The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You enjoy SS and AoL more than the Oracle games or Minish Cap?

Any particular reason?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, like I said, being that I haven't played SS I can't comment on that game, but I'd be interested to hear you're reasoning for preferring AoL over the Oracle games and Minish Cap as well? I guess its a very divisive game, but I found those other games to be near perfect at what they set out to do. With AoL, even for people who like its gameplay style a lot of them still agree that it has flaws compared to other 2D side-scrolling games.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2012, 07:22:01 PM
You enjoy SS and AoL more than the Oracle games or Minish Cap?

Any particular reason?

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 30, 2012, 07:44:55 PM
Well, like I said, being that I haven't played SS I can't comment on that game, but I'd be interested to hear you're reasoning for preferring AoL over the Oracle games and Minish Cap as well? I guess its a very divisive game, but I found those other games to be near perfect at what they set out to do. With AoL, even for people who like its gameplay style a lot of them still agree that it has flaws compared to other 2D side-scrolling games.

I do have my issues with SS. As I've said before, I hate "everything that it stands for". It basically compiles all of my problems with modern Zelda... Having said that, when the game does things right, it completely wows me. The dungeons that aren't just average or mediocre are some of the best in the series, the story arc involving Link and Zelda is wonderful, the songs that are memorable are lovely, and so on.

I think AoL is very underrated. I do understand the issues people have with it, though. However, the only problem with it that I have, is going back to the beginning after every Game Over. Everything else about the game is great. I truly do believe that LoZ and AoL have the best concepts in the series, even though neither could really use those ideas to their fullest potential, due to their age... Oh, and luckily, re-releases fixed those seizure inducing death scenes. :P

I've been replaying OoS and OoA lately. I do think both are great games, better than I remember, actually. They are low on my list purely by default.

As for MC, I think this is the only part I'll have to highly disagree. It was a good game, but I think it was the most standard game in the series. It rarely failed at things, but it also didn't excel at anything for me. I should replay it someday, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it was the last classic style Zelda game, so it probably gets a pass for that, but I thought the shrinking gimmick was one of the best in the series which led to a lot of fun puzzles and situations. Replaying it on the 3DS reminded me of how much I miss Zelda games like this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

I love the hell out of Minish Cap, but the overworld feels really, really small to me. But then, replaying Links Awakening, that overworld felt smaller than I remember too.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 30, 2012, 08:43:17 PM
Well, it was the last classic style Zelda game, so it probably gets a pass for that, but I thought the shrinking gimmick was one of the best in the series which led to a lot of fun puzzles and situations. Replaying it on the 3DS reminded me of how much I miss Zelda games like this.

I do really love the old 2D style Zelda. Miss it, too. The stylus controls in the DS games were awful ("No Link, swing your sword at the enemy! Don't roll into it!" "Link, why'd you jump off that cliff? Idiot!"). :P

Anyway, hopefully my above explanation covered what you guys were asking. I'm not the best at explaining things... In the meantime, I just finished OoS (Onox actually gave me a bit of trouble, Veran didn't though). These would be my updated tiers.

Tier 1: OoT, MM, TP
Tier 2: LoZ, ALttP, LA, WW
Tier 3: AoL, OoS, OoA, SS
Tier 4: MC, PH, ST
Tier 5: FS, FSA

Nel_Annette

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on August 17, 2012, 10:23:57 AM
Hyrule Historia is coming January 16 for $35. I must have it!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-921/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Hyrule-Historia-HC

Does that contain anything about development history or artwork. If it's just about things like the timeline and character stories, I'll pass. In all honesty, Zelda's lore is a bit... dead, to me. :P

Nel_Annette

There's concept art. And if that's not good enough, well, more copies for me.  :thinkin:

talonmalon333

What do most of you guys think of Twilight Princess?

Nel_Annette

Insanely overhyped year after year until it came out. Zelda felt much more minor with Midna and Ilia around. Didn't really like the wolf gimmick, thought we spent too much time in Ordon Village, hate hate HATED that Ganon took over the antagonist role from Zant. I dunno, the second he took over, the whole thing felt like it fell flat on it's face. Ganondorf just feels... there. Also, the majority of the NPCs were ugly as hell. Design-wise, not graphic-wise.

That said, I love the nods to previous games (music stones, Old Kakariko, the Hero of Time's spirit, the Temple Of Time), I thought the Twilight Realm sections were beautiful, the overworld was awesome, I like how lively Hyrule Castle Town was, I enjoyed the dungeons and bosses, the music is great, and while I don't like Ganondorf being there, his death scene is badass.

It's the last Zelda I liked, but unlike the games before it, I didn't really want to play it again.

Fun Fact: I actually won the game in a Nintendo Power contest back in 2006. Got a Twilight Princess shirt along with it.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, cool! Congrats on that!

I got TP with my launch Wii and played through a chunk of it before I lost interest. The dungeons and bosses were cool, but I didn't really like how slow everything was and how boring most of the over-world quests were.

It's sort of like Skyward Sword to me where I think its a great game on its own merits, its not really the Zelda style I enjoy. I prefer the more focused and experimental ideas of Majora's Mask or as wide and clever as Wind Waker when it comes to 3D Zelda.

Rynnec

I lost interest in the middle of the Temple of Time. The sidequests (which make up the bulk of Zelda for me, personally) were rather forgettable, and it didn't help that none of the Town area's where fun to explore. Compared to Wind Waker, it felt like a real step down.

Kiddington

It's decent, but come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever beaten it. I honestly can't remember where I left off though.

Count me in as someone who liked Wind Waker a lot better, which is still, IMO, the last truly great Zelda (haven't played Skyward Sword yet).

talonmalon333

Be careful with spoilers, Nel. :P

Anyway, I was a big fan of TP. The dungeons blow WW's out of the water (no pun intended), and I really liked the atmosphere and story. Admittedly, some of Zelda's bad habits showed in this game, like too much filler content. But then again, are you guys letting WW get away with that? :P