The Kirby Series

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 03:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomysterion X. Prime

It wouldn't hurt to have an appreciation/discussion topic about Kirby, right.  :blush:

Feel free to talk about the Kirby games and characters past and present here. Discussion of the Kirby anime and elements will belong at the Anime board as usual.

I'll kick things off with a list of my favourite Kirby games (in chronological order):

Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Adventure
Kirby Super Star
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Kirby's Epic Yarn (have yet to play more of it)

talonmalon333

Solid series. Kirby is never amazing but never bad either. You can always count on him to produce a good game.

... Now I know I said he's never amazing, but Kirby Super Star is an exception. That game is amazing indeed.

Spark Of Spirit

Kirby Superstar is awesome. Unfortunately, no Kirby game since has come close to topping it. Which is a real shame. For some reason, everything went back to Kirby's Adventure level simplicity. Which is fine, it just isn't as complete an experience as Superstar's powers, helpers, levels, bosses, and music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Neomysterion X. Prime

Even as a fan of the NES myself, I still like Kirby's Adventure.
But Kirby Super Star, like the rest of you are saying, really tops the list without a doubt.  :blush:

Commode

I think my favorite is the NES one, Kirby's Adventure.  Aside from the amazing graphics the game had for the Game Boy at the time, Kirby's Dream Land is kind of boring(kinda similar to Super Mario Land 2), although Dream Land 2 and later Dream Land 3 on the SNES are better.  Never played the N64 game, and Super Star and Epic Yarn are really good too.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Neomysterion X. Prime

Did anyone get word on yet another new Kirby game coming to the Wii? It's not Epic Yarn this time, it's something completely different!  :shakeshakeshake:

Here's a trailer for it.

Unlike Epic Yarn, this latest Kirby game for the Wii is more of a throwback to the previous games of the Kirby series (Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Super Star, etc.). People keep on saying if this is really the same Kirby game that was going to be released for the Nintendo GameCube, but didn't due to the GCN's life-span coming to a close.

Not to mention that I never saw Kirby wield a sword that big ever in my life. If you didn't pick up Kirby's Epic Yarn, you'll seriously look forward to this upcoming Kirby title.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly it looks a lot better than Epic Yarn. That's not to say that Epic Yarn looks at all bad in any way (the graphics and overall design look amazing), but the gameplay always did look a little bit on the boring side to me, and a lot of Kirby fans themselves seem to find the game pretty bland in terms of gameplay, and not just because its ridiculously easy. This game looks more like something that's up my alley, though, and it seems very reminiscent of Kirby Super Star, which is definitely a good thing.

Foggle

Looks awesome! I wasn't a fan of Kirby's last two home console outings (Air Ride and Epic Yarn), but this one seems like it'll be right up my alley. :thumbup:

Angus

I tried that Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) on the plane ride back today. That's an interesting take on mini-golf.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Neomysterion X. Prime

I enjoyed Kirby's Dream Course myself. Getting all the gold medals can be a challenge, all of that accuracy required in every hole, it can be grueling to nail a gold medal.

talonmalon333

I'm looking forward to the new Kirby. I wasn't particularly a fan of Epic Yarn. Just can't enjoy games THAT easy.

My favorites are Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Superstar, definitely.

Spark Of Spirit

So to bump it, here's my list for Kirby platformers:

Knuckle Joe Tier

Kirby's Return To Dreamland
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dreamland

I love these three the most for various reasons. The Wii game basically takes Kirby's Adventure and throws in all of Super Star's improvements like better powers, multiplayer, and variety, making it easily the best game as a whole. Super Star has tons to do, and never gets old. The first Kirby game is the simplest, but despite how short it is is highly replayable with the Extra mode and tweekable options. It doesn't have powers, but it doesn't matter, the simple gameplay is great.

Tac Tier

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland
Kirby Epic Yarn

These are cool games that added something to the mains series and remain pretty great even now.

Wheelie Tier

Kirby's Dreamland 3
Kirby 64
Kirby Squeak Squad

To me these are stock Kirby games that are just sort of there. They're good, but they don't really do anything to stand out. Good games, but nothing really amazing.

Waddle Dee Tier

Kirby's Dreamland 2
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror

My least favorite games in the series. Dreamland 2 is a lesser version of Adventure with short and boring levels and Amazing Mirror is a poor Metroid wannabe with an awful map.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

You haven't tried Mass Attack! yet?  It's a pretty interesting game, and can get quite difficult trying to defeat your adversaries and keep all your Kirby's.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm kind of shaky on the "experimental" Kirby games. Everyone was raving about Canvas Curse, for instance, and I found it utterly dull.

I was afraid Mass Attack would do the same.

Eddy

Bumping this up because I just beat Kirby's Return to Dream Land. This was the best Kirby game since Super Star!

QUESTION: What is different about the extra mode after you beat the game? It looks like you have a smaller health bar but is that it?