Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

He needs to turn off his internet and go outside for a while.

Depression and the internet are not a good mix.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

QuoteI can beat a cat with a hose, but I can't rape it. Gotcha.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

This is not something I wanted to come home to people. This is just FUBAR.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Man, that review did not disappoint! I always thought that a Digimon Movie review would be the perfect material for a NC and JO crossover episode, and I was right! With the NC it was him bashing the movie from a newcomer's perspective as it makes absolutely no sense to anyone who hasn't seen the show, while from JO's hardcore fan point of view its complete garbage as its narrative has absolutely no sense of cohesion being that it sticks 3 completely separate films together and because it actively creates tons of plot holes both with the show and within itself.

Avaitor

I loved the movie as a kid, but looking back at it without nostalgia glasses, it doesn't really hold up in any conceivable way. In its English form at least. I'm sure if I watch the 3 specials separately in their original, unaltered Japanese, they'd hold up better.

But yeah, the way NC and JO alternate between confused, pissed-off newbie and devoted, pissed-off fanatic works very well, whether you were a fan or not.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 04, 2012, 12:51:16 PM
I loved the movie as a kid, but looking back at it without nostalgia glasses, it doesn't really hold up in any conceivable way. In its English form at least. I'm sure if I watch the 3 specials separately in their original, unaltered Japanese, they'd hold up better.

The first special is a fun little prequel in Japanese. Its only 20-minutes long but its a nice treat for fans of the show. The 2nd special, titled Our War Game in Japan, is excellent. Its easily the best part of the entire Digimon franchise, and I'd completely recommend watching it. The 3rd special I find to be a piece of crap even in Japanese, but that's because it was focused on the less interesting 02 characters and just had a boring plot to begin with. I'd recommend skipping that one entirely.

Daxdiv

Why God Why? Why did you remind me Angela Anaconda was a thing that existed? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Still a good review all the way. I think I can finally say with a straight face that I enjoyed a Nostalgia Critic episode in what feels like a year. I can't believe I actually said that. Excuse me, I might have to play League of Legends now.

Avaitor

I actually think this is the best year he's had in a while. Star Trek month was unnecessary, but I've enjoyed more videos he's done since then than I did around this time in the past 2 years.

New blog!

Commode

I've never seen this movie, but what is up with the licensed music in it?  Who thought that Barenaked Ladies or Less Than Jake would be a good fit for this?  This isn't Max Keeble's Big Move.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

They also had the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and LEN.

Quite a bit better than the first Pokemon movie's soundtrack at any rate.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Here's Nostalgia's Critic's Most Awesome Movie Themes:

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-top-11-most-awesome-movie-themes-6247332

Personally, I'd put Pirates at 10 or 11 (and/or replace it with The Empire Strikes Back), put James Bond at 7, and Lord of the Rings at 6; but whatever. His list, his rules. Plus it's a pretty good list, and I absolutely agree with number 1.

Avaitor

My biggest annoyance about the list is the lack of North by Northwest.

New blog!

Avaitor

Lindsay posted her top 11 flicks. Are you interested? No? Well, here are my thoughts towards her list anyway.

11- Good stuff. Young Frankenstein is my favorite Mel Brooks flick but it's hard to knock this one either.
10- Oh man, this is a crazy film. It's also proof that flash can be used as an artform if done well. I haven't seen it in years though, so I gotta change that.
9- Y'no what, at this point, I'm going to wait for The Hobbit movies before I watch the trilogy in full. Does that sound crazy?
8- I haven't seen it, but I heard good things about it. I do agree that Do the Right Thing is a good film, though!
7- Caught it on TV a  few years ago. I got a kick out of it, due to my love for noir/pulp. I haven't seen it since then though.
6- Heh, I never thought about it that way. I just think it's a sick movie. :P
5- Another classic.
4- This flick is pretty weird, but REALLY well done. I really need to rewatch it.
3- Meh. I should probably rewatch this as well though.
2- Pretty close to perfect, IMO.
1- Yeah, you all probably know that this is my favorite Pixar flick. And it's funny, the way she was anticipating and was received this one is exactly how I felt about Avengers. And no, that isn't my #1 right now, although it's somewhere in my top 10.

I'm not crazy on 3, but this is a better list than some of the others I've seen on this site, and there's nothing I dislike as much as Eyes Wide Shut.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Holy crap, the ending of the Baby Geniuses 2 review with all the guys reading 50 Shades Of Gray in different voices might have been the hardest I've laughed in a while.