What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Whiplash might be my favorite film from 2014, give or take Selma. And I'm usually not much of a biopic person at all, but everything about Selma was just as it should be. Ava DuVernay's direction was out of this world, as she got into every little detail perfectly, and helped to make the whole cast shine. Altogether, it's easy to fall for the film and feel like you're there with Dr. King. Such a great film.

After those, it's probably Inherent Vice, and then any given Marvel movie from last year, taking away ASM 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me, it's:
1. The Babadook
2. Whiplash
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel
7. Edge of Tomorrow
8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
9. John Wick
10. The Lego Movie

At least so far. I still have a bunch of movies to catch up on.

Foggle

My favorites were (going by US wide release dates)

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Why Don't You Play in Hell?
3. Calvary
4. Birdman
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Snowpiercer
7. Gone Girl
8. X-Men: Days of Future Past
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. The Lego Movie

But I still need to see Whiplash and Selma, and a few others.

Avaitor

Let me see if I can do this.

1- Selma
2- Whiplash
3- Mr. Turner
4- Guardians of the Galaxy
5- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6- Inherent Vice
7- The Grand Budapest Hotel
8- Boyhood
9- Big Hero 6
10- Snowpiercer/X-Men: Days of Future Past (tie)

I forgot about a few things! And my big ones to see from last year are Birdman, Force Majure, Gone Girl, and a few docs.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Last night I watched John Wick and then Captain America The Winter Soldier for the first time. Boy, was that a good movie night!

John Wick was the best non-superhero American action movie I've seen since.....I'm coming up with blanks. I really liked it. I love how they didn't overuse editing. The action scenes were nice and smooth. They knew when to not play music and when to play music (most notably for me, is the music that played when John escaped from being captured. That whole scene was awesome). I liked the dry humor and the MMA moves used during some action scenes. It was also nice seeing GSP's old teammate Keith Jardine (the blonde beard henchman at the club scene) in the film. My only complaint is that the movie wasn't anywhere near as exciting after the club scene which was kind of early in the movie. I hope Keanu Reeves works with this team again on something else. Between this and Ronin 47, which I thought was decent, 2014 is the best year Keanu has had since 1999.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

5. Thor 2
4. Ronin 47
3. John Wick
2. The Desolation Of Smaug
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm way behind on movies, like always.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

All of those except for Winter Soldier and John Wick are 2013 movies.

Also, great lists, Avaitor and Foggle! :thumbup:

I still need to get around to watching some of those movies, myself. I did want to address that Snowpiercer is awesome, and easily would have ranked way up on my list, but I chose not to include it since I personally consider it to be a 2013 film by default (if we're not going by its U.S. release date). This also shows what a great actor Chris Evans is outside of just Captain America.

gunswordfist

:D I really don't get out much.

gunswordfist

Oh right, they came out at the end of 2013. I forgot to check.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 26, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
Also, great lists, Avaitor and Foggle! :thumbup:
Thanks, you too! :)

QuoteI still need to get around to watching some of those movies, myself. I did want to address that Snowpiercer is awesome, and easily would have ranked way up on my list, but I chose not to include it since I personally consider it to be a 2013 film by default (if we're not going by its U.S. release date). This also shows what a great actor Chris Evans is outside of just Captain America.
Yeah, like 3 of the films on my list are technically 2013 movies, so I just decided to make it easier on myself and go by the US release dates. :sweat:

gunswordfist

LumRanmaYasha

Looking at these lists reminds me how few movies I saw last year, even though I meant to go see stuff like Boyhood and Grand Budapest Hotel. I need to get on those, and some others on your guys' lists too.

FTR, I guess my Top 10 from what I did see would be:

1. PK
2. Birdman
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Edge of Tomorrow
7. The Lego Movie
8. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
9. Big Hero 6
10. How to Train Your Dragon 2

gunswordfist

I still need to see the first and last Hobbit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Your list reminds me that I should probably watch Princess Kaguya (and more Ghibli films general).

Also, my most anticipated movie of this year is still The Boy and the Beast, which just got a trailer recently: http://youtu.be/uifJLWoWv8c

It looks like what you'd get if you made a battle shonen as a film, and it was actually good. Though mind you that trailers for these Hosoda films always undersell the more nuanced and darker/tragic elements that accompany his stories (this is very true for both TGWLTT and Wolf Children).

gunswordfist

Might have to check that trailer out. Summer Wars is my 2nd favorite anime movie.