Games That You Wish Were More Influential

Started by gunswordfist, October 16, 2012, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Rabble on about your obvious or non-obvious choices for this subject.

Here's a few unexpected picks of my own:

Halo: Calm down, I know listing this game at all may seem stupid at all but FPSs have picked up every feature from this game...expect my favorite, how open-ended the levels are. Instead, FPSs have gone down the shallow path of being corridor shooters that play like cutscenes. I want more freedom and Halo gave the right amount of that.

Doom: Shut up, I know, it may seem even more outrageous than putting Halo here but again, I'm a sucker for freedom. I wish more FPSs would go with either Doom or Halo's type of level design.

Ninja Gaiden: I've said this in the past, this game has unfortunately influenced zero games, except like a handful at most of 2D indie games. You'd think devs would be all over this but instead they'd rather make QTE fests.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 16, 2012, 09:32:19 AM
Rabble on about your obvious or non-obvious choices for this subject.

Here's a few unexpected picks of my own:

Halo: Calm down, I know listing this game at all my seem stupid at all but FPSs have picked up every feature from this game...expect my favorite, how open-ended the levels are. Instead, FPSs have gone down the shallow path of being corridor shooters that play like cutscenes. I'm want more freedom and Halo gave the right amount of that.

Doom: Shut up, I know, it may seem even more outrageous than putting Halo here but again, I'm a sucker for freedom. I wish more FPSs would go with either Doom or Halo's type of level design.

Ninja Gaiden: I've said this in the past, this game has unfortunately influenced zero games, except like a handful at most of 2D indie games. You'd think devs would be all over this but instead they'd rather make QTE fests.

This, this, and this.

I agree with all of these points for basically the same reasons.

With Halo and DOOM, I completely agree that we need more freedom in FPS games. I'm tired of the narrow-ass scripted experiences of every Call of Duty game and their multiple clones. I don't mind a linear level structure, but Halo did it right in giving you a clear destination but allowing you multiple ways to traverse your environment and use it strategically to your benefit to either gain an advantage in battles or skip entire battles altogether. DOOM is the best dungeon-style FPS as its labyrinth like levels are expertly designed and filled with tons of secrets to explore. I want another game along those lines.

To add to these 2, I think that more FPS games should take ques from F.E.A.R., specifically in the AI department. To this day F.E.A.R. still feels like a more advanced FPS game than even the most recent shooters that I can think of. It really brought enemy AI to a whole new level and strategy in this game was not only essential but also what really made it stand out from its competitors. Its a game that requires you to think in addition to having good reflexes. If you go out there guns blazing or even try to treat the game like a basic stop n' pop cover shooter, you'll find yourself dead within seconds, and personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for Ninja Gaiden, I'd first start by mimicking what I said about the AI in F.E.A.R., except this is for a hack n' slash game. I mean, wow is it fun to fight other enemies that operate on the same basic mechanics that your character does, which contributes to this game's fighting-game like depth. I really wish more games would invest time in creating challenging enemy AI rather than just focusing on throwing more or bigger looking foes at you for a cheap "wow" factor. Either that or at least have a robust and highly creative and experimental combat system akin to DMC or Bayonetta. Also, bring back the more Zelda/Metroid-esque style level design from Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma. It really fits in perfectly well with a hack n' slash game.

gunswordfist

I remember when it seemed like games were moving towards having more freedom in the N64 era (wasn't there motto, "Go anywhere."??). I just don't understand this movie game trend. It doesn't even make sense for war games. If I actually wanted to play one, I'd want an open battlefield, not brown hallways.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 17, 2012, 10:40:34 AM
I remember when it seemed like games were moving towards having more freedom in the N64 era (wasn't there motto, "Go anywhere."??).
Yup. The fact that the original Thief from 1998 is still more open-ended than the majority of 3D games is shameful.

gunswordfist

That reminds me, I hope MGS Ground Zeroes is more freedom based like how the first half or so of MGS4 was. That was my favorite stealth game experience and still is.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So it's basically No Mercy with different character skins (to avoid copyright infringement) and updated graphics?

It's already better than any wrestling game from the past decade. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 03, 2014, 08:07:32 PM
So it's basically No Mercy with different character skins (to avoid copyright infringement) and updated graphics?

It's already better than any wrestling game from the past decade. :thumbup:
That's really all anyone has wanted, but no one in the industry seems to want to give.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

King Hippo

Radiata Stories.

It's a very obscure, very easy game. But I love it.

gunswordfist