Beat 'Em Ups

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 28, 2010, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on December 29, 2010, 04:40:14 PM
The Scott Pilgrim game finally got the Knives Chau DLC for the Xbox 360, yet I tried playing the game earlier, and it still fucking frozed on me. Dammit Ubisoft, you were supposed to fix that.
UbiSoft is lame like that.

Somewhere in UbiSoft HQ...
Employee 1: Even when we delay our PC versions for half a year, people still buy them!
Employee 2: This is a problem. What can we do?
1: Hmm...
2: Hmmm...
1: Hmmmm...
2: I know! Why don't we force people to be connected to the internet at all times and have a broadband connection to play our single-player games!?
1: My god, you're a genius...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd probably be more pissed off at Ubisoft's incompetency if I actually gave a shit about any of their games. But as it stands the only property they have that really peaks me interest is Prince of Persia. Well, I'd also like to play Scott Pilgrim, but I'll be honest and say that I was kind of disappointed by what I'd played of it. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't find it that entertaining. It wasn't bad at all, but nothing about it really stood out to me after I got past the admittedly good art design and graphics.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, they did make Red steel 2, but since that probably won't ever get a sequel, fuck 'em.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I got X-Men after Christmas, but I keep ignoring it in favor of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. Played it a few times with my brother though, and the later stages are ridiculously hard, especially since I main Colossus who gets fucked over by those guys on scooters.

I'm also now reminded I never finished MadWorld and should go back to that one.

Angus

Pac Man's got a beat-em-up? That would improve things. :sly:

We're back on Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands (Wii version). I got called in to help with some boss combat, but my gamer skills suck. Well at least Ubisoft's adaptation of King Kong was pretty good, but their Circus Games did not impress.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Man, just playing the X-Men Arcade demo makes me want to buy that next. It aged perfectly, I like how much space there is and the way the robots break apart across the screen is great. No cheaply animated deaths there.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

TMNT (arcade), TMNT III, Simpsons, Sengoku 3, RoDD, Final Fight, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and Streets of Rage 2 are all tops in my book.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"And it was good."

Fucking took long enough. Now we need a new Double Dragon and I'm ready to call this the best gen ever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, did anybody see the HVGN's review of the new Splatterhouse game? I thought it was a pretty fair review compared to the mainstream critics out there, and I did agree with most of his points on the gameplay from the 2 hours or so that I got to play of it when my friend rented it (though its only fair to point out that my friend himself hated it). I do think that it gets off to a bad start but that was only for the first hour or so, as I was really getting into the game a little later on, and its true that I don't like button mashers but this game deserves some credit for actually rewarding you for playing more skillfully, even though its not totally necessary like it is in other action games like this (in that regard I think the HVGN made it out to be a bit more skill-based with its combat than it really is, as you actually can still get away with a fair amount of button mashing in later fights as well, contrary to what he said....but then again maybe he's talking about MUCH later in the game, but my friend had gotten half-way into it, so I tried the beginning of the game on a new file and then tried his file to see what the game was like in the middle, and I still found that it wasn't that challenging). The game does have some poor design flaws and glitches but even NG2 had those and got away with it (which is weird, since that's the one thing I DIDN'T see NG2 criticized for, despite that complaint actually being true as opposed to most of the others).

Still, the game is still style over substance, and its not bound to be a true classic or anything like that, so personally from what I've played it seems like it would make a perfect rental rather than a full-on purchase (even at a used price).

And, I still find it hard to believe that some critics could give a game like Ninja Blade a fairly decent score yet treat this game as crap despite the fact that NB had pretty stale gameplay whereas Splatterhouse's combat was actually kind of fun to a degree (keep in mind that I'm one of those people who doesn't really hate NB, but rather I just don't personally care for it; and BTW calling it an NG rip-off, which is not, is something I considered to be an insult to NG in and of itself).

Spark Of Spirit

Part of the issue also comes with the fact that Splatterhouse had a messy development life. Bottle Rocket originally was making the game and apparently fucked it up so bad that they had to get another studio to salvage it, and in the process added the sidescrolling sections and threw off the pacing because it wasn't built from scratch and rushed for a deadline. Namco really shouldn't have rushed this as hard as they did.

I think if they simply scrapped Bottle Rocket's crappy work and started over from square one, it would probably have been a smoother experience.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on March 18, 2011, 11:47:09 PM
"And it was good."

Fucking took long enough. Now we need a new Streets Of Rage and I'm ready to call this the best gen ever.
fixed

Spark Of Spirit

I'll take both, actually.

But only if Koshiro does the music for it.

gunswordfist

Agreed. What's he up to these days?

Spark Of Spirit

Like beat em ups? Get the FINAL version of the Streets Of Rage Remake that is out now. It is packed with content, insanely fun, and better than anything Sega has done with the series since SoR3.

Glorious soundtrack is amazing.

The only quibbles I find is the lack of 4 player (2 only, unfortunately) and online, but everything else is pretty much anything you could want out of a SoR game.