Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Nel_Annette on December 03, 2013, 06:06:06 PM
You know, I haven't watched Total Drama Island since the first season, barring an episode here or there, but I've been watching the fifth season marathon today and... this split personality thing is stupid. Isn't this supposed to parody a reality show? Why can we see inside this guy's head?

TD has never been a realistic series. I mean, this is a show that has mutant animals, a gollum-like mentally deranged former contestant, and a shark that can walk on land as antagonists. At some point they decided to just do crazy shit alongside the reality show parody stuff and just roll with it.  I'd argue that the show and characters have evolved beyond just being parodies of reality show conventions and more of it's own thing now. Of course, Iit's always been a hit or miss show with humor and plotting and characters can still do stupid things and be annoying, so it can still be a drag sometimes. As for the split-personality thing, it's kinda stupid, yeah, but at the same time it makes for some amusing moments, so I don't have much of a problem with it, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

After watching a good chunk of episodes, I still think that Angry Beavers is one of the best Nicktoons. I still find it highly enjoyable even this many years later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

King Hippo

I think that Korra is a pretentious, poorly written, over-hyped pile of shit, and I await the day it's last episode airs and everyone can forget it ever existed.

King Hippo

On a more positive note, I think that WITCH and Oban Star-Racers are two of the best cartoons out there and that it's tragic that Disney just sort of let all the Jetix shows die without any hope of ever seeing the light of day again.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: King Hippo on December 30, 2013, 05:34:50 AM
I think that Korra is a pretentious, poorly written, over-hyped pile of shit, and I await the day it's last episode airs and everyone can forget it ever existed.
Have you watched the Wan two parter? They're easily the best episodes of the series, mainly because they're not bogged down by all the stupid plot points of the main story.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't exactly see how Korra is pretentious. It doesn't seem to have the problem of thinking that its smarter than it is, among all of the problems that it actually does have.

But not liking Korra isn't exactly an unpopular opinion as it is. If anything, it'll probably be remembered as the series that failed to live up to the standards of TLA.

King Hippo

To me Korra tries way too damn hard to imitate a serious action anime, which only makes it that much more obvious that it isn't at all. It might be a personal thing, but the emotions they try to convey don't work for me at all.

Avaitor

You know what wasn't a bad show? Dave the Barbarian.

I've always been critical towards Disney Channel stuff, but I always had a bit of a soft spot for this one, since it had a smidge of Jay Ward and 90's Warner influence in it. Paul Rugg probably explains the latter.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I've always enjoyed Dave the Barbarian myself. It might be my favorite Disney Channel animated series, honestly.

The Shadow Gentleman

Always had a soft spot for Dave the Barbarian. It's the only Disney Channel show besides American Dragon I've ever cared to rewatch.

gunswordfist

I hate how people call a show they've seen little to none of bad or overrated just because they think fanboys on the internet love it too much.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 24, 2014, 01:35:16 PM
I hate how people call a show they've seen little to none of bad or overrated just because they think fanboys on the internet love it too much.
You mean, yourself and SSM?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I actually watched Spectacular. Ask Spark and EK and thanks for playing. ;)

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 24, 2014, 01:35:16 PM

YES. God, yes. It's obnoxious when people hate on a show, and then you prod them about it, and you find out they've seen and know almost NOTHING about it. It's so stupid. Why hate on something just because it's popular? Just be indifferent and ignore the show and it's fans if you have to. You don't have to go out and call something shit just because it's popularity annoys you or you think it's something overrated.

I, personally, only "hate" shows I've actually watched, and a significant amount of at that. Even then, I only hate shows that REALLY pissed me off for how bad they are or became. Case in point, Fairy Tail, which started out as OK adventure shonen and eventually became an terribly plotted mess of a story with bland, undeveloped characters and is basically now a soft-core hentai that rips off plot elements from other, better series and fails at doing even THAT. But see, I watched 100+ episodes of Fairy Tail and read 300+ chapters so I actually know what's bad about it and how bad it can be. I've got justified anger at that series because I feel betrayed that I invested in a series that never lived up to promise and degenerated into one of the worst series I've ever read. When I call that series shit, it's coming from experience and a place with a hell of a lot more weight than someone who's barely seen any of it and has no reason to detest the series on that level aside from it's undeserved popularity.

It annoys me when people call something "shit" or bad but cant give legitimate reasoning why, more or less. They don't need to have sat through every episode of the show or anything. But more than a couple bloody episodes is only fair. Not liking something is one thing, but calling it "shit" and making an effort to bash something after only seeing little, unless that little is legitimately, extremely awful and offensive, is not justifiable grounds to hate on a show imo.