Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

First of all, we've been down this road. This is nothing new. We already knew that this film would have a large cast, so I don't get why peopke are treating it like news.

Now, to be fair, it just says that those characters will be appearing in the film. Appearing and having major roles are two completely different things. For example, Black Panther will most likely only get a cameo, as will several other characters mentioned.

The only people we know will be having major roles are all of the core CA characters from the last two movies, and Tony Stark/Iron Man. I also want to give the Russo Brothers the benefit of the doubt, as Winter Soldier was excellent, and I recall them saying that this would still very much be Steve's story, despite the other characters.

Personally, I'm no longer a fan of jumping on the "it's going to suck" bandwagon until I've at least seen a trailer or something. With the MCU's track record since their inception, they get it right more often than not, so I'm going to give this a chance and see the movie before I make any bold claims about it.

Spark Of Spirit

I never said it would suck in my last post.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Spider-Man's in it, too.

Let's just hope it's better than the comic book.

Spark Of Spirit

Kind of hard for it not to be better, really.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 07, 2015, 09:06:47 PM
Kind of hard for it not to be better, really.
Yeah, as long as Captain America doesn't start talking about how shitty America is, it'll be better than the source material. ;D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He's also only getting a cameo, though.

As for the movie, I feel like it'll take more cues from the Death of Captain America story-line written by Ed Brubaker (which is part of Civil War), rather than anything written by Mark Millar. Also, Kevin Feige said that movie Civil War would be very different from comic Civil War, so there's also that.

talonmalon333

What do you guys think they are going to do about these movies when the actors, for any reason (age, no longer contractually obligated, etc.) aren't returning?

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 07, 2015, 09:11:50 PM
He's also only getting a cameo, though.
Then that pretty much proves the film will be completely different from the comic. :D He was one of the most important characters IIRC.

QuoteAs for the movie, I feel like it'll take more cues from the Death of Captain America story-line written by Ed Brubaker (which is part of Civil War), rather than anything written by Mark Millar. Also, Kevin Feige said that movie Civil War would be very different from comic Civil War, so there's also that.
Y'know, between Kick-Ass and Kingsman, I kind of wish Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman were the ones to adapt Civil War. They've taken Millar's ideas and improved them 100-fold twice now. :rtard:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
What do you guys think they are going to do about these movies when the actors, for any reason (age, no longer contractually obligated, etc.) aren't returning?
Kill them off or pull a War Machine.

Spark Of Spirit

Brubaker's stuff is much more interesting to adapt than Millar's, so I hope it does. Also, Baron Zemo being there is a good touch. I'm guessing it'll center on Cap and his team, but hopefully it also centers on the search for Bucky, too.

Speaking of Brubaker, I'm hoping his Iron Fist stuff ends up in the series. It got pushed to last in the upcoming series, so I hope there's a reason for it.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
Not use them, I assume. They sign contracts for multiple movies and when their arc is done, that's when it ends. If they don't come back after their contract is up, they just don't use the character.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, both of those guys did a good job adapting shitty material, but who's to say that the Russo Brothers can't? After all, they have proven that they really understand how to make a good CA movie.

Though, Matthew Vaughn did also direct X-Men: First Class, so he's got three solid comic book films under his belt.

Foggle

I just mean that they seem to have a knack for taking Millar's work and making it good. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And now the Russo Brothers will (hopefully) prove that they aren't the only ones who have a knack for it. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

I saw a video on youtube the other day comparing the comic book and movie versions of Kick-Ass and it's not even a competition which was the better of the two. I wasn't aware Millar could be such a terrible writer, but there's your proof.

Only problem I have with First Class now is the uneven pacing and some of the cringeworthy dialogue. Otherwise it gave a second wind to the series after X3 almost killed it.

Dr. Insomniac

It's a shame Vaughn's only producing the new Fantastic Four movie. Would do wonders to alleviate the mountain of doubt for that film.

Foggle

Aw, I didn't think any of the dialogue in First Class was cringe-worthy. It had the best line in X-Men film history when they meet Wolverine at the bar!