Rurouni Kenshin

Started by gunswordfist, February 08, 2011, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 27, 2013, 10:53:18 PM
Watch a Rurouni Kenshin episode, then put on a Legato episode of Trigun and don't look at the screen.

Your mind will freak out just a bit!

That actually sounds like it'd be an awesome experiment. :o

What might be even better is if you took a person who had never seen, read, or even heard of either Rurouni Kenshin or Trigun, then have them listen to intermixed recordings of the dubs for those 2 shows. You'd have Kenshin's voice come on first, and then it'd transition to Legato's voice, and then switch back to Kenshin lines, and the person listening would be totally thrown off and baffled and probably think they were listening to just 1 fucked up anime. :lol:

gunswordfist

I had no clue they had the same voice actor.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

So the director is almost done with the second movie, based on the Kyoto Arc. Aoshi looks decent.

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A lot of people really seemed to like the first movie.

I myself thought it was kind of an "eh" feature, though to be fair it was based off of the weakest and least-structured story-arc in the manga. I think in particular, though, trying to translate the manga into live-action form so directly doesn't work well because obviously what works in cartoon form may come off extremely goofy in live-action, and the first live-action film definitely felt hammed up to the extreme. Yet, I still wouldn't call it a bad film like I would for both of the live-action Death Note movies. On the whole, I did enjoy it enough to actually be interested in seeing the sequel.

Rynnec

LumRanmaYasha

It was already all up on Hulu. Though, Crunchyroll seems to be uploading the subs too, which is neat. They only have the first four episodes right now, though.

Rynnec

Crunchyroll has the good dub.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's the dub with Steve Blum playing Shishio, right? That's easily one of my favorite Blum roles. It made it odd when I watched Book 1 of Korra, though, because I kept picturing Shishio whenever I heard Amon's voice.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 17, 2013, 07:57:17 PM
That's the dub with Steve Blum playing Shishio, right? That's easily one of my favorite Blum roles. It made it odd when I watched Book 1 of Korra, though, because I kept picturing Shishio whenever I heard Amon's voice.
Shishio: I am the solution.

I'll have to rewatch Rurouni Kenshin (now on my 360, right? ;D) one day just to do a comparison since I've read the manga. (which is now my favorite manga)

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

FUNimation has licensed the live-action film trilogy. Theatrical screenings for each film are planned for this August, September, and October respectively.

Spark Of Spirit

Cool, I guess.

Can't say I particularly care, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A lot of people seemed to like the live-action movies. I checked out the first one a few years ago, and while I respect the heart and effort put into it (with more reliance on real sets, stunts, and fight choreography as opposed to bad CG), as well as the excellent costume design, the actual writing and acting really fell flat for me and the movie just wasn't very good. It wasn't the worst that I've seen, but it's far too cartoony and over-the-top for a movie that's clearly taking itself very seriously. Still, I'm kind of interested in checking out the sequels just since I'm a huge RK fan. If nothing else, you can tell that the people behind these films invested a lot of genuine care and effort in its production, even if the end result isn't very good.

It sort of comes off as a glorified fan film in that way. It reminds me of stuff like Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope and Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist, which, let's be real, are pretty awful when taken at face value, yet you still can't help but admire the clear dedication that went into the production of projects like those. In that regard, it's at least a lot more watchable than stuff like the live-action AOT or Parasyte movies, among many other turds in the bunch when it comes to bad manga adaptations.

In that regard I'd also camp it in with the live-action Ashita no Joe movie, which was also bad, but the love was still there and you can tell that the people making it really did try. Sometimes movies like that are like guilty little pleasures to me.