Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Episode 16 will either make or break 11:30.

Daxdiv

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Losing an hour is certainly not a good thing, but at least it's an hour at the end of the night than at the beginning. I just hope KLK's timeslot doesn't get pushed back much farther thanks to this shake-up.

gunswordfist

goku just finished the last time he'll ever trained under someone else. a very important moment.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Toonami had a Q&A today.

Good to hear they dropped Death Note. It wouldn't have made much sense.

Daxdiv

Another important one I saw was how Toonami admitted that starting off with reruns of Attack on Titan hurt the block more than it helped. Makes sense to me.

LumRanmaYasha

They made a huge blunder keeping AoT reruns at the start of the block. Why the higher-ups forced that decision on them instead of having them do the obvious thing and put Kai as the front-runner is beyond me. Bleach reruns didn't do well at the start of the block, neither did Dandy reruns, so what made them think Titan reruns were going to do much better?

Daxdiv

My theory is because AoT is this generation's "babby's first anime" much like how DBZ was back in the day. That could go for SAO as well, but AoT probably had the advantage of airing earlier in the block and FUNi dominating the block as well. Maybe a higher up at Turner caught wind of how AoT is the cool new things kids are into these days and wanted to capitalize on that.

LumRanmaYasha

The labor day marathon did admittedly do pretty well too. Still, it's clear now no matter how big the show is, reruns leading off Toonami just never works out.

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on January 25, 2015, 04:02:35 PMThey made a huge blunder keeping AoT reruns at the start of the block. Why the higher-ups forced that decision on them instead of having them do the obvious thing and put Kai as the front-runner is beyond me.

They weren't forced to do it; it was their choice. They stuck with AoT reruns instead of a new show because the budget was running low.

They didn't stick Kai in at 11:30 since it was a long-running show. Which would you rather have at the start of the block: a long-running shonen that'll last a few years (remember, Bleach used to headline the block for the longest time) or something fresh they can rotate once in a while?

QuoteBleach reruns didn't do well at the start of the block, neither did Dandy reruns, so what made them think Titan reruns were going to do much better?

AoT reruns WERE doing well. Even when they dipped below a million, they were still pulling in 900k quite nicely.

It's the shows at 5AM, not AoT, that were doing poorly. That's why they're dropping that hour.

Lord Dalek

The ratings always crater around 1am, and this was before Titan reruns started leading off.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on January 25, 2015, 05:12:48 PM
They weren't forced to do it; it was their choice. They stuck with AoT reruns instead of a new show because the budget was running low.

They didn't stick Kai in at 11:30 since it was a long-running show. Which would you rather have at the start of the block: a long-running shonen that'll last a few years (remember, Bleach used to headline the block for the longest time) or something fresh they can rotate once in a while?

I recall DeMarco saying something about them being told to keep Titan at 11:30 because the programmers thought that'd be best. I don't see them not putting Kai at the front just because it's a long running show as one of their reasons, exactly because they were content with Bleach leading the block for all the time that it did.

Looking at the ratings for the past few months, I concede I was wrong about Titan's reruns. It does tend to be around the 1am hour where the block drags down. Maybe there's something else airing around that time that's taking viewers away.

LumRanmaYasha

Rynnec