Talk about life.

Started by talonmalon333, December 29, 2010, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't been to a con in a few years. The last time I went they didn't have a lot of interesting things going on.

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on May 27, 2014, 09:30:36 AM
I know some friends that went to a convention over in Raleigh this past weekend who had a similar situation with religious activists. The sad thing is, several of them were Christians themselves, so it was extra embarrassing.  :sweat:
Fundamentalists will be fundamentalists, there's nothing for them to be embarrassed about.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Il

Quote from: Micki! on May 26, 2014, 11:34:38 PM
Did you take photos Lord il..? would love to see the KLK cosplayers  ;D
No, but a nephew and a friend took some good pics. I'm kicking myself for not taking at least a few photos of some of the more exceptional cosplayers. If I don't get copies of their pics, I'll link up a few shots from others as they become available from the AN forums.

Quote from: Micki! on May 26, 2014, 11:34:38 PMAlso, the religious nut sounds scary, one thing is to have such opinions, but to get out of your way and actually actively confront it among a lot of people who have no ill intention directly towards him or his beliefs sounds really uncomfortable, and makes one feel unwanted in a place that is otherwise full of people who share these interests... Strange and sad how one person can actually affect people like that just because they feel like they have to invade other peoples business... Should have spent the time with the kids going for a trip and getting some icecream rather than publicly embarrass himself, he doesn't even need kids with him to get the message across, so it's really silly imo...
Some were a bit pissed off but the majority simply laughed at the situation for what it was. There was a gusty wind at times whereas this guy with the large sign was nearly blown around like a kite. :il_hahaha: The interesting thing I've noted about these religious activists when they work small in numbers is their wanting to have small children among them to create a type of buffer, a protective sheild against possible retaliation. Their mindset appears to be that "if I have these cute little children with me, no one would dare lash out at me verbally or physically," which seems extremely unfair to the kids to be used like that.

Quote from: Micki! on May 26, 2014, 11:34:38 PMAs for me, well this year i also didn't get into the animation school, that means another full year of creating yet another portfolio, and hoping it qualifies for next year...
My old portfolio is still up online though, and i'm not sure if i'll replace things over time or if i should just make an entirely new one, and keep the current one as reference...
Your work continues to become more amazing all the time. Only change what you feel is necessary to best show any of your evolved drawing skills.

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on May 27, 2014, 09:30:36 AM
I know some friends that went to a convention over in Raleigh this past weekend who had a similar situation with religious activists.
Interesting. So apparently this sort of occurrence is more common than I first thought.

Quote from: Micki! on May 27, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
I want to see them pursuing mascots in Disney World, it's way more frequent and shockingly those characters and people dressing as them have existed for much longer than these anime conventions..!  .3.
Exactly!

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2014, 11:22:10 AM
I haven't been to a con in a few years. The last time I went they didn't have a lot of interesting things going on.
I wish I had that problem. There wasn't enough hours in the day to take in everything. X_x

I regret not getting the chance to meet Michael Benyaer. Fans of Reboot will remember him as being the voice of Bob. Would've been neat to see Scott McNeil as well. They both have voice acting credits about a mile long.
8-)

Skeeter Valentine

I took a trip to Massachusetts last week to visit my ailing 89-year-old grandmother.

She was tough as nails for as long as I can remember, but she finally became unable to live by herself last year and has since then been confined to a nursing home. Most of the folks in the home were weak and senile, unable to speak or even move without help. My Nana was the strongest among them, happily showing me around the place, telling me what her daily life is like, and introducing me to the friends she's made there. He health, however, isn't what it used to be. Her memory is very spotty now, and her hearing is almost totally gone.

I made her day with my surprise visit. It was great seeing her again, but it's painfully obvious she's reaching the end of her life. So I'm not in a great mood right now.

talonmalon333

Hey guys! I'm home now. My trip down the shore was a lot of of fun, and I'm kind of sad that it's over. I also possibly broke my phone while down there. Today, we decided to go onto the boardwalk before leaving the shore. On the way, it started to rain a lot, but we still intended on going and walking in the rain. So while there and still stupidly taking photos, my phone got a bit wet, and now all pictures I take are somewhat blurry. Hopefully it'll be fine tomorrow. :P

But anyway, I'll be back to posting now.

Nameless

Quote from: Skeeter Valentine on May 29, 2014, 12:07:59 AM
I took a trip to Massachusetts last week to visit my ailing 89-year-old grandmother.

She was tough as nails for as long as I can remember, but she finally became unable to live by herself last year and has since then been confined to a nursing home. Most of the folks in the home were weak and senile, unable to speak or even move without help. My Nana was the strongest among them, happily showing me around the place, telling me what her daily life is like, and introducing me to the friends she's made there. He health, however, isn't what it used to be. Her memory is very spotty now, and her hearing is almost totally gone.

I made her day with my surprise visit. It was great seeing her again, but it's painfully obvious she's reaching the end of her life. So I'm not in a great mood right now.

I can sympathize. Seeing a family member in a state where they're not long for this world is a sad thing.

Skeeter Valentine

LumRanmaYasha

So am I. The summer's over and I didn't accomplish anything I set out too and that pisses me off and worries me since now my entire game plan for the rest of the year is shot. I got to be more responsible with my shit. Well, I have no choice but to make up for lost time during the fall, somehow.

What's got you down, may I ask?

Skeeter Valentine

Everything. I've gone through so much shit these past three years that it's unbelievable.

The Shadow Gentleman

I too didn't accomplish as much this summer as I would have liked to, although I did have a summer class, so that partially explains it. I'm starting school again today, but I'm hoping I'll be able to finish some stuff over the semester, like finishing LOGH and getting through my comic backlog.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Skeeter Valentine on August 18, 2014, 01:34:17 AM
Everything. I've gone through so much shit these past three years that it's unbelievable.

Sounds rough, man. Hopefully things get better for you soon.

Spark Of Spirit

Surprisingly, I got a lot of wanted I wanted to get done. Usually that doesn't happen so it's nice that it did for once.

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 18, 2014, 10:33:06 AM
Quote from: Skeeter Valentine on August 18, 2014, 01:34:17 AM

Sounds rough, man. Hopefully things get better for you soon.
Same here. I hope you manage to figure things out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Today I had a meeting to decide the hours for my internship. I'll be doing design work for the public school system, and hopefully I'll be able to improve my skills and the experience will come in handy when it comes to getting more work. This is shaping up to be a pretty good semester. It might even be less stressful then last semester, oddly enough.

talonmalon333

All I know is that summer went by way too fast this year.

Rynnec

Going to my first job interview tomorrow morning. Really hoping everything goes well.

The Shadow Gentleman

Good luck! Hopefully it will go smoothly.