink-and-you-miss-it spots and behind blocks that require specific powers to break. Powers that aren't nearby and you probably don't have at that moment.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2015, 10:58:41 PM
11. Sakurai himself for not making that awesome looking canceled Gamecube game

Most sources I've seen say that became Return to Dream Land.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2015, 10:58:41 PM
It's strange for me to say this, but I think I'm ready for a 3D Kirby platformer now.

I was actually just thinking about that ten minutes ago. I do wonder how they could pull it off, as Kirby's inhale ability seems more suited for 2D.

Spark Of Spirit

That game wasn't Return to Dreamland because it had helpers:

Also, Sakurai wasn't involved in Return at all.

As for a 3D game, Hal was experimenting with them between the canceled Gamecube game and Return and even released some concepts. They actually look pretty good.

It's a shame that these games never saw the light of day.

Spark Of Spirit

And I'd like for them to make one. Really.

Heck, it could be a full sprawling map like a 3D version of the Great Cave Offensive and I'd be perfectly fine with that. I just think 3D Kirby can offer a lot of different possibilities.

talonmalon333

I like this perspective for 3D Kirby.