Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That tends to be what happens when Pierrot makes your anime.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

My recollections of the second season were Kaneki dressed in fetish gear, this author lady who turned out to be a giant ghoul, and the show ending with a silent five-minute walking sequence.

Dreamer2

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 14, 2017, 10:55:10 PM
My recollections of the second season were Kaneki dressed in fetish gear, this author lady who turned out to be a giant ghoul, and the show ending with a silent five-minute walking sequence.

Well, lots to look forward too! :>

Quote from: Daikun on March 14, 2017, 10:17:44 PM
The anime started out in 2015 with a lukewarm reception, then what little hype the show had petered out, and the second season was poorly received.

I'm hoping Toonami only got the first season. It's as good as it gets.

DeMarco said on his Twitter that it's both seasons.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the short version of Tokyo Ghoul for anyone who wants to save themselves the trouble of watching through two full seasons: http://youtu.be/Ur-8ibFvAY4

Dr. Insomniac

Oh yeah, the lead actress for the Tokyo Ghoul live-action film ran off in the middle of production to join the Japanese version of Scientology, citing the original story's content as to why.

VLordGTZ

It's funny how Pierrot, a studio that has dragged out numerous shows like Shippuden and Twin Star Exorcists, thought it was a good idea to rush through the first half of the Tokyo Ghoul manga and then give it an anime original ending.  It's mind boggling that they had the chance to capitalize on one of the best selling manga in recent years, and completely walked away from it.

I'm not expecting to enjoy the Tokyo Ghoul anime on Toonami, but it's at least finally giving me some incentive to read the manga so that I can see how badly the anime handled the material.   

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on March 14, 2017, 10:17:44 PM

The anime started out in 2015 with a lukewarm reception, then what little hype the show had petered out, and the second season was poorly received.

Did it have a lukewarm reception? The first season is the 10th most popular anime on MAL and has over an 8 rating, so it seems like it's pretty popular with most anime fans. Not to mention it's still incredibly well-cosplayed and has tons of merchandise at every con I've gone to in the last couple years. And again, the manga is insanely successful over here. The second season might have had a mixed reception, but it doesn't seem to have damaged the series' overall popularity that much.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 14, 2017, 11:24:00 PM
Here's the short version of Tokyo Ghoul for anyone who wants to save themselves the trouble of watching through two full seasons: http://youtu.be/Ur-8ibFvAY4

Somehow I knew someone would post this. :D But didn't you say you've never watched or read the series back when we did our review of the manga on Manga Mavericks? 

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 14, 2017, 11:39:51 PM
It's funny how Pierrot, a studio that has dragged out numerous shows like Shippuden and Twin Star Exorcists, thought it was a good idea to rush through the first half of the Tokyo Ghoul manga and then give it an anime original ending.  It's mind boggling that they had the chance to capitalize on one of the best selling manga in recent years, and completely walked away from it.

I'm not expecting to enjoy the Tokyo Ghoul anime on Toonami, but it's at least finally giving me some incentive to read the manga so that I can see how badly the anime handled the material.   

My bet is that they'll pull a Blue Exorcist and adapt RE as if the second season never happened.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on March 14, 2017, 11:56:54 PM
My bet is that they'll pull a Blue Exorcist and adapt RE as if the second season never happened.

You're assuming that Pierrot is actually capable of good business decisions.   :> 

LumRanmaYasha

I'm being generous by giving them the benefit of the doubt.  :D

Lord Dalek

Tokyo Ghoul Season 1 was actually pretty well received at the time. In fact it was the most popular show of Summer 2014 IIRC.

Dreamer2

So, is season 1 at least decent? It sounds like season 2 is where it lost people. I really don't want another disappointing Toonami show. Seems like a trend for me recently.

Of course, just because other people dislike it doesn't mean I will, but still.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

CX: I watched at least part of the first season since then just to get a feel for the material. As expected it's not my cup of tea, but I might still try the manga someday if it's different enough from the anime. Still doesn't seem like my type of series, though.

Lord Dalek

Season 1 for what it is (a poor man's Parasyte), is pretty ok. Route A is just hot garbage though and all the requests for a season 3 are actually for more of a Tokyo Ghoul brotherhood type show.

Lord Dalek

Alright, scheduling update. Hunter X Hunter has been given a reprieve (no doubt due it's somewhat limited shelf-life) and will remain at 1:30. Gundam Unicorn on the other hand is getting g burried at 2 AM as its ratings hit rock bottom this weekend and are expected to get a lot worse.

Dreamer2

That's good! Gundam is a really boring show. Of course it helps that my Gundam knowledge is pretty much nonexistent. But, I wonder if I'd like it even if I had seen the prior shows.