JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 14, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Awesome! I can't wait to hear it.

How does the anime compare to the manga, btw? I enjoyed its adaptation of the first 2 arcs, but is the manga still worth experiencing otherwise? I feel like I can only purchase one right now, so I'd have to consider which to go for.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

The first season of the anime condenses the material, so things move a bit faster compared to the manga (the first episode adapted almost the entire first volume of the manga, for instance). Otherwise, it's a very faithful adaption. I prefer JoJo's as a manga on the whole based on the SC anime because the manga's pacing doesn't translate perfectly with an anime's pacing, among other things, but for the first two parts I'd say I do like watching the anime a bit better, since the early manga took a while to develop the art and style that it adopted later on. If cost is a concern, then I would advise you to go for the anime set, since it's only $40 if you buy it on Rightstuf, while collecting the manga will take longer and cost a fair bit more. The manga version of those parts is still worth experiencing, of course, and very much worth reading through other means if you get the time.

Dr. Insomniac

Wait, Vanilla Ice isn't okay but Billie Jean is? Though I suppose I like the stealth reference to that movie.

gunswordfist

Good fucking good was this episode good. I was planning on coming in here to say this even before the last few minutes.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 14, 2015, 01:17:59 AM
Wait, Vanilla Ice isn't okay but Billie Jean is? Though I suppose I like the stealth reference to that movie.
Wait, so he's straight up called Vanilla Ice? I thought they were saying that because they thought he looked like him or something, lol. where's Suge Knight when you need him? He would have gotten Vanilla to sign that over.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

gunswordfist

A few thoughts I have, some I shared elsewhere:

I like the first half of Phantom Blood more than most of Battle Tendency. I didn't like Battle Tendency more than PB until the Wamuu fight. I just didn't feel like Joseph had much to do until the vampires finally awoke, even though young Joseph is easily my favorite character in the show. Before that, it was just alright. From the Wamuu fight and beyond is when I think I really became a fan of the show in general.

The beginning of Phantom Blood is one of the favorite parts of the anime for me because it was like a kooky horror movie, like I've said before. I could enjoy an entire anime series like that. I've been hearing a lot of good about the show back then and it felt just as special as the hype suggested to me. The Hamon half is my least favorite arc of the show. I like Johnathan's adventure, it's just that I liked the other stories more and only Dio stood out out of all the characters there.

Obviously Stardust Crusaders is my favorite. It looks like I'm not the only one on the internet who thinks Kakyoin is the weakest link in the group. He's supposed to be one of the smart guys on the team..but barely does anything. All of his wins I can think are an old man, a baby and he made the world's smallest Stand flee. That's about it. His best strength is having Polnareff not die from stupidity...which Avdol did better. Plus we learn little about him.

It seems like almost everyone gets outshined by Jotaro, mostly when it comes to fights since I still can't pick a favorite between him, old Joseph and Polnareff, character wise. Anyway, I already said that Kakyoin has done little, Avdol's much better seeing how he told Joseph about Stands, iirc, fought most of the team (including Iggy, this time), with no loses against them, has a decent track record mostly because of that and he gave info on almost every enemy Stand user he saw on sight but I felt like he also hanged in the background too much, including outside of just fights. I also think he's a bit too stiff so he's not quite a favorite because of all that.

You think that Polnareff is about to shine again because he's going up against a sword wielding Stand user he has a win over and made it clear that it would be stupid for Star Platinum to fight Anubis with just his fists? He fights him with just his fists and even beats Polnareff in the process...whoa.  :srs: I would actually be upset if that wasn't easily my favorite fight in the entire show so far. Jotaro could have hanged back and watch Polnareff (as unlikely as that seemed) win. It seemed like just that was going to happen but no. Ora ora ora ora. The fact that Polnareff has never used Silver Chariot's clones again after the Avdol fight (so far? Don't tell me.) and almost never takes his armor off to go faster just makes things worse. His feats when they first meet him looked so awesome. Luckily this hasn't effected how much I like Polnareff, nor the fact that he's gotten little to no character development. He's just such a lovable idiot.

I'm fine with Joseph's and Iggy's roles though. I don't even have to explain Joseph personality wise and he's not really supposed to be a combatant here. I do wish he beat Older D'Arby though. It would have been nice to see Jotaro lose just once and then Joseph wins his soul back. Iggy...easily has the most character development. That can't even be argued, once I think about it. And he was very charismatic from the start.

I think that's everything I wanted to say.

The Shadow Gentleman

I've always felt that the first half of PB was really under appreciated, even with the new anime. It does a good job setting up the rest of the series and Jonathan and Dio's rivalry was actually pretty good, even if they did sort of drag it out in the second part. I feel PB would have benifited from either being a lot longer or a lot shorter.

And you're right, Jotaro is a real camera hog, probably more then any other JoJo. He works better as a supporting character in Part 4 & 6 in my opinion, especially when playing off the characters in those parts. I just can't wait for a Part 4 anime.

gunswordfist

:srs: Why'd you tell me that Jotaro survives?

The Shadow Gentleman

He can bullshit his way out of pretty much anything at this point.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the Joestar line needs to continue. It's not like the other Jojos procreated a spare kid along the way.

LumRanmaYasha

The only thing Jotaro needs to fear is GACT. Or rather, the absence of...

LumRanmaYasha

On the subject of today's episode, I totally fangasmed when Dio used za warudo to interrupt the opening. That was fucking amazing. The episode as a whole was pretty damn amazing. David Pro really came through in making this final battle epic in animated form.

gunswordfist

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on June 12, 2015, 08:03:35 AM
I've always felt that the first half of PB was really under appreciated, even with the new anime. It does a good job setting up the rest of the series and Jonathan and Dio's rivalry was actually pretty good, even if they did sort of drag it out in the second part. I feel PB would have benifited from either being a lot longer or a lot shorter.

And you're right, Jotaro is a real camera hog, probably more then any other JoJo. He works better as a supporting character in Part 4 & 6 in my opinion, especially when playing off the characters in those parts. I just can't wait for a Part 4 anime.
Ok, I'm off the phone now so I can answer you properly.  :)

Yes, the start of Phantom Blood did seem to be overlooked. I loved watching the two grow up. That's when Johnathan was at his best; when he was younger. His innocence got kind of boring as an adult. That and the fact that Dio is pretty much the only interesting character to me during the second half is probably why I didn't care for it too much.

I think Jotaro could have had a lot of great moments without the others getting pushed to the side. He makes most of the team look borderline incompetent. lol

I've been waiting to hear about Part 4 getting green lighted. I hope it does and we don't have to wait a year or so for it. I wouldn't be able to handle that. :(
Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on June 12, 2015, 10:19:40 PM
He can bullshit his way out of pretty much anything at this point.

Makes sense but still. :imnothappy:

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 12, 2015, 10:23:15 PM
Yeah, the Joestar line needs to continue. It's not like the other Jojos procreated a spare kid along the way.
Something Shadow said on Twitter made me think that the bloodline continued in another way (do not ask) but thanks for shattering my delusion. :humhumhum:
Quote from: Cartoon X on June 12, 2015, 10:48:50 PM
On the subject of today's episode, I totally fangasmed when Dio used za warudo to interrupt the opening. That was fucking amazing. The episode as a whole was pretty damn amazing. David Pro really came through in making this final battle shine in animated form.
Oh man, that part literally made my day. I was just about to go to the watching thread and go on about that. Ever since I rewatched Bloody Stream, I have always been suspicious about how "complete" the latest OP is. I thought that just meant the middle of it could get new content so Dio REALLY caught me by surprise. I also loved that Dio trolled beginning and end of the episode with how he got Stardust Crusaders cut off and had his music play while he was sent flying through the air. :D I always thought he was a decent villain but the newest episode made me a fan of his. Lastly, I was happy to see Enya Geil again. She's probably my favorite anime villainess.

gunswordfist

Dr. Insomniac